Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I should be grateful that two thirds of our school run is on a very good local greenway. The other third passes through a local town that is well beyond the ability of my 9 year old to negotiate. It is a particularly bad piece of urban planning and infrastructure.

So we have a solution. My daughter sits on the back of the Big Dummy and we get through the rough stuff by towing her bike. Once on the greenway she can unclip her bike from mine, slot the wheel on and off we go in peace, all the way to school.

View attachment 454987 View attachment 454988 View attachment 454989

That's dedication !

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
F24F26C5-91DC-4C72-BA93-A479AAE175D2.jpeg
2BE4B22C-9E63-4EAD-BCAB-CCA2842153BB.jpeg
6076B388-F450-4772-806F-91115940F5A1.jpeg
62BBC0E8-38AA-4A50-A915-FB234D40FAA3.jpeg

With scenery like this I feel guilty calling it a commute but here you go ! Made the most of the stunning weather and extended my ride home via the Bridgewater/ Leeds-Liverpool canal after my usual route of the glass strewn NCN55 ( chavs must have been out over night) Just one cockwomble tried to kill me by pulling out in his cement mixer on the little bit of road I had to use before rejoining the guided busway just to bring me down to Earth that motorists still don’t care !

Woodland trail (up Wyming Brook) part of the way home....9 days ago it was fully dark and moonlit on the same stretch, was only twilight this evening (and I don't mean angsty sparkly teen vampires were running around the place) . Getting lighter, even if there was a bit of an icy chill heading back downhill

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Approaching a blind bend on a country road yesterday. Could hear a car behind me but thought they where hanging back. Nope. Decided to overtake me on the blind bend. Gave me plenty of room to be fair but when I glanced over as the car passed the woman driving had her mobile planted to her ear and there was a kid (circa 8/9 years old) in the passenger seat....... Incredible :ohmy:

Further along I was about 2 cars lengths from a mini roundabout when a little old dear in her Micra decided she would overtake me and try and beat me to the roundabout. She genuinely seemed surprised when we ended up hitting the roundabout side by side. She did however manage to squeeze past me at a traffic island a few meters from the roundabout :wacko::wacko:

I should be grateful that two thirds of our school run is on a very good local greenway. The other third passes through a local town that is well beyond the ability of my 9 year old to negotiate. It is a particularly bad piece of urban planning and infrastructure.

So we have a solution. My daughter sits on the back of the Big Dummy and we get through the rough stuff by towing her bike. Once on the greenway she can unclip her bike from mine, slot the wheel on and off we go in peace, all the way to school.

View attachment 454987 View attachment 454988 View attachment 454989
Is there a skewer attached to your rear rack? However you've managed it, it's clever!

Off the bike today, some niggling neck pain has flared up in a big way. I can barely move my noggin left or right so it would be dangerous to ride, not to mention it hurts like hell. Whilst I'm supposed to be working from home, I'll mostly be looking into obtaining a folding bike to make otherwise awful public transport links feasible. :laugh:

Last night's commute was uneventful, except a kid almost karked it

View: https://youtu.be/rmJMUuu6xfU

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Slippy roads, on hack bike with Gatorskins .... Low sided, road rash, hand run over by following cyclists ;-)
Ouch - Twice!

There was proper rain here for the first time in what seems like weeks. Having had a couple of offs on damp/slippery surfaces recently I was very tentative on the few corners & roundabouts with smooth surfaces.

Top Bottom