Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
The day was ugly and grey throughout, but dry overall. Two commutes today as I went home for lunch and reached my 50 mile target for April. With a bit of luck I may even reach 75 miles this month.

subaqua

What’s the point
it's also much cheaper than dive kit :-p
I am not convinced on that one ...

dhd.evans

Veteran
March was the last time i had any bother with drivers worth commenting on. Hit this downhill section this morning on the aerobars and in the big ring so was cruising at about 40mph. Although this guy clearly can't judge speed:

C R

Guru
Another miserable looking ride, but dry. Had a close pass by a MGIF cyclist in a narrow potholed path, otherwise, uneventful ride to work.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@dhd.evans nasty twerp in the Polo. Worth reporting ? He'll say you were going faster than he thought..

Had a moderate tailwind this morning down the A38, it felt pretty quick but was some way off any personal record performances from last summer.

Looking forward to warmer temperatures next week.

si_c

Guru
Another damp ride in this morning with intermittent rain. Back on the quick bike again today having replaced the BB when I got in last night, the cage on the old one had totally disintegrated, explaining the half inch of play in each direction.

dhd.evans

Veteran
@dhd.evans nasty twerp in the Polo. Worth reporting ? He'll say you were going faster than he thought..

Had a moderate tailwind this morning down the A38, it felt pretty quick but was some way off any personal record performances from last summer.

Looking forward to warmer temperatures next week.

Potentially; he and I were travelling the same route as well and as we parted ways he was fair staring me down so i gave him the universal "i've got my eye are on you" gesture. Hopefully there won't be another encounter like this on that hill. Tailwinds precipitated the 40mph stint so i'm saddened i had to slow down!

Sixmile

Veteran
I dropped off the kids to school since my wife was on nightshift last night. I seen the traffic tailed back quite a bit so pulled over and got the kids out to walk the last 1/2 mile. We even had the scooters in the boot so let the lil one scoot to her sisters school, then scooted back to the car to get her bag and I locked the car again to walk the other direction to her nursery. "We have to drive to Nursery" she says, "Mummy always drives". Fifteen minutes later we were at the Nursery and I ran back to the car, bike off the roof, seasucker in the boot, changed shoes and rode 14 mile onto work. Setting off after 9am meant I was a little late into work but still made decent time since the roads were a lot quieter than pre 9am. Got a wee surprising 'overall top 10' on one of the roads too ^_^

gaijintendo

Veteran
Though I had a chain drop after a quick stop to check I fidndd leave my house keys in a lock at home.

I hadn't left them, and I didn't drop a chain, i have just been riding fixed so much i had forgotten what a low gear felt like!

John_S

Über Member
Last night I had a couple of mechanicals on the way home which was annoying but still that beat a commute home earlier in the week.

On Monday on an urban road I had a car nearly pull out in front of me from a side road but it stopped just in time however it was over the white lines and creeping. Then the car having pulled out of the side road after I'd passed then proceed to do a really close pass on my just before pulling over to the left hand side of the road and stopped right in front of me. In the heat of the moment I'm afraid to say that I did resort to the use of some fairly agricultural anglo saxon sent in the direction of the inconsiderate driver.

Then after that I'd got out of the city onto some smaller roads and I had a car come past me pretty quick for what was a small rural road and having just sped past me it then went past a junction a short while after that before slamming its brakes on and started to reverse towards me which was nice of them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unexpected rain this morning. The weather report was for dry but foggy. They didn't include the rain bit. OK it was fine rain, not exactly stair rods, but rain never the less so it counts towards the rainy commute total.

Rainy commute # 26 for the year (for comparison the same point last year, only 6 rainy commutes & 31 over all for 2017).

Apart from the rain it was a nice, fastish commute, trying to keep up with a full on roadie along the A21. One of my regular cycle commuting same route chums. I can still feel Sunday's 140 mile Audax in my legs though.

Spartak