Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Had last week off work back to cycling Monday. Really glad to be back cycling this week . Much better weather and light. This morning nice and easy but wind in face a little. Left work at 4 decided to push on was home at 11 mins past its 2.9miles. The quickest I have been home. Wind was great :-) Still enjoying it and loving the fact it costs me nothing. Can't wait for the better weather. Seeing a few more people cycling to work. Bike was 200 pounds had it four and half months. Getting rid of a car the bikes now paid off its self easy. Great stuff.

Randombiker9

Three things happend today:

1. I was cycling and car driver travelling opposite driver shouted farking (It auto corrected to farking) idiot. WTH i wasn't even travellng the same direction
2. Close pass with a car (L117 AU7) . (first time i've actually remembered reg number)
3. Stupid teens from my old school were being stupid and a pain saying i shouldn't be in middle of the road (i wasn't i was in the lane and they cycling right in gutter/door zone) and just verbal bullying me i had to change my route as one of those was about to get something out and saying. One of them was going to get something out his bag to threaten me. So i think he might of had a knife on him :/ although don't know.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm on carb fast as I have lots of "training ballast" to lose, and me and Mrs. 66 are having a fat-shedding contest.

I rode in this morning with no brekky. Never good, but I find it makes me ill to ride first thing in the morning with a full stomach. I was going to have some scrambled egg and sausage when I got in, instead of which I got involved in an issue which kept me on the phone all day.

Just before I left, I broke the carb fast with a two finger Kit Kat. Then I had to ride home. It's 21k each way. With hills. Then I had to run out to get a bus to Bromley.

I have bonked spectacularly. I'm shaking like a sh*tt*ng dog.

Guinness required methinks, carb fast be hanged.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
Got an absolute soaking on the way in today. It turns out my waterproof jacket is no longer waterproof. I have a new one on the way. I'm hoping everything dries out enough for my ride home

clippetydoodah

Nice commute in. I underestimated how cold it was and didn't take my
leg warmers, or shoe covers. Arrived at work with glowing red legs, and
cold toes.

Sixmile

Veteran
Nice dry calm commute in. Although after Monday, when it was meant to be nice and dry and I ditched the overshoes/jacket and got drenched, I put on the overshoes & gilet just in case.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lucky for this guy, one of us was paying attention. You can't hear it, but my shout as he steps out may have been the only thing to prevent a collision, the slow-mo section is 2-2.5 seconds. My rear wheel locked under heavy braking once he stepped out meaning I could only swerve slightly without losing control. It looks like I barely reacted when it is played back, but in the situation you can't commit to a swerve or bail out before you make the call on which way the pedestrian is going to hop/skip/jump/run.

View: https://youtu.be/BpkjjKqdrEY

Sorry to dissent from @Tizme and @Randombiker9 but if those zig-zags are the standard 2m, then I think he had both feet on the road well away from the kerb when you were 12m away. I'm not sure what speed you were doing but the old 1999 CTC standard for hire bikes is to stop with two brakes from 15mph in 5.5m and I understand that's the same as in BS6102/1. Even from a bit faster than 15, if you locked a wheel and couldn't stop in 12m, then either your brakes or (sorry) your braking method need attention before you hurt someone (probably yourself), or you should go slower unless you can see a much clearer path ahead.

subaqua

What’s the point
Got an absolute soaking on the way in today. It turns out my waterproof jacket is no longer waterproof. I have a new one on the way. I'm hoping everything dries out enough for my ride home

mine wasnt till I reproofed it a few weeks ago. its love;ly again. bust the zip on the pocket though so looks like an afternoon of cursing

rivers

How far can I go?
mine wasnt till I reproofed it a few weeks ago. its love;ly again. bust the zip on the pocket though so looks like an afternoon of cursing

it's been re-proofed several times. I've had it for a few years and it was cheap to begin with, so it was due for replacing

Top Bottom