Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Unduly hesitant lady driving behind me along the lanes for over five minutes today, despite oodles of clear wide road ahead. You just know the drivers behind her will be losing their patience. I had to wave her past at a safe place.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Despite the favourable tailwind, yesterday's commute home (first of 2019) was exhausting. I blame a combination of Xmas gluttony and a persistent cold.

But an uneventful ride. Could do with more of those.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Head wind on the way in this morning which was a bit of a drag. It had dropped a bit by home time and started raining 2 mins in to the journey so I picked up the pace and managed a host of PR's, seems my commuter is my fastest bike at the moment :laugh:

Screenshot_20190108-174658_Strava.jpg

C R

Guru
Slightly colder this morning, -3C in the garden apparently. Frost on the grass and the cycle paths, but no ice, so all good, just a bit slower than usual.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But how would hand signals help? The other cyclist was coming at us in our lane, so to speak, when there was no obstruction in theirs.
It makes it clear to the oncoming nobber that you're going to keep left, obeying the Highway Act 1835 s78 ("if any person [...] shall not keep his waggon, cart, or other carriage, or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, on the left or near side of the road, for the purpose of allowing such passage; [...] shall in addition to any civil action to which he may make himself liable for every such offence forfeit any sum not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale]" - apparently 200-year-old law is fine for something as basic as this and not subject to the recent frothing against the part of the same section which makes furious cycling an offence).

Most nobbers will move left once it becomes clear that you won't move right. I ride a bit to the right along some cycleways where it's advantageous not to be on the left edge (usually because there's passing motorists who cross the kerb far too often), but I normally move left when there's an oncoming bike.

Plan B should probably be to slow then stop then brace for impact. A moving bike will usually come off worst if it hits a stopped one. If you're really really really sure then pass on the right, but if the nobber moves left then you've probably broken the law instead...

Sixmile

Veteran
Very cold start to the morning but I got my layers spot on. Not one touch of sweat and I wasn't cold at any point. I listened to the radio on the school run beforehand and heard that there'd been a few crashes (I hope everyone's ok!) on the motorway into the city and right enough, traffic was queued back every which direction. Pure overtaking smug bliss as I left easily 300 cars in my wake.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Another fantastic,crisp and frosty day here,perfect to ride even in shorts ! Just love cycle commuting when its this good

I took off mm M+ 32s, and fitted Durano 28s over Christmas.

I like 28s. They are a good compromise between stability (32s are more stable but slower) and speed (25s are faster but more vulnerable to obstructions, e.g. potholes, tramlines etc.)
Although I don't commute, I've gone from 700x23 to 700x25, and now 26x50! To hell with speed, big comfortable City Jets are where it's at!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom