Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE="Arjimlad, post: 5715756, member: 18289"
This Jaguar driver thinks the cycle paint is his personal stop line. Don't you just hate it when they do this ?[/QUOTE]

That is something that really grinds my gears. Just stop at the white line like you are supposed to. Its not very hard.
Its even worse when they start rolling forward before you have passed.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
[QUOTE="Arjimlad, post: 5715756, member: 18289"
This Jaguar driver thinks the cycle paint is his personal stop line. Don't you just hate it when they do this ?

That is something that really grinds my gears. Just stop at the white line like you are supposed to. Its not very hard.
Its even worse when they start rolling forward before you have passed.[/QUOTE]

Yup... he rolled into it when I was some way off, he could see me for a long time. Often, they'll roll back out of the way but not this entitled twuzzock !

Thankfully the main road was quiet. It is usually busy in term time and squeaking my way out into the traffic is hazardous. The drivers have all emerged from work and are usually fully occupied in catching up with social media on their mobile phones rather than looking out of the windscreen at the road ahead.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Today I went to collect my bike from a bike rack at Southmead hospital. I unlocked it and pushed it along the pavement towards my car. Then this security guard approaches me and asks me to produce the key for the lock and show it works. He grabbed my arm gently and said don't run and held my arm till I'd found the key and proved it worked. He then apologised, shook my hand and told his colleagues to stand down on his radio.

I asked what made him think I had stolen the bike. He said it was hard to see on the camera whether I was steeling or unlocking.

I was wearing a hoodie and baseball cap.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Today I went to collect my "don't matter" bike from a bike rack at Southmead hospital. I unlocked it and pushed it along the pavement to get to where my car was parked (no helmet, no riding). Then this security guard rushes up from behind me and asks me to produce the key for the lock and show it works. He then grabbed my arm gently and said don't run and held my arm till I'd found the key and proved it worked. He then apologised, shook my hand and told his colleagues to stand down on his radio.

I asked what made him think I had stolen the bike. He said it was hard to see on the camera whether I was steeling or unlocking.

Kudos to the guard! Wish more were as proactive and vigilant. (Slight downmark for stereotyping - I can live with that.)

Yesterdays commute got off to a bad start, at a cross road I witnessed a young lad (14 ish) on a bike fly through a red light only to be collected by the front end of a motor scooter. Neither was hurt and the lad legged it before the scooter rider could grab him. I then caught up with the lad just before a silver range rover pulled out on him from the left but not right in fornt of him, there was ample time to slow. The lad went wild swearing and carrying on.( amusing since he had just done a worse stunt) He picked the wrong guy, he filled the range rover and was very short tempered. He screached to a halt threatening all sorts. The lad legged it again.
I thought that's enough for one day when I was catching a rather fit looking swift middle aged guy when a smartly dressed guy on a electric scooter pulled out on him from the left. Now in my opinion, the cyclist could easily have avoided him and given him room but he decided to not give him much room at all as he came out. Then ensued one of the most politest and mild mannered disagreaments I have witnessed on the road, neither raised their voices and no threats. Trouble is it went on for ages. When we stopped at the lights it still went on. I was kind of on the cyclist side, only because the previous day a cycling buddy ( and on this forum a while ago) got taken out by a motor scooter, damaged bike and himself, scooter ride legged it leaving him on the deck.

This morning my heart rate did not want to climb at all to begin with , that's until I spied my first person ever on a commute in full Ineos kit complete with Pinarello. I had to chase him down just for giggles. He was obviously a faster rider than me just cruising. He was originally doing 18mph, when I caught him, yep the speed went up. He soon get bored with me and started to freewheel. I took the hint and went past and he went back to his previous speed.

dhd.evans

Veteran
My Aksiums have been rubbing on my back brakes when climbing out of the saddle or generally pushing it out of the saddle. Had the loose spokes sorted, realigned the brakes, reset the wheel in the drop outs and tightened the QR lever. Still rub.

Swapped to the Ksyriums this morning for a road-test before tomorrow's 60 miler. No rub.

Suspicion is that the Aksium bearings are gubbed which is a bugger.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Today I went to collect my bike from a bike rack at Southmead hospital. I unlocked it and pushed it along the pavement towards my car. Then this security guard approaches me and asks me to produce the key for the lock and show it works. He grabbed my arm gently and said don't run and held my arm till I'd found the key and proved it worked. He then apologised, shook my hand and told his colleagues to stand down on his radio.

My wife locks her bike up at Southmead so I'm glad they're vigilant. So many cases of cycle parking areas covered by CCTV and with security staff around and yet well-locked bikes still get stolen. The occasional false alarm is a price worth paying ?

dhd.evans

Veteran

Its even worse when they start rolling forward before you have passed.

Yup... he rolled into it when I was some way off, he could see me for a long time. Often, they'll roll back out of the way but not this entitled twuzzock !

Thankfully the main road was quiet. It is usually busy in term time and squeaking my way out into the traffic is hazardous. The drivers have all emerged from work and are usually fully occupied in catching up with social media on their mobile phones rather than looking out of the windscreen at the road ahead.[/QUOTE]

Should've picked the bike up and done this:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Today's heat wave has bought out all the children who are either on a death wish or are deaf as my lunchtime cycle path commute was hard work due to the amount of them that just walked out in front of me

dhd.evans

Veteran
Took the bike for a long ride on Saturday on my good wheels. Got not one but two punctures! First one was a stone that gashed a Mariana-sized trench hole in my tire, second was said hole causing pressure to fall out of the tire. 47mi of a 64mi done and I am proper ragey about it.

Back on the Aksiums then this morning - heavy, cumbersome things.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sunny when I left work. Five minutes later really heavy rain. Five minutes after that sunny again, pretty much dried up by the time I got home except for my shoes.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I spotted an unexplored bridleway yesterday, so I took my Revolt to work and did some green laning much to a rabbit's surprise.

Nettle rash on my leg but it made for a change to the norm
IMG_20190828_101239.jpg

Top Bottom