Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Yeah, I don't understand the lack of ice? Thermometer said -2 but there wasn't even a skin of ice on the plant pots outside.

I generally use the plant pots as a gauge, it it's below 1 and they're frozen I stick to the roads.

That looks seriously close! definitely report to police

I have just called 101, public order offence and dangerous driving. Apparently the driver didn't "give a fark" about being filmed, we'll see if that attitude changes with a few points, increased insurance premiums and a fine for a public order offence.

Annoying that WYP are still not using nextbase so looks like I need to make a special trip down the station.

:gun:

dhd.evans

Veteran
I have just called 101, public order offence and dangerous driving. Apparently the driver didn't "give a fark" about being filmed, we'll see if that attitude changes with a few points, increased insurance premiums and a fine for a public order offence.

Annoying that WYP are still not using nextbase so looks like I need to make a special trip down the station.

Couldn't catch the exchange, what was the knuckle-dragger saying?

Depends what u mean by 'use'. West Mercia police use nextbase - from my conversations with them it would genuinely surprise me if they reviewed any of the footage submitted.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

That's a PITA - I can upload mine in minutes on the local force's website. I think/hope it is still worth your while reporting this dangerous twerp anyway.

Depends what u mean by 'use'. West Mercia police use nextbase - from my conversations with them it would genuinely surprise me if they reviewed any of the footage submitted.
That was a worry of mine when the system was first announced. West Yorkshire Police were great about my last incident. They were prepared to prosecute... but it involved two separate trips to the police station, one of which could have been entirely avoided as I told to drop by, but was then asked to make an appointment and sent away to come back two days later! I know better this time around, so it should just be one trip, which I can tack on to another errand.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Relatively low mileage last year- wasn't in the office as much as usual for various reasons, 3663 miles
21 rainy commutes (only commutes where I get proper wet count)
2 days with falling snow
4 total snow days

84 commutes on fixed
90 on Surly Pacer
7 on 'cross bike (6 icy/ snowy commutes and one off-road commute in the summer)
1 on Elephant bike

Sunset is at 4:05 in London this Friday WERE GETTING THERE farkERS

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
How'd you like you're pacer, I was considering getting one at some point.

It's good. I've had it a while, I originally saw the frame in the LBS and considered asking them to build something up with it, then later the LBS built it up and had it on display and I thought about it, then it disappeared. A considerable time later I wanted a bike for commuting/ day rides and they suggested the Pacer- they still had it hidden away somewhere. Got a good deal on it because they were having trouble shifting it. I like it, mine's all Tiagra, fairly basic wheels (I'll upgrade but the original wheels are still fine), it's a triple- that's just how they built it and I haven't changed it yet. Tyre size might be a bit limited with mudguards on, 25s will fit, haven't actually tried a 28 yet- looks like it will be tight. It's possible some Pacer frames have more clearance. I've used it for commuting, day rides, touring (towing a Bob Yak- I don't have a rack and would need P-clips to fit)

Yes I think it was the lack of eyelets for a rack that put me off at first glance, in the end I went for a custom disc trucker build from odds and ends on the ebay, but following some sizing trouble and neck pain later swapped out the straggler frameset, which is now my main ride.

The new Pacer model comes with the new 105, if I find a frame for the right price, I could be tempted to replicate the stock build, with a few personal tweaks and some quality wheels.

Sixmile

Veteran
First commute (and ride) of 2019 and as Tony would say, it was GRRRRRREAT! Dry, mild and very light traffic.

I took the road bike to work, which I've never ridden in January before, normally it's the hybrid only this time of year but I'm making the most of the current conditions.

Johnno260

Veteran
Did my partial commute, but I wasn't allowed to enter the road where I work, Range Rover has hit and killed a pedestrian.

Range Rover was on the wrong side of the road, and it's a sharp corner, all I can think of is they over cooked the corner.. either way not a nice thing to witness, the police handled it well, even the idiots filming the poor guy, if I had been an officer I would've taken all their phones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom