Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3 flats in 2miles in the pouring rain this morning,aborted,headed home and drove to the tube station.
Youre making a habit of this, you punctured last time we met fella.

This morning’s ride was a bit chill, might have to break out the leg warmers tomorrow.

Only 2 semi incidents. In Dagenham I have to get from the inside lane to an outside lane ( 3 lanes) to make a right turn.
I was sprinting like a loon into a slight headwind to match traffic speed ( 28mph) to get across, I got into the middle lane no problem but there was a single car in the outside lane, he spotted me but instead of accelerating so I could drop in behind him or braking to let me in front the guy matched my speed beside me and I could see him looking at me rather than the road ahead I had a queue of cars behind me and did not want to brake as I have no brake lights and could end up being shunted, I was running out of metres for the right turn and we ended up having a conversation via hand signals where he got the message and he finally apologised with a wave and accelerated out of my way I made the turn with only around 4 metres to spare .

Then when on the 2 way CS3 coming the other way was a man and a woman cycling side by side chatting, they rode close together ( they looked like club cyclists, road bike all the gear etc.) so still room for me coming the other way so did not concern me too much,( just thought it is NOT the done thing and someone will not be happy) sure enough the rider behind me hadn’t seen them and got quite a shock and voiced his non appreciation at their riding.

Heigue'r

Veteran
New rubber on today @HarryTheDog ..the old one was a bit square.

Sixmile

Veteran
I intended to take the car for the first 5 miles of my commute today as I'm pressed for time later, plus it's due to bucket. I went out this morning and realised I'd a flat on the car so had to cycle the full 12.4 as usual. I can't say I'm looking forward to the forecast lashing later.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Had a MGIF approach from a fellow cyclist in his Audi. He'll be getting a telling off next time i see him.

Also, this guy. WARNING: VERY SWEARY LANGUAGE

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

"Are you for real?" I said, as I became aware of this attempted overtake this morning.

I can imagine the passenger shouting "Abort, ABORT!!" as the driver suddenly realised why overtaking when you cannot see the road ahead is not a good idea !

I hope the white Hyundai wasn't too scared by having to jam anchors on. No moments like this when I was accompanying my son learning, thankfully. The Corsa driver was able to overtake safely a few seconds further up the road.

D

Deleted member 26715

"Are you for real?" I said, as I became aware of this attempted overtake this morning.
You have to wonder sometimes what these people are thinking, the road looks straight, they must have seen the Hyundai coming

Plain old bullying, sorry you had to experience this. It is very sad but I have taken to recording my local utility village riding nowadays because the drivers are no less contemptuous towards their cycling neighbours !

I know. It is completely ludicrous that some feel the need to record a 3 minute ride to the local shop. It's too much hassle for me personally, and I won't let bullies stop me nipping out without the car but I have gone from 5 days commuting by bike, wind, rain or shine for 4 years to maybe once in a blue moon. It causes me much internal angst and cognitive dissonance to climb into a private motor now, but even a formly hardy rider like myself reached a limit to the flagrant disregard to the vulnerability of non-motorists on our roads. As much as I want to at times, I can't bring myself to regularly climb back on the bike for commuting purposes.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
even a formly hardy rider like myself reached a limit to the flagrant disregard to the vulnerability of non-motorists on our roads. As much as I want to at times, I can't bring myself to regularly climb back on the bike for commuting purposes.

Very sad to read this. Understandable, and not remotely intended as a criticism, but very sad, nonetheless.

Very sad to read this. Understandable, and not remotely intended as a criticism, but very sad, nonetheless.
I hope to return to it one day, if infrastructure and enforcement can be improved in favour of cyclists. My sense is that things are just getting worse as congestion and animosity worsens, and crimes committed against cyclists are regarded by the police as unimportant, "you shouldn't have been on a bike, you've only got yourself to blame for putting yourself in that position".

I have been knocked off twice, really nasty close calls another two dozen times at least, I've been spat on, had bottles thrown out of windows. I've had fireworks launched at me, I've been goaded for 2 fist fights in the middle of the road. It's no wonder hardly any women or children cycle. I'm not a small bloke. People don't pick on me in the street, but on a bike, for some reason I'm fair game, scum, I'm a target.

I was hardy up to a point, but then my resolve eventually snapped. It was something as innocuous as a close pass that triggered it. I wrote about it on this forum, and riding on the road hasn't been the same since. Stay safe out there guys.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@confusedcyclist Unless people ride regularly I don't think they can believe the amount of dangerous driving that goes on. Or they're not bothered because they're in a modern car with airbags & crumple zones. Either way they won't be getting on their bikes anytime soon. Better infrastructure, driver training and enforcement are urgently required.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I cycled in to work today just to prove to myself I still can. I survived! No fuss. :okay:

Great!

I hope you had as glorious a day to cycle to work as me.

IMG_20190913_095931.jpg

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's supposed to be spring here, but tonight's minimum is forecast as 2 degrees, and the next one as 1 degree. :cold: Then the forecast minimum is back up to 15 degrees by Thursday night / Friday morning, then back down under 5 degrees a few days later. :wacko:

Top Bottom