Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

Last night's return trip had me resolving to avoid this road until they've removed the 3 way control. Second time I've seen someone in a car deciding to overtake the long line of traffic waiting at this point for the lights on the bend and presumably jump the red, even though there's literally nowhere to go if there's a car coming the other way (which - given that it's a three way control - seems a highly likely outcome).
image.jpg

Last night it was some crappy little BMW hatchback, of course. First time was a few months ago when they had a similar lights setup and I was cycling in the direction the camera is facing; a local cretin went for that manoeuvre and was flashing his lights and gesturing at me to move. I responded with another gesture and he had to wedge himself half into traffic for me to get by.

13 rider

Guru
That's was a tough week windy or what !!!

Riding home from work, at 22:30, I had a numb-nuts overtake on a mini-roundabout, on the wrong side (or straight over it), with bugger all visibility to the right (due to buildings)

All I got in answer to a raised arm, in a "What the hell!?!?" gesture was a two finger salute

R/bout not seen here, but it's behind the white van (I was straight ahead)

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.704831,-1.430418,125.94h,-10.44p,1z

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Blustery tail/side wind on the 12.5 miles in yesterday, with a bit of drizzle to keep me cool..
13.5 miles on the homeward leg, at 01:00 ish, was quite pleasant. Still comfortable temp in shorts, but no longer T Shirt weather at stupid o’clock.

1080656E-C2B5-450E-8C0C-2C67193AC777.jpeg

Hopefully going to miss the rain today, if the forecast is right (!)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well, the forecast was wrong. It was raining all the way in. So it goes.. :rain:

Ten hour shift, finishing at midnight, with quite a bit of traffic zooming about so I took a different, longer route home as it was away from the bits that get raced along. Ended up doing 18 miles, but it was dry and windless!!

5A5D41AB-8F85-4F21-8928-32DE08AEC913.jpeg

This was in the bike shed at work yesterday!! An electric fat bike. Not sure whose it is, but I’ll see if I an have a play when I do ^_^

Couple of days off now, so it’s beer o’clock :cheers:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Arrived at work just as the first drops of rain came down at just before 7am, sat in the office all day watching the rain on the windows until it stopped just in time for me to leave at 3pm. Just wish I'd taken the day off and gone to Donington Park for the British GTs where it was dry all day despite earlier weather forecasts.:angry:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bbbbbbrrrr bit nippy this morning.
Had to put on the windcheater. My fingers in fingerless gloves where just on the edge of being too cold.
I had better start digging down in the cupboard to find the full finger gloves, arm warmers, leg warmers and base layer thingy's.

Lovely, blue sky, sunny morning though here in the SE.

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
My word. Undervest, arm warmers and 3/4 length shorts this morning. Autumn's here.

Also, the fleet having been decimated by mechanical malady, the pub bike (the Mongoose) was pressed into service this morning. Not altogether unpleasant, after a smidgen of brake fettling, I have to say.

John_S

Über Member
Yes today was one of the first days where it really did feel chilly and if my Garmin is to be believed it was between 4 & 5 degrees.

However it was a slightly strange feeling because I'm sure that if it were 4 or 5 degrees in December / January when the sun is very low in the sky I would have felt colder. But as it was it was really sunny this morning and with sun beating down on me I actually felt pretty toasty once I'd got going.

Although having said that the extremities really felt the cold and I definitely need to have a search and dig out the winter cap now.

the stupid one

Über Member
Today was my first cycle commute since 1993. The front derailleur wouldn't drop the chain into the small ring, the small rear sprocket was noisy, the bike weighed a ton, I attempted a hill in the big ring (thinking I was in the middle) and ground to a halt, the secure lockup at work was hidden behind storm-damaged garden shite and it wasn't quite tall enough so I broke my bell. And by the time I'd changed I was almost ten minutes late.

And ultimately SO much less stressful than driving - can't wait to have another go on Thursday!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep. A tad over 2° this morning when I left home. Got the LF gloves and knee warmers out for the first time since earlier this year. A beautiful cycling morning though, Lovely sunny blue skies. The low sun was a problem though with a good few car drivers not really knowing how to drive properly or carefully in those conditions.
I was also surprised at how many cyclists on my commute this morning. There was at least 12 of us at one junction. Good to see, though with the cold weather upon us, I guess the numbers will start to fall as people change to a warm train or car.

Top Bottom