Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Filtering this morning when SUV turns his wheel & blocks me off whilst I am alongside. Either deliberate, or done without checking mirrors. I can't decide.. I chose not to ask the driver.

To be fair, there's a bloody big truck coming the opposite way...
upload_2019-4-23_23-2-59.png

He was slightly out of line with the rest of the queue before that, so I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one,

upload_2019-4-23_23-4-45.png

Nothing intentional or spiteful in his manoeuvre IMO.

littlejojo

Regular
As i approached one this morning on my commute. Sunny day, head lights on blinking mode I slowed down, looked right, no car, looked left car coming slowly but about 20meters away.
So, i enter the round about and half way through that very car does not stop but continues on through. It's clear the driver doesn't see me so i have to break to avoid t-boning the car. As she drives past my lights catch her eye and she realises what has happened, freaks out and continues.

The driver behind me clearly has seen what happened but honks their horn anyway in frustration that i have apparently made them stop in the middle of the round about. Then slams the accelerator to get around me as we exit.

Love Sydney drivers.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Filtering this morning when SUV turns his wheel & blocks me off whilst I am alongside. Either deliberate, or done without checking mirrors. I can't decide.. I chose not to ask the driver.

To be honest, that is a pretty narrow gap, I would not fancy squeezing through. That is a massive traffic jam - is that a regular event or was the road particularly bad that day ?

rugby bloke

Veteran
The Sun was up at 6am so a very pleasant ride to the station, albeit with a bit of a niggly headwind - we seem to have had Easterly winds for ever. A surprising amount of traffic for the time of day but nothing to report. A segregated cyclepath is being build alongside St Pancras station, which can cause the traffic to snarl up, I was surprised at the number of cyclists happily riding down the pavement rather than waiting their turn in the queue. I would have thought that they would at least walked their bikes.
Further down Grey's Inn Road I saw an altercation between a car and a cyclist at a zebra crossing, did not see the lead up so I did not get involved.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
To be fair, there's a bloody big truck coming the opposite way...
View attachment 463872
He was slightly out of line with the rest of the queue before that, so I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one,

View attachment 463873

Nothing intentional or spiteful in his manoeuvre IMO.

Thanks. Agreed - a mirror check might've been prudent perhaps but it is just part of the warp & weave of filtering.

straas

Matt
Forgot to swap my saddlebag (with tube, levers and pump) over to my commuter after the weekend. No issue as I havn't p**ctured for about 4 months.

3km down the road, and flat tyre :_( luckily bike shop within a km with levers and track pump - but whilst there noticed my wheel was out of true! ARGH

spent half the evening getting the wheel as true as I could manage - didn't do a terrible job in the end.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Thanks. Agreed - a mirror check might've been prudent perhaps but it is just part of the warp & weave of filtering.

Hindsight 20/20 and all that. I would have filtered that way myself, no question, but watching the video back though I'd be thinking "Hmmm, I probably shouldn't have done that". In this case the driver is just not switched on, sees the truck and pulls in - no mirror check. Of course, this begs the question of where you would have gone next anyway given that the silver car in front of that is locked into the kerb.

Not that any of this is criticism of you or the driver, just an objective analysis of the footage in front of me.

Subjectively, I would have considered filtering on the outside in this cramped instance but, as i say, hindsight is 20/20.

I thought an Amarok was an SUV ?

Here in Canada if it has a box, its a pickup truck, possible exception an El Camino
Even if the box is ridiculously small or has a lockable cover it is a truck.
I am amazed that the Amarok is not available in Canada, but here your typical VW driver is either a Hippie or an architect.

SUV's are off road vehicles never used off road and do not have a box.

"VW truck" is bit of an oxymoron, I had no idea they made them.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Had my first real near miss whilst cycling through London last night. Heading up Grey's Inn Road a car pulled out from a side street - either it had not seen me, had seen me and misjudged my speed or seen me and ignored me, who knows. Anyway, very appreciative of the disc brakes - now I have got used to them they are amazing at bringing you to a halt without any drama. The driver immediately apologized so I left it and got on with my journey.

Top Bottom