Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
a Muppet nearly took me out by pulling out of a junction just at the bottom of a hill... It's a wide junction so you can see the cars at the junction... I come down it quite quick but always cover the brakes, looked like he was waiting for me to go past, but no he waiting for something else (or peeing about on phone) and pulled out on me. luckily I managed to stop in time he got a very loud 'Whoa F****** Whoa!' and we made serious eye contact, couple of blokes on pavement saw it and shook their heads in amazement... as car drove he gave me a couple of pips on horn either meant either as 'sorry mate' or 'If you are going to shout at me I'm going to angrily pip you as it was your fault for riding a bike...." I reckon it was the latter... closest I've got for a while to a big off and I reckon it would have totalled my Propel.

For anyone local to me it was in Stapenhill, Burton at Rosliston Road/Hill Street juction (And I had the serious Blues after it)

dhd.evans

Veteran
While it doesn't look like much, I was travelling at 30mph down this hill when this jumped up numpty (clearly bereft of coffee) pulled out of the slip road:

upload_2019-9-3_8-19-13.png

Managed to haul myself right and clipped his wing mirror on the way past:

upload_2019-9-3_8-19-43.png

The bell-end then pulled off in another direction, slapped his wing mirror back into place and went on his merry way. We caught up at the traffic lights, he was aggressive about having never hit me and never come near me.

Bit of a shame for him that when he performed said dippy driving this was the car behind him:

upload_2019-9-3_8-21-28.png

Plod and myself had a brief discussion and were happy to support my statement if i decide to report the driving.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is this the longest thread on the boards? 29087 posts wow!

On the commuting section yes.
The rest of the forum, no, not by a long shot.

Funny this is, I was out cycling only the other day with Martin who started it. He's no longer of this parish unfortunately.
He fell out of love with cycling and gave up his commute. He's now slowly starting to get back into it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
a Muppet nearly took me out by pulling out of a junction just at the bottom of a hill... It's a wide junction so you can see the cars at the junction... I come down it quite quick but always cover the brakes, looked like he was waiting for me to go past, but no he waiting for something else (or peeing about on phone) and pulled out on me. luckily I managed to stop in time he got a very loud 'Whoa F****** Whoa!' and we made serious eye contact, couple of blokes on pavement saw it and shook their heads in amazement... as car drove he gave me a couple of pips on horn either meant either as 'sorry mate' or 'If you are going to shout at me I'm going to angrily pip you as it was your fault for riding a bike...." I reckon it was the latter... closest I've got for a while to a big off and I reckon it would have totalled my Propel.

For anyone local to me it was in Stapenhill, Burton at Rosliston Road/Hill Street juction (And I had the serious Blues after it)

No-one realises how much this can shake you up, a nasty near miss from an inattentive careless driver. Can you report this muppet ?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I can understand folk packing the commute in if having to use busy roads. As i get older and possibly wiser :tongue: , I try and now avoid busy main roads if I can, lucky in that most of my commute is cycle path and quiet roads. In times gone buy I would dice it out with vehicles on busy roads, I think twice now.

Sixmile

Veteran
Felt every bit a winter commute today. Wet, dull, windy and heavy traffic. I really don't enjoy the rain and wind combo.

While it doesn't look like much, I was travelling at 30mph down this hill when this jumped up numpty (clearly bereft of coffee) pulled out of the slip road:

View attachment 483274

Managed to haul myself right and clipped his wing mirror on the way past:

View attachment 483275

The bell-end then pulled off in another direction, slapped his wing mirror back into place and went on his merry way. We caught up at the traffic lights, he was aggressive about having never hit me and never come near me.

Bit of a shame for him that when he performed said dippy driving this was the car behind him:

View attachment 483276

Plod and myself had a brief discussion and were happy to support my statement if i decide to report the driving.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Their windows seem to be totally steamed up.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I can understand folk packing the commute in if having to use busy roads. As i get older and possibly wiser :tongue: , I try and now avoid busy main roads if I can, lucky in that most of my commute is cycle path and quiet roads. In times gone buy I would dice it out with vehicles on busy roads, I think twice now.

Well worth extending the commute to find a route that feels more comfortable/safe (but possibly slower). That's what I did about 3 years ago - it transformed my commuting experience and made it so much more enjoyable.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Was lashing down at 4 a.m. when I woke from an odd dream.

Still at it when I woke up for the alarm.

Still at it when I opened the door for the cat.

Stopped by the time I left.

Also, from this month, I can claim £3/ day for cycling (it's for not having a car parking space at work so applies to car-sharers, public transport users, pedestrians & motorcyclists- was £2/ day until now). Pays for lunchtime coffee.

A soggy ride in so broke out the winter commuter with full mudguards. I was catching another cyclist on a two way cycle lane on a raised pavement right next to the A13. He was riding in a perfectly straight line so had no qualms about going past, he suddenly veered right towards me, now I didn't want to end up under the wheels of a lorry so I responded with a fairly robust shoulder barge which had him a bit shouty. We had a brief loud discussion on who's fault it was and he didn't like my explanation as to I would rather flatten him then get myself flattened by his bad cycling . We then carried on our way.
Then cycling down the curved amp into the underground car park I heard a crash. The lady cyclist behind me had completely lost it on the bend and hit the deck. I stopped and made sure she was ok, she did the "no nothing happened here and I am not hurt at all" act but she hit the deck quite hard so I think she may be sore in a while. I was at a bit of a loss as to how it happened as she had probably 32mm tyres on and the road underground was completely dry, and I had felt no slip at all and was going faster.

GetFatty

Über Member
No footage but very nearly in a serious accident yesterday. Heading north on Sydenham Road in Croydon I was stopped at a red light at the junction with St James' Road in the ASL. Car pulled up behind me leaving me plenty of room. Cars began turning into Sydenham Road off St James and all of a sudden there was a lot of revving and another car came flying down my right hand side, swerved to what felt like inches from me to avoid a car coming the other way and then shot straight across the red light. I'm guessing he was running from something but not sure what. Quite scary though.

Sixmile

Veteran
Properly drenched on the way home yesterday. I particularly hate drenched commutes when on the road bike, other bikes just never seem to be that bad.

This morning I opted for a drive/cycle commute using the fat bike. It's slower by miles (per hour..) but so much more craic riding to work. Wet under wheel but I arrived in half an hour later relatively dry.

Top Bottom