Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Commuting over the Christmas period has been fantastic with hardly any traffic but that will no doubt change tomorrow ! So glad I only have a few road miles on my commute and the rest is on NCN 55

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
First commute of the year. This morning no change from 2018. Usual car RLJers and drivers with no lights. (It's currently dark between 5.30 and 6.30 you nobs!). A cyclist with lights and hi viz jacket though didn't do cyclists generally any favours by RLJing at least two sets of lights before he went a different way to me.
The ride home was bloody hard work and wet. The wind which had been absent in the morning was strong, gusting and largely in my face for most of the miles. And for those it wasn't, it was side on, which made for "interesting" riding, particularly on a couple of unsheltered roads. Throw into the mix rain for for the first 10 miles or so and it was a soggy me and dirty bike which arrived home.

Randombiker9

Driver told me to "move out the way during a roundabout " on way back. Never had that saying before. When he overtook closely afterwards i noticed he has two number plates. (one the ussuall kind other one right above ussuall place red and white) on the back. Also why is it the time when my bike camera suddenly turns off (which is kind of probably my fault for not realizing the memory was full) So annyoingly didn't catch it on my recording. Seems odd to have two different number plates (it's not the exact same number either). Is this weird or is their a reason some cars have two number plates on the back?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Driver told me to "move out the way during a roundabout " on way back. Never had that saying before. When he overtook closely afterwards i noticed he has two number plates. (one the ussuall kind other one right above ussuall place red and white) on the back. Also why is it the time when my bike camera suddenly turns off (which is kind of probably my fault for not realizing the memory was full) So annyoingly didn't catch it on my recording. Seems odd to have two different number plates (it's not the exact same number either). Is this weird or is their a reason some cars have two number plates on the back?
Sounds like a trade plate for a car dealer.

ukoldschool

horrible in your face headwind today at both ends of the commute... horrible leg workout!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's not so bad down here in the balmy SE of that there Londinium. Even got a bit of a sweat on. Helped by a psky headwind. Should be a nice ride home though with that little helping hand.
Yesterday was busy traffic due to schools being back, but today was a bit mental. Complete gridlock in places. Why oh why are so many car drivers happy just to sit in their boxes going nowhere?

C R

Guru
Yesterday a colleague and I were cycling back down a shared path. We saw a cyclist coming towards us, so we single filed on our left, but the other cyclist just came straight at us on their right, and we had to swerve around.

Both my colleague and I were quite surprised by the behaviour, isn't one supposed to ride on their left, even in cycle and shared paths?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yesterday a colleague and I were cycling back down a shared path. We saw a cyclist coming towards us, so we single filed on our left, but the other cyclist just came straight at us on their right, and we had to swerve around.

Both my colleague and I were quite surprised by the behaviour, isn't one supposed to ride on their left, even in cycle and shared paths?

Of course, but there's ignorant knobs everywhere.

Sixmile

Veteran
A pleasant 6 degrees this morning with a tail wind pushing me along so no complaints here. The roads are still relatively light traffic wise and dry, which is simply fantastic.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello

In the last year or so I have started to use hand signals when there is an approaching pedestrian or cyclist. From about 20 metres or so I signal. I find it works quite well. An earlier decision leads to a much easier pass.

Reactions: mjr

C R

Guru
In the last year or so I have started to use hand signals when there is an approaching pedestrian or cyclist. From about 20 metres or so I signal. I find it works quite well. An earlier decision leads to a much easier pass.
But how would hand signals help? The other cyclist was coming at us in our lane, so to speak, when there was no obstruction in theirs.

Top Bottom