Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's even worse when a moton drifts on purpose just to cut you off. Ignorant twats.

There was a slight chill in the air this morning in deepest darkest Kentishire. But warmed up for the second part of the cycle commute.

Agreed - I thought it was a case of that, but realised it was just a phone addiction problem as I passed by. Nice temperatures today.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Oh bajesus.I have done that on my bike,also.I am bad people.:shy:
I use the same post box, but dismount. there's a world of difference between a bike and a large white van. the driver was just being plain lazy.

KneesUp

Guru
Saw utter pig laziness this morning on my way to the B2B railway Path. Bloke in white van drives up into the middle of the pavement opposite a post box so he could post a letter, parking about 1m from the box. There is a nice wide road, no yellow lines, so he could have parked perfectly legally without driving up onto the pavement so he's a wee bit nearer the box. Lazy oik:angry:.
I know a vicar who used to do this (and maybe he still does).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How do you sell cars in King's Lynn? Remind people they can use them to move bikes!
howtosellcars.jpg

Uneventful commute today otherwise except that Southgates Roundabout has been renamed "Gareth Southgates Roundabout" by the local radio station that sponsors it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I use the same post box, but dismount. there's a world of difference between a bike and a large white van. the driver was just being plain lazy.
I usually use the post box on the cycleway but when I use the late-collection box on the industrial estate, I don't dismount. However, I would give way to any pedestrians if I ever saw any on that footway (but we can't have a cycleway through the industrial estate because the highway corridor "isn't wide enough" yet they won't do what they've done elsewhere and have a footway one side of the carriageway and a cycleway the other :rolleyes: )

Hate it when you are filtering gently up the inside of very slow moving traffic and one truck slowly drifts towards the kerb to cut you off. You then have to go round the outside and yes, the dozy git is looking down at his sodding phone ('cos I ain't moving, safe, innit?) ... sigh... but that was only five seconds out of a glorious warm sunny 12 miler !

I had much these on the way in, as some NUMPTY drifts left and cuts off the cycle lane ahead of me as the lane stopped for a red light.. I cutaround him as had turned stationary and as I passed his window he was sending g a text message! I muttered "cycle path mate" really should stop saying mate to twonks.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Saw utter pig laziness this morning on my way to the B2B railway Path. Bloke in white van drives up into the middle of the pavement opposite a post box so he could post a letter, parking about 1m from the box. There is a nice wide road, no yellow lines, so he could have parked perfectly legally without driving up onto the pavement so he's a wee bit nearer the box. Lazy oik:angry:.
At least he parked - I've seen a couple of occasions where the driver or passenger was able to post the letter without having to get out of the car!

After two and a half weeks with no problems, there appeared to be an epidemic of bad/stupid driving on the way to work this afternoon. One U turn without making sure the road was clear, one pull out from a driveway without looking (driver sporting a dog collar), two pull outs from parking bays without looking (one from each side of the road), one indicating right ahead of me at a T junction only to turn left (thankfully I hadn't filtered up the inside) and finally I was indicating to turn right into a side road when the driver coming in the opposite direction turned left into the same road only to stop and block it as she wanted to do a U turn but had to wave me past so she could complete it!

Leaving work at 8pm, I hardly saw any other traffic for some reason...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Midday commute in, and midnight commute back using my quickest 12 ish mile route. Bit nippy on the way home, 14c, but still OK in shorts.
First commute backpackless as I now have an Altura Arran, courtesy of @tincaman , much easier, but I have to organise myself better so everything is in the right place. Also, the bike handles differently with a few extra pounds under the saddle rather than on my back!

Zero numpties to report, and, busy busy busy.... 4 cars overtook me (with loads of space) on my way home. Maybe the flappy hi-viz vest, Bontrager Flare and reflective decals on my spd’s confused them into slowing down? I do hear confusion in their engine revs as they approach ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Damn this long distance commuting lark.

Yesterday the office closed early so everyone could get home for the footy match.
So, there was nothing foR it except to cycle all the way home. A shade under 34 miles door to door, taking a slightly, quicker more direct route home. The A21 to Pratts Bottom, over the hills to Wrotham then the A20 the rest of the way. I was a bit of a sweaty mess by the time I had got home. It was warm out there.
upload_2018-7-12_9-49-26.png

After last nights footy excitement, I think it was still buzzing round my mind this morning as I was wide awake at 5am. So thought might as well cycle all the way back in to work this morning. Once again, taking a similar quicker more direct route, but taking in the thigh burning Star Hill up, over and down to Orpington.
At Bromley I ran into a couple of long time regular cycle commuting chums, Kev and Graham, so it was nice to chat whilst taking turns leading out along the A21 race track.
upload_2018-7-12_9-50-51.png

The old legs are feeling surprisingly good.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Midday 12.5 miles in, and as I stills had a bit of energy after a 10 hour shift, I took different 16 mile to route home.
No muppetry to report apart from a few folk not dipping their headlights until I give them a bit of full beam back from my 1100 lumen searchlight.
Works every time ^_^

Top Bottom