Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Considerate wide & patient overtaking is the norm from this driver, for me. I have asked the company to say thank you on my behalf.

If only every delivery driver was as careful.
UPS.jpg

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
More motoring morons on the road during my ride to work this morning. I bloody hate Australia :sad: It has to be one of the most anti-cyclist countries in the world.
I have heard Australia is a little anti cyclist, stay save down there

Randombiker9

Got stuck by bin men and lorry on Tuesday
If you cycle how are you meant to get pass them because you can’t see past them and obviously you don’t want to go on inside. I had to pretty much guess.
Is their any law on this? If a bin lorry has blocked the way. Does anyone have right or way or not??

Great ride in this morning and met up with a regular and he told me he was meeting a retired commuter I used to battle back in the day at a cafe. so went to the cafe and met a couple of other regulars and my old sparring partner. Then on my way home my fly12 camera refused to turn on and just came up with a red light. Got home found it was a low power warning light. I had left it on and can report a fly 12 will record for over 5hrs. ( mostly boring footage of a garage)

13 rider

Guru
Had a spoke snap 3 miles from home ,hit a minor pot hole and ping it was gone . Wheel went out of true had to slacken the rear brake to allow the wheel to spin and pootled home . Luckily I have a spare wheel so swapped it over when I got home

sleuthey

Legendary Member
That's nowt, I did 62 miles today on 750ml, mind you I didn't get over 35mph :rolleyes:
Diesel or Lucozade?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got stuck by bin men and lorry on Tuesday
If you cycle how are you meant to get pass them because you can’t see past them and obviously you don’t want to go on inside. I had to pretty much guess.
Is their any law on this? If a bin lorry has blocked the way. Does anyone have right or way or not??

Prepare to follow, look to overtake. You can usually get off & walk past as a pedestrian ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Prepare to follow, look to overtake. You can usually get off & walk past as a pedestrian ?

It really is as simple as this.
Bin men have a job to do. I know for a fact they get abused every single day by motorists just for doing their job, so I always ask if I can pass or get off and walk if I can't get round.

Reactions: C R

KneesUp

Guru
OK so I know it's not achieved on a bike but want to show off my cars efficiency for this afternoons trip back from Portsmouth. I guess 50 MPH average speed limits have a silver lining.
View attachment 485801
That's nowt, I did 62 miles today on 750ml, mind you I didn't get over 35mph :rolleyes:
Diesels I presume? I can get to around 50mpg in the current petrol if I concentrate, but over about 51mpg seems impossible. I got 74.4mpg out of a diesel Multipla once - that's 446.4 person-miles per gallon (6 seats). (Airbag light on because I'd turned it off because child seat)
8360904899_a8d54d21d3_z.jpg

Commute in Friday had me continuing with my Fly 12 camera woes and childishly chasing down another rider.
My Fly 12 recorded for 5 minutes then jammed my light on steady full beam. I did a master reset and it continued at normal. I guess it needs a new SD memory card. I have had similar problems before with the Fly 6 as well.
Apart from that it was a nice ride in and at the 10 mile point a obviously fast guy went past so I tried to stay in contact. I did not know the guy so stayed a bit off his wheel, he kept getting away and then I would haul myself back to him. After 4 miles we had a chat at some lights and I apologised for being childish. He was ok with it and found it amusing. I kept in contact with him for the further 3 then looked at who he was on Strava fly-by.
I recognised the name and it was from time-trialing. ( I used to have a interest as my daughter was junior national 25 champ, 2nd in the 10 to Alice Barnes. when Alice was a year older). The guy does 20 min 10's. I think I bit off more than I can actually chew if he had been going full gas. I may let him go next time.
Fly12 behaved itself on the way home and so did I as I plodded home into a 14mph headwind.

Top Bottom