Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
0°C on my ride to work this morning. :cold:
I miss that European heatwave, and wish I was still in the French Alps right now. :sad:
As usual, the motorists' attitude to cyclists in Australia sucks.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well my commute ended in such an amazing way !! I am on phased return to work after my lay off and there was an official cutting of the ribbon for the newly completed stretch of the Bridgewater way at Astley. For those who may not know,this stretch has always been called the "muddy mile" due to it being left in an aweful condition whilst each side of it had been resurfaced into an amazing cycle/walking link. Finally everyone came together and the path has now been finished and to officially open this section we had the legend that is Chris Boardman and the Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnam along with people from Peel Holdings who own this section. After all the interviews and pomp,i spoke to Chris and he kindly had his photo taken with me and my Boardman fixie on which he commented on how good it looked even though it had a few mods and being an early 2011 model. I was a bit chuffed !!! On top of that,he had rode from Manchester on one of his latest bikes, top bloke. He was heading partially my way so it was rude not to ride with him along the canal before i turned off,i wished him a safe ride and we went our separate ways,best commute ever !!! View attachment 477755 View attachment 477756 View attachment 477757
Absolutely fek'ing awesome. You might have put on a decent shirt though, you nobber!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Interesting ride in this morning. Aside from the worst flooded roads I’ve experienced in fully 20 years (!), I seem to be in a spate of idiot motorists.

Today’s featured someone driving straight at me onto a mini roundabout I was already on. Emergency stops and much agricultural language ensued (from me, as the adrenaline got to me). The fool claimed his pillar made me invisible FFS.

I’ve had about one incident a day for the past week, normally it’s more like one a month.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A quite remarkably wet ride home, pouring rain, lots of standing water, road closures etc. Turns out it really is exceptional - the local river has just passed its highest ever recorded level!

Screenshot_20190731-173412_Facebook.jpg

13 rider

Guru
I am sure i am not the only one to endure extreme wet weather today,here is the Roe Green Loop line near Astley which me and a fellow commuter attempted before taking a drier detour this afternoon ! View attachment 477898 View attachment 477899
Chris Boardman would have got through :okay:

Hicky

Guru
Mcr last night was a joke, car drivers blocking most junctions and those who were amber gamblers were considered as generous, I've never seen so many people run red lights.
Fortunately the rain only hit me for the last couple of miles home.

BeardyAndyM

What do you mean? I stopped to avoid an accident and he went past and then turned l to he could of easily knocked me off or hooked me if I stayed in the left on his inside and it’s not on a camera but a few moments after that there’s a small junction where I have to change into a bus lane (which is on the right)

Just watched it again..

At 30 seconds in you leave the road works with the cab behind you but stay in the right hand lane, yes the cabby didn't waste anytime in cutting under you but if you'd have moved across straight away he'd not have been able to go underneath. Not saying he's right but you left the door open!

icowden

Veteran
Just watched it again..
At 30 seconds in you leave the road works with the cab behind you but stay in the right hand lane,

To me it looks like she (apols and thanks to @vickster!) starts to turn in at the end of the roadworks taking (not unreasonably) a fairly shallow angle. He senses the cab driver who has seen a gap and undercut and turns to look over his left shoulder. The cab driver sees this as weakness and keeps undercutting. He doesn't stay out because he wants to, but because he is forced to.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
To me it looks like he starts to turn in at the end of the roadworks taking (not unreasonably) a fairly shallow angle. He senses the cab driver who has seen a gap and undercut and turns to look over his left shoulder. The cab driver sees this as weakness and keeps undercutting. He doesn't stay out because he wants to, but because he is forced to.
He is a she ;)

icowden

Veteran
Oops - corrected now - thanks @vickster. There's my gender prejudice running away uncontrolled. (slaps own wrist).

Although that does open up an interesting question...

I personally think I would have taken the same line as @Randombiker9, but I'm quite a cautious rider, and I don't like turning that sharply.

It would be interesting to find out whether there is a gender / confidence gap regarding the line taken. I wonder how many of us would have done as @BeardyAndyM suggests and taken a more aggressive turn in, and whether confident bikers or male bikers are more likely to take an "ownership" position on the road?

Top Bottom