Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Finding some “ professional “ drivers are becoming the biggest law breakers on the road. I’ve even seen a bus run a red light when mine have gone full on green.
Fully agree on the hi-biz, it’s a big waste of space and just makes you an easier target to see or in your case, not to see
I also agree with hi-viz. like I used to have a lot of close calls with buses I actually did the other day but now they seem a lot more careful. In my area it’s mostly cars that cause the most close calls with. Even drivers are a lot more aware now

aferris2

Guru
Almost dry roads this morning meant that it was actually quite a nice ride in even though the temperature was only -4. Decided to go via the canal so stopped for a couple of pictures. The water in the lock was frozen. Met Office is forecasting an almost tropical +10 tomorrow (with rain in the morning).
IMG_20190124_075217.jpg IMG_20190124_075302.jpg IMG_20190124_074839.jpg

Thomson

Frosty paths this morning upto the road. Black ice. Getting lighter this morning noticed a difference. In summer I see about 5 different cyclists On my route to work. There’s only one I see he works next to me we both cycle all year round. He’s been at his job for 41 and a half years!

bonker

Guru
It was -4 yesterday morning with rain forecast so took the train ( don't go there, no pun intended).

Today a bit wet but thought it would be OK but I ended up encountering more idiot drivers that I usually meet in a month. This culminated with a woman in a 4x4 people carrier type thing overtaking, then immediately cutting me up to turn left ( into the Rainbow gym in Epsom ironically) across another cyclist (on pavement) who had to jump off their bike, and then nearly knocking down a schoolkid. She stopped for the schoolkid forcing me out into the road, I only managed to do that by handing off her back window. I think the driver coming the other way (who had stopped for the Kid and the other cyclist) was more pissed off than I was.

There was some daylight left when I left at 5

Now that was a wonderful thing to see

Randombiker9

Driver honked and then stuck his middle finger up. Perhaps also a close pass. WtF is that about? He didn’t say anything this was on way back from town. Almost jumped a light he literally just made it through a amber light. I didn’t say or do anything back I did catch it on camera but I dunno how you post videos on here or do you have to upload to YouTube and then add link?
In the morning I had another driver honk at me. Like why the heck do cars decide to honk at you? Do they not know your allowed to be in the middle of the lane or are they just idiots or trying to look for a reaction or all three?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I dunno how you post videos on here or do you have to upload to YouTube and then add link?
Hi, just click on "upload a file" bottom right of the window you're writing your post in, then select your video from your computer.

Do they not know your allowed to be in the middle of the lane
Yes ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not raining when I left home. 2 miles in fine rain, didn't bother with wet gear. 5 miles in it's raining raining, couldn't be bothered to stop and get the wets on, opted for quick route to work. 9 miles, a bit damp.....
That's 3 wet ones so far this year

Randombiker9

This was thursday just gone (ignore date and time just realsied it's on the wrong dates and times) but i checked it's number plate on the website where it comes up but it said it's not a valid number plate?
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 16.17.12.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 16.18.32.png

another day same thing happened with a FC van? Why does it keep saying not valid?

Also most recent. Just showing pics as don't have time to crop out house address etc...

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 16.56.25.png

I was litreally about to change lanes due to junction. when this driver honked at me twice and notice how his finger is up :tongue:
Due to the weather the number plate wasn't quite caught on my camera as he went off faster afterwards.

ps the dates and times are wrong so sorry about that. These things were very recent

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This was thursday just gone (ignore date and time just realsied it's on the wrong dates and times) but i checked it's number plate on the website where it comes up but it said it's not a valid number plate? View attachment 449308 View attachment 449309

another day same thing happened with a FC van? Why does it keep saying not valid?

Also most recent. Just showing pics as don't have time to crop out house address etc...

View attachment 449325
I was litreally about to change lanes due to junction. when this driver honked at me twice and notice how his finger is up :tongue:
Due to the weather the number plate wasn't quite caught on my camera as he went off faster afterwards.

ps the dates and times are wrong so sorry about that. These things were very recent

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

FA16 OUM shows as a black Vauxhall ?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This was thursday just gone (ignore date and time just realsied it's on the wrong dates and times) but i checked it's number plate on the website where it comes up but it said it's not a valid number plate? View attachment 449308 View attachment 449309

View attachment 449325

If you intend to report a motorist for bad driving towards you, get the date and time stamp sorted on the camera.

Unexpectedly terminated commute this morning. 5 miles into the commute on an unlit road, riding deliberately wider than my normal road positioning because I know there can be puddles in that section of road, I hit black ice. The bike just went from under me. Luckily a driver about 50 metres behind was alert and managed to avoid me. The driver was also courteous enough to stop and make sure I was OK. In the twilight and lit with the bike front light, the black ice looked to be around 20 metres in length and over both carriageways. I am guessing the ice was caused by spray from the puddles, as the rest of the road up to that point had been dry. Ended up walking the bike on the grass verge to get away from the ice, as it was impossible to walk with, or push the bike, on the road, without one or both of us sliding.
Another 12 miles and the return journey was not appealing, so made my home. Bruised ribs, hip, elbow and some unpleasant looking thigh grazes. Bike seems to be mainly scuffs to the brake hoods.
Reported the road conditions to the Council.

Top Bottom