Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Third puncture of 2019 already!
New tyre I think but the good news was it was daylight and above freezing

Took me 8 mins from stopping to getting back on

Not bad!

First puncture of the day was at home before I set off, 2nd was 20 miles in 3rd was before I set off again after repairing the 2nd ;-)

Why are cars allowed to make so much noise, it's bloody impossible to hear a puncture when they're roaring past.

First puncture of the day was at home before I set off, 2nd was 20 miles in 3rd was before I set off again after repairing the 2nd ;-)

Why are cars allowed to make so much noise, it's bloody impossible to hear a puncture when they're roaring past.

All 3 this year have been on the busway and on the same section
The bit from longstaton up towards girton

All on the uphill bit

It’s not surprising the busway when wet is puncture heaven

I get to work covered in grit, it’s like cycling on wet sand

The bike has been trashed this year

Macca85

Question please guys,

Seems from having a read through this thread briefly that a lot of you have 2nd bikes for during winter when its really wet, muddy & generally freezing. What i'm curious, do any of you have a scruffy older bike for winter & then something nicer for in the summer?

For instance at the mo i'm on an old globetrotter mountain bike that i've had fitted with some hybrid tyres so its more geared towards road use & also some wrap round mud guards that come almost right round. Its old & a bit scruffy, bit of light surface rust that i've cleaned up & frame is a bit scraped etc. For summer, bought off a mate for 40 quid a muddyfox that i'm planning to use mainly on bike trails, canal towpaths etc.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Question please guys,

Seems from having a read through this thread briefly that a lot of you have 2nd bikes for during winter when its really wet, muddy & generally freezing. What i'm curious, do any of you have a scruffy older bike for winter & then something nicer for in the summer?.

Yes.

I have a rather expensive self built single-speed (see avatar) for the purpose of summer commute and MTB
I have another MTB 3x10 built for the winter commutes and muddier off road stuff

So what am I commuting on now in the winter ? The single speed
So what did I use in the snow this week? The single speed
What have I been using for the muddy off road stuff ? The single speed

:rolleyes:

Leaway2

Lycrist
2nd, lol. In have 6. General commute bike (ribble), Sunday bike (Cannodale) bad weather/shopping bike hybrid(Claud Butler) Steel 80's bike (Ammaco), 80's steel (Peugot). General pub bike (Revolution).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Question please guys,

Seems from having a read through this thread briefly that a lot of you have 2nd bikes for during winter when its really wet, muddy & generally freezing. What i'm curious, do any of you have a scruffy older bike for winter & then something nicer for in the summer?

For instance at the mo i'm on an old globetrotter mountain bike that i've had fitted with some hybrid tyres so its more geared towards road use & also some wrap round mud guards that come almost right round. Its old & a bit scruffy, bit of light surface rust that i've cleaned up & frame is a bit scraped etc. For summer, bought off a mate for 40 quid a muddyfox that i'm planning to use mainly on bike trails, canal towpaths etc.

Nope, same 'nice' bike all year round.
Just need to keep on top of cleaning and maintenance. If you do that and get into some sort of cleaning/maintenance regime then a bike will be fine for all weathers, all conditions, all year round.

:notworthy:

Out of curiosity, how do you dress for those conditions, and are there any circumstances under which you won't ride?

I don't ride once my wife finds out it will be colder than -25C, you really should not ride for in -30C unless you have modified your bicycle. Also due to the lack of moisture it is not as bad as it sounds.

Hands, feet, and head need the most protection. I use insulated MTB boots with SPD's , I use lobster claw mitten s so I can brake with 2 fingers and still grip the handle bars. When it is super cold I keep my head warm with a balaclava and a downhill ski helmet with goggles. Most of the time instead of the ski helmet and googles I use a normal cycling helmet with a balaclava and cycling glasses.

As for the body I wear a thin pair of summer big tights with a chamois then a heavy pair of lycra trouser with wind blocking front panels. On the top I wear a long sleeve under shirt, a winter cycling jersey , and a goretex cycling jacket.

The risk at -30c is that the freehub wont work. After about 10 minutes into the ride the cassette fails to "catch" and you are then stuck at the side of the road able to peddle but unable to go anywhere. I once tried to warm the cassette and chain using a cigarette lighter, shockingly chain lubricant burns quite well I had to use snow to put the fire out.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Question please guys,

I tend to use the same bike all year round. My other is a steel from the mid 80s and is now rarely used for commuting.
As said upthread, looking after it helps a lot, although after some commutes it is an uphill task, with some filthy roads travelled on, including around 1 1/2 miles of unadopted road which mainly leads to farms.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Got home at five fifteen and it was still pretty light (sunset was just before five today, tomorrow it'll be at five in London)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
2A45784C-FBBA-4D6C-AC15-2E3D064D4D4D.jpeg
Well today started with a wonderful sunrise but steadily went downhill with me suffering with a steaming head ache, back ache and a bloody kid bringing an air pistol into school !!!!!
The return trip just topped it off with two visits from that fecking fairy !!!! I checked the tyre for the offending creator of the hole but could not find it, even one of the four cyclists who kindly asked if I was ok had a look and he couldn’t find it !!
Home now and just waiting to collect my little one from Brownies before alcohol and treats are consumed.
Here is the calming sunrise along our wonderful guided busway that tricked me into thinking the day was going to be easy :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wonderful commute this morning around 8 am as the haze was just burning off with bright blue sky coming through

Watched a buzzard take off about 5ft away from me on the left and then watched it fly for cover into the coppice on that side of the cyclepath

I had a buzzard fly over and in front of me today before landing in a tree to my right ^_^

Top Bottom