Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
FE94BEC2-4F4F-49F6-8EC8-21E442CE5012.jpeg
No tale, just an amazing, misty ride along the guided busway from home to work

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
And that folks, is why we can't have nice things.

I just got a call from our reception desk to say that a group of 5 young fellas had been circling our building for the last hour, and tried to force one of the car park gates to get at my bike (see my post above). They threatened one of our porters and promised to come back. For now, I've moved the bike indoors, out of sight but can't see me bringing it into the city again if this is what happens on the first day I bring it![/QUOTE

Liked that your bike was preserved, not for the would-be thieves.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
An almost perfect late autumn day's riding - except for the work bit in the middle. The nominally 3.5 miles each way (but normally around 13) turned into 17 miles in and 19 miles home with an extended loop out to Falkenham & Kirton at the start & end plus a bit of light off road as I was on the Spa.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Nearly taken out by a woman driver last night. Her in the outside lane at the entrance to a roundabout, decides she is going to barge her way to turn left and ignore the cyclist who is ahead of her, in the middle of the left lane and who isn't turning left.

Slick

Guru
I don't think I'll ever really understand it but got up this morning at 5am and all I could hear was wind and rain battering the window so just went straight back to bed. My conscious got the better of me at 5.15 so I got up and went for it and almost immediately noticed my seat post sliding down. I stopped to fix it and toyed with the idea of turning for home but kept going but had to stop another 3 times before it gave up the ghost altogether. I also chose another route to stay out the worst of the wind but despite all that, I loved it I really don't know why but I love wet mornings and a hot shower and cup of tea with the worst of the work already done.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Took a nice scenic detour last night with the wind at my back:

upload_2018-9-26_9-4-44.png

This morning was uneventful but found a wet patch at my bike locker. Turns out someone pissed on it. Fair do's it's on main campus and students will be students on Tuesday night (which is cheap night at the Union) but still... c'mon... don't be a farking savage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think I'll ever really understand it but got up this morning at 5am and all I could hear was wind and rain battering the window so just went straight back to bed. My conscious got the better of me at 5.15 so I got up and went for it and almost immediately noticed my seat post sliding down. I stopped to fix it and toyed with the idea of turning for home but kept going but had to stop another 3 times before it gave up the ghost altogether. I also chose another route to stay out the worst of the wind but despite all that, I loved it I really don't know why but I love wet mornings and a hot shower and cup of tea with the worst of the work already done.

Blimey, a bit different to the lovely, sunny, blue sky morning we are having here in the SE :okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely 12.5 mile warm and sunny commute in yesterday at middayish. :sun:

By midnight, it was a tad chillier, but not too bad. The moon was amazing! I could switch it off, on the deserted country lanes, and still see where I was going. Not quite bright enough to spot the potholes, though, so I switched it back on again... :okay:

Only one potential issue was avoided when I was between a couple of mini roundabouts in Isham when an ambulance, on a shout, was heading along behind me. I'd have had time to turn right and get out of the way, but a truck (from my company) was approaching the mini roundabout and I thought the driver might not see me through the blue flashing strobes, so I pulled over into a side turning and hung around for a few seconds to let everyone get gone.

As I was feeling good, I added a couple of miles via Hannington, Moulton and Overstone, where I stopped at the bus stop library and picked a couple of books up, so ended up on 15 miles by the time I got home.

Driving in today as I have stuff to do on the way, but should be back on the bike tomorrow.

Sixmile

Veteran
One week on and the trees blocking one of busiest cycle routes into Belfast is still blocked by fallen trees. I have reported it but I'll not hold my breath.. especially when I'm lifting my bike over again.

IMG_20180925_180520.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It may just be a stretch of bad luck, but I've had an appalling set of motorist incidents in the last week or so.

Last night overtaken by someone (who also overtook the car following me) over a pedestrian crossing and T junction all of 50 yards ahead of a set of lights

This morning overtaken blind on a country lane causing oncoming van to do an e-stop.

This morning later attempted overtake over road hump 50 yards ahead of roundabout by motorist unable to complete the manoeuvre.

I've twice been deliberately forced off the road by people.

etc etc etc.

It's not normally anything like this - maybe one incident a month, not two a day. Is it just me, or does autumn cause motorist idiocy?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It may just be a stretch of bad luck, but I've had an appalling set of motorist incidents in the last week or so.

Last night overtaken by someone (who also overtook the car following me) over a pedestrian crossing and T junction all of 50 yards ahead of a set of lights

This morning overtaken blind on a country lane causing oncoming van to do an e-stop.

This morning later attempted overtake over road hump 50 yards ahead of roundabout by motorist unable to complete the manoeuvre.

I've twice been deliberately forced off the road by people.

etc etc etc.

It's not normally anything like this - maybe one incident a month, not two a day. Is it just me, or does autumn cause motorist idiocy?

I really do think the low morning sun is a factor. It just drives car drivers loopy for some reason.

clf

Stuck a new winter tyre on the front today to bed in the spikes, got a few odd looks as it sounded like a bowl of rice krispies approaching. Need to bed the back in too, stereo ^_^

Top Bottom