Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
So long as my brain and brakes work I'm not too bothered.

Hasn't rained recently which seems to have left some people disappointed.
Sometimes I almost miss the winter...almost:okay:. Lots of close encounters with the local wildlife recently- a moth flew right past my face, then a bat flew down and plucked it out of the air . A couple of minutes later, I spotted a Tawny Owl sat on a branch right above my head. There seem to be a lot more bats around recently...my evil manageress is just back from holiday, but that must be just coincidence;).

Lonestar

Veteran
Sometimes I almost miss the winter...almost:okay:. Lots of close encounters with the local wildlife recently- a moth flew right past my face, then a bat flew down and plucked it out of the air . A couple of minutes later, I spotted a Tawny Owl sat on a branch right above my head. There seem to be a lot more bats around recently...my evil manageress is just back from holiday, but that must be just coincidence;).

A fox again darted from underneath a parked car right into my path and in a split second had changed it's mind .It's great instincts saved me...although I had my hand on the brake there is no way I could avoid a collision at 20mph.That's the second time this has happened to me.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
I overslept by about 40 minutes, got lycra'd up, slipped two pouches of Whiska's in my jersey and groggily got onto my bike. We're still at the in-laws due to the majorly delayed building work at our place. Even as I went, I wasn't sure what way I'd go and my legs were still in bed. 8 miles later I stopped off at my own house, fed the cat and jumped back on the bike to climb another 5 hilly miles before the 7 mile flat/descent part. Not long after the 5 hilly miles, I was rolling through the town and a passenger from a van shouts something inaudible as they pass, with the driver throwing half a bap over the van, landing in the verge. I guess it was meant for me. I tried half hearted to catch up and it probably annoyed me more than it should've. Got to work, showered and treated myself to a scrambled egg and toast from the canteen since I missed out on the builders bap offering.

KneesUp

Guru
Uneventful on the way in.

Largely uneventful on the way back other than overtaking a chap on a upright hybrid bike as he cycled away from some traffic lights as I had a little more momentum, but as I passed I noticed he had a hub motor. I have this idea that I look foolish overtaking people if I can't 'make it stick' so as a result I then felt obliged to go faster than I would have over the next undulating section. When I eventually dared to look back he was nowhere to be seen. Presumably he'd turned off, or felt sorry for me! All good exercise, although I suspect I look less than 'cool' turning up for school collection duty early and sweaty.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Grinding uphill past a queue of slow moving traffic and this muppet's fiddling with his phone. The video captures the dialling out tone very well.

Reported and uploaded online to the police.

Phoneabuser.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
At least the wee tiny child in the backseat is wearing a helmet ^_^
And a lamp-post !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A tad cooler & cloudy this morning, a little windy too. Should make for a nice ride home later.
A little windy indeed! Ride to work via the doctor's this morning. Ominously easy to the doctor's and then I spent the next 45 minutes getting my head kicked in by a 20mph average gusting north wind coming straight off the sea, slowly dropping down the gears as I get closer to the coast and then stopping to put a buff over my ears which were getting very cold. Now I'm at my desk and I really really want to go to sleep but at least I've made it to lunchtime :smile:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Saw utter pig laziness this morning on my way to the B2B railway Path. Bloke in white van drives up into the middle of the pavement opposite a post box so he could post a letter, parking about 1m from the box. There is a nice wide road, no yellow lines, so he could have parked perfectly legally without driving up onto the pavement so he's a wee bit nearer the box. Lazy oik:angry:.

Lonestar

Veteran
Saw utter pig laziness this morning on my way to the B2B railway Path. Bloke in white van drives up into the middle of the pavement opposite a post box so he could post a letter, parking about 1m from the box. There is a nice wide road, no yellow lines, so he could have parked perfectly legally without driving up onto the pavement so he's a wee bit nearer the box. Lazy oik:angry:.

Oh bajesus.I have done that on my bike,also.I am bad people.:shy:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hate it when you are filtering gently up the inside of very slow moving traffic and one truck slowly drifts towards the kerb to cut you off. You then have to go round the outside and yes, the dozy git is looking down at his sodding phone ('cos I ain't moving, safe, innit?) ... sigh... but that was only five seconds out of a glorious warm sunny 12 miler !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hate it when you are filtering gently up the inside of very slow moving traffic and one truck slowly drifts towards the kerb to cut you off. You then have to go round the outside and yes, the dozy git is looking down at his sodding phone ('cos I ain't moving, safe, innit?) ... sigh... but that was only five seconds out of a glorious warm sunny 12 miler !

It's even worse when a moton drifts on purpose just to cut you off. Ignorant twats.

There was a slight chill in the air this morning in deepest darkest Kentishire. But warmed up for the second part of the cycle commute.

Top Bottom