Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Two near misses in one week on the same junction and road - should i changed my route to compensate?

Edit: Admittedly, before someone points it out, i was doing a 'fair lick'. Minimum of 28mph here.

IME A lot of drivers don't pay enough attention to judge the speed of an oncoming bike, and they simply don't expect anyone to be doing more than 10mph even if they don't look like Miss Marple.

Or they just think SMIDAFig and pull out anyway, 'cos they can.

After all, they've got a protective steel cage around them, whereas you will break your bones and bleed if you don't or can't take evasive action in time. Just be aware would be my view, as you obviously are.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nursed a puncture for 12 miles and then gave in :sad: Tubeless is not winning me over just now.

13 rider

Guru
My commute takes through Bradgate park . A deer park within which no traffic is allowed so normally just see dog walkers and runners . This morning I past 3 fireman in full uniform carry oxygen cylinders. Had to ask why .They were training for a charity run doing it early so noone saw them . The things you see while on your bike

As I nipped to the village's Co-op on my bike to pick something up for my wife, I approached one of those give way to oncoming traffic speed reduction measures which force motorist to stop and wait for the road ahead to clear. I had right of way, only last night this particular idiot felt the give way rule doesn't apply to him when oncoming traffic is just a person on a bicycle. The total arsewipe barged through at high speed as I approached, forcing me to make an emergency stop. He deliberately didn't pull back into the left lane and passed me with centimeters to spare at speed whilst blaring his horn. Why would anyone want to do this to another person? The roads are just lawless these days. Very depressing.

icowden

Veteran
Two near misses in one week on the same junction and road - should i changed my route to compensate?

Edit: Admittedly, before someone points it out, i was doing a 'fair lick'. Minimum of 28mph here.

If that had been me in a car I'd have thought "annoying but fair enough". Personally I'd have slowed down (yes I know that's much more annoying on a bike) once I saw he was pulling out rather than going for the pass. Ideally he should have waited but I personally think this one is a bit of a no score draw.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
As I nipped to the village's Co-op on my bike to pick something up for my wife, I approached one of those give way to oncoming traffic speed reduction measures which force motorist to stop and wait for the road ahead to clear. I had right of way, only last night this particular idiot felt the give way rule doesn't apply to him when oncoming traffic is just a person on a bicycle. The total arsewipe barged through at high speed as I approached, forcing me to make an emergency stop. He deliberately didn't pull back into the left lane and passed me with centimeters to spare at speed whilst blaring his horn. Why would anyone want to do this to another person? The roads are just lawless these days. Very depressing.

Plain old bullying, sorry you had to experience this. It is very sad but I have taken to recording my local utility village riding nowadays because the drivers are no less contemptuous towards their cycling neighbours !

icowden

Veteran
Got all excited today. I reported a black cab on 3rd June for a close pass on me, veering towards pedestrians then almost knocking off a second cyclist.
The MET e-mailed me today - I thought it was just gone forever.

Then i read the e-mail which was to thank me for the footage...

and then to upbraid me for, after remonstrating with the driver, continuing round the corner to the crossing to Waterloo Station (about 20 yards) on the pavement (albeit slowly and carefully), rather than going all the way round the roundabout with an angry taxi driver behind me. Looks like I am the bad guy... !!?! (although they did say no action would be taken against me on this occasion).

I have replied to ask if they took action against the cabbie...

rivers

How far can I go?
I have been inching closer to a 16mph average on my commute for a while, but it's always remained elusive, hitting 15.8/9 several times throughout the summer, until this morning. When I finally hit it. I think I might have to go die now...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have been inching closer to a 16mph average on my commute for a while, but it's always remained elusive, hitting 15.8/9 several times throughout the summer, until this morning. When I finally hit it. I think I might have to go die now...
That's my target. However it's very elusive due to the sheer amount of traffic and the 40 odd sets of traffic lights and crossings on the 18 miles. Every now and again..the greens are good, the traffic is light and I manage it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
16mph is on a good day for me these days, gone are the 18-19mph averages that I could muster. Road changes and a different commuting route now for me means those figures are no more.......

Top Bottom