Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Only -2 this morning. Was -4 on Monday and looking to be even lower tomorrow morning. Not intending to chicken out yet. Still 100% for this year. It's got a bit further to go before the temperature matches "The Beast from the East" last year. I recorded -7 on several days then. Still on the road bike. No spikes or anything soft like that (did use the main roads for The Beast though).

John_S

Über Member
I think that I got away fairly lucky compared to some because the temperatures in East Anglia weren't as bad as in other places going by what has been said above. For me it was -3 on the way in and also on the way home and I made it there and back in once piece with no punctures and so that is all good.

However it was a crap day at work and so I was late leaving at about 8pm so I didn't take my longer (but nicer & quieter) normal route home and I rode the most direct as the crow flies route because I wanted to get home as soon as possible. The problem with this is that the direct A-B route is all main roads and whilst in one sense that came with the benefit of gritted roads on the other hand that was also a negative because commuting home later meant that I was a sitting duck for passing gritting lorries and I got hit and pebble dashed by two of them on the way home which is never pleasant.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
-4 or -5 this morning, I still don't know how to extract the temperature from the Garmin, only had it 5 years :whistle:
Left home at 6.30am, the tricky bit is to exit the housing estate: I put the bike out, turn the lights on, engage the brakes then mount it with the aim of never dismounting till I get to work.
Putting a foot down mean slipping, as not only the side road, but also the main road around here have not been gritted.
While I was at work the temperature went up a couple of degrees, so I decided to ride through the park on my way back.
Saw another cyclist almost coming off, a pedestrian warned me the ground was frozen.
Yes, the ice tyres went silent, that means you're riding on ice!
Took to the main road after that, glad the traffic wasn't too bad.
Still in one piece, but almost fell walking across to the local shop.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
-4 or -5 this morning, I still don't know how to extract the temperature from the Garmin, only had it 5 years :whistle:
Left home at 6.30am, the tricky bit is to exit the housing estate: I put the bike out, turn the lights on, engage the brakes then mount it with the aim of never dismounting till I get to work.
Putting a foot down mean slipping, as not only the side road, but also the main road around here have not been gritted.
While I was at work the temperature went up a couple of degrees, so I decided to ride through the park on my way back.
Saw another cyclist almost coming off, a pedestrian warned me the ground was frozen.
Yes, the ice tyres went silent, that means you're riding on ice!
Took to the main road after that, glad the traffic wasn't too bad.
Still in one piece, but almost fell walking across to the local shop.
Hero :notworthy:

Pat "5mph"

Ice tyres might be the answer but that would also mean another set of wheels
Think outside the box: another bike is what you need :okay:

Pat "5mph"

Very very very icy this morning in Leicester. I came across a few people who had come off and loads walking down the great central way, all shouting to me to get off my bike, big grin and a thanks whilst pointing out the ice tyres. ^_^
Really, it is safer riding the studded tyres than walking when it's icy.
I worry about cars sliding into me, though.
When the paths are iced up I try to stick on the roads, because my route on the NCN means a lot of stopping and starting to give way, putting your foot down is still hazardous.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
On the MTB with ice spiker tyres yesterday and managed to fall off turning at a "T" junction in the evening after all was thawed, for no good reason.

Friendly motorist enquires if it was black ice?

Nay says I, for I am invincible on my ice tyres. Cycle home feeling bruised and foolish only to discover my keys are missing, my bib tights are completely f*cked and my nice proper goretex has a rip on the sleeve

I return to the site of the crash this morning to search, find both keys ^_^^_^^_^ and small but very deep pothole:angry:, which I think I must have caught front tyre in whilst signalling causing the off.

Now to report the hole and contemplate £££ for new gear. Grrrr.

Back on the road bike this morning which was a *lot* easier!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Gave the bike a skoosh-down yesterday after work to get rid of the salty goo, put it away.

This morning the steering wouldn't work. The lower headset race appears to have almost no grease left in it, presume water got in there and froze. I turned the bars a few times until it worked well-enough to satisfy me.

Got a good way into my journey before finding out the brake had also frozen up somewhere. Ride fixed so sometimes I barely use the brake.

KneesUp

Guru
I bought a cadence sensor from Aldi the other day because it was cheap (see thread passim) so I've installed Strava on my phone so I can actually use it.

*Now* I get why a large proportion of fellow cyclists I see accelerate at certain points on the route - it's for Strava segment purposes. Very much enjoyed keeping pace with a chap on a road bike who was slip streaming a bus the entire way through one segment (me on my slick MTB with two panniers). Still wasn't a PB though. I can see how people get in to this.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I bought a cadence sensor from Aldi the other day because it was cheap (see thread passim) so I've installed Strava on my phone so I can actually use it.

*Now* I get why a large proportion of fellow cyclists I see accelerate at certain points on the route - it's for Strava segment purposes. Very much enjoyed keeping pace with a chap on a road bike who was slip streaming a bus the entire way through one segment (me on my slick MTB with two panniers). Still wasn't a PB though. I can see how people get in to this.
Doomed and weak! My superior will power has allowed me to resist Strava (that and the fact I'm not in the least bit interested :laugh:).

Top Bottom