Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_S

Über Member
I've been off work and away from cycling for a few weeks due to the sudden death of my sister after complications which followed on from having had DVT.

However I've just got back on the bike and within 5 miles I got a nice welcome back to the road from a guy in a van.

I was cycling down single track rural road when I came up to two horses in the road. I went slowly and stayed a good distance back prior to a car coming from the opposite direction which meant that the horses went a stood in a passing place/lay-by at which point they noticed me and stayed where they were beckoning me past which I did.

Then I immediately turned a sharp 90 degree bend and just after that there was a speeding van coming towards me and although it was essentially single track road it was wide enough for the van not to cause me problems but I gave what I thought was a polite slow down notice because I knew that immediately as he got to the bend he'd be faced by two horses.

At this point the van man gave me the middle finger and showed no intention of slowing down. It was a lovely welcome back to the road.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've been off work and away from cycling for a few weeks due to the sudden death of my sister after complications which followed on from having had DVT.

However I've just got back on the bike and within 5 miles I got a nice welcome back to the road from a guy in a van.

I was cycling down single track rural road when I came up to two horses in the road. I went slowly and stayed a good distance back prior to a car coming from the opposite direction which meant that the horses went a stood in a passing place/lay-by at which point they noticed me and stayed where they were beckoning me past which I did.

Then I immediately turned a sharp 90 degree bend and just after that there was a speeding van coming towards me and although it was essentially single track road it was wide enough for the van not to cause me problems but I gave what I thought was a polite slow down notice because I knew that immediately as he got to the bend he'd be faced by two horses.

At this point the van man gave me the middle finger and showed no intention of slowing down. It was a lovely welcome back to the road.

At least you had a nice interaction with the horse riders. Captain Cockwomble can just do one.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A bit of a dilemma today.

This Audi driver buzzed me way too close as I was noting the continued presence of broken bottle glass all over the shared use pavement. There was a pickup in the outside lane so she couldn't get over onto it, so she just pushed past rather than easing off until she could pass at a safe distance.

When I caught up 200yds down the road, I had a very friendly chat. She was quite charming, probably mid seventies and hadn't got the faintest idea that she'd been too close. She said sorry & I asked for more space in future before the lights changed & she drove off.

I have now checked the footage and find it rather scary that she was so oblivious to the need for safe passing distances. Should I upload the footage & let the police decide whether to reinforce my request ? Perhaps she has eyesight issues with the sunny morning ?
C17 VYD.jpg

mangid

Guru
Ouch - Twice!

There was proper rain here for the first time in what seems like weeks. Having had a couple of offs on damp/slippery surfaces recently I was very tentative on the few corners & roundabouts with smooth surfaces.

Yea, I was possibly over cautious this morning ;-)

13 rider

Guru
Rear wheel felt a bit soft halfway home tonight yes a puncture .Managed to nurse it home pumping it up twice couldn't be bothered changing the tube at the side of the road. Second rear puncture in 2 weeks might be time for a new tyre lots of cuts allowing small bits of stone at the tube . Bit disappointted with the tyres, original stock tyres have only done 12800 miles !! Think I had my use out of them

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Some commutes have their unexpected moments of pleasure, but this morning's just kept giving.
Having been awoken by the wind and rain battering my house at 3am, l thought it was going to bike, train, bike, or even taking the car to the train station, but a couple of hours later, no rain or gusts.
With the wind behind me or to my side for almost all of the journey, the wind also seemed to have done a decent job in reducing the areas I know are prone to flooding. Considerate drivers throughout including left turners. Just the right temperature all through the journey and saw dawn breaking for the first time this year on a commute. Even the traffic lights were down to only four reds in the twenty odd I have to cross.

CycleCommute.CC

After 2 weeks of commutes with only a single motorcyclist gesturing to me on his way past, all the crazy drivers were back with a vengeance today. 3 drivers within 10 minutes shouted at me out the window to get off the road.

What is wrong with these people?

rivers

How far can I go?
As i was hitting the security shed at work, the heavens opened up, and I was pelted with 5p sized pieces of hail and 40mph wind gusts (which were also a headwind the entire way home). I promptly turned around, put the bike in the office and got the bus home. I should be home by now. I'm still in the bus and need to get a third

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
4 commutes today as normal , bright and breezy this morning , grey and less windy lunch time dry but damp underfoot on way home tonight
Who knows what the morning will bring

Top Bottom