Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My post-Alps weight loss is still present. :smile:
On 15th June just before leaving for the Alps, it was 80kg.
On 22nd July just after returning, it was 76.5kg.
Today, after riding home from work, it was 77kg.
My height is 190cm, so I'm fairly happy with the above.

BeardyAndyM

Oops - corrected now - thanks @vickster. There's my gender prejudice running away uncontrolled. (slaps own wrist).

Although that does open up an interesting question...

I personally think I would have taken the same line as @Randombiker9, but I'm quite a cautious rider, and I don't like turning that sharply.

It would be interesting to find out whether there is a gender / confidence gap regarding the line taken. I wonder how many of us would have done as @BeardyAndyM suggests and taken a more aggressive turn in, and whether confident bikers or male bikers are more likely to take an "ownership" position on the road?

Sadly the lesser vehicle always gets bullied on the road.

My mother in law used to let me borrow her Nissan Micra when i needed a break from my 50 mile round trip daily commute and the amount of cars that would try to push me around was laughable (the hardened cyclist at the wheel however was having none of it!)

I always keep well over when just riding along but will get myself in the middle of the road when turning right at a junction, if you keep right they will try and go under if they can.

Sixmile

Veteran
My legs were really tired this morning so took 2 minutes longer to get to my 5 mile marker point of my regular 12 mile commute. Around about mile 7 I'd a horrendously unpleasant motorist threatening all sorts stopping beside me to offer insults and aggression in spade loads. His problem was that I was about 2 bike lengths over a stop line as I waited for the lights to turn green (I know every sequence on that road like the back of my hand). Fair enough, by the letter of the law I should wait behind the line but for this chap to declare all sorts of threats and abuse and that I was lucky that he's busy today because 'rules are rules' as he sat in his battered Zafira with no seat belt and illegally tinted front and rear lights, is just so ironic. I think I was most annoyed that he referred to my brand new green glasses as me sitting there with my 'wee bug eyes'! I thought they looked good :laugh:

Rob Walker

Über Member
I am sure i am not the only one to endure extreme wet weather today,here is the Roe Green Loop line near Astley which me and a fellow commuter attempted before taking a drier detour this afternoon !

Was that the bit leading to the leigh busway? If so, it's a good thing I took a different route on Wednesday, but it was all gone by Thursday morning.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Nearly got taken out by a BSO this morning; cruising along on the cycle path (i know, madness took over me) behind said dumpling before shoulder check and overtake was on the cards. Numpty decided to take a sharp 90 degree turn into a junction without signalling, checking shoulder or... listening out to me shouting "Oy, farkface wotcher!". Headphones where deeply implanted into his bonce...

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Was darker than I was expecting when I came out of yoga at 9pm. Luckily I have put a couple of £2.50 rechargeable lights on the front and rear forks in an anti theft way so they can stay on 247. Worked a treat this evening.
IMG_20190707_164746931.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
First time on the commute for 10 days and certainly felt it in the legs. Did anyone else have the high winds last night ? It was fair blowing a gale in Wellingborough which sapped whatever strength I had in my legs for the return ride. The usual succession of close passes on the climb up from Little Irchester - I think it must be people using it to avaoid the A45 roadworks but it a consistent feature of the ride.
Other than that, great the be back on the bike, hopefully be a bit stronger tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First time on the commute for 10 days and certainly felt it in the legs. Did anyone else have the high winds last night ? It was fair blowing a gale in Wellingborough which sapped whatever strength I had in my legs for the return ride. The usual succession of close passes on the climb up from Little Irchester - I think it must be people using it to avaoid the A45 roadworks but it a consistent feature of the ride.
Other than that, great the be back on the bike, hopefully be a bit stronger tomorrow.

Nasty headwinds last night, made for a tough old journey home. This evenings commute is looking the same.

T675Rich

Nothing interesting but after raising my seat by about a cm last night my legs are not nearly a tired as usual, the LBS who sold it me said I wouldn't want it higher than they set it for me, I guess that was wrong. I still think I could have it a bit higher.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Love the attitude - I avoid cycling through any water if I cannot see what lies beneath so this is very impressive !

There is a conveniently positioned CSDG* to tell him how deep the water is. Also note that he is riding on the pavement, although I guess it would take a VERY pedantic copper to pull him up on this one.

*Car-Shaped Depth Gauge.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Love the attitude - I avoid cycling through any water if I cannot see what lies beneath so this is very impressive !

Met another cyclist trying similar this morning but failed miserably ! Considering its all drainage/waste water that has siphoned back up it wouldn't be me ! Anyway I got caught in all of that heavy downpour yesterday, went from being bone dry to absolute drowned rat in all of 3 mins . Mudguards don` help ! :-D

Top Bottom