Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Thanks. Yes I used that for the first time last night. I'm not sure if they will accept my video though as there is no time stamp on the video, just in the file names. Iv figured out how to enable it now. At least the fact that the person is going to court means they actually act on the videos.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks. Yes I used that for the first time last night. I'm not sure if they will accept my video though as there is no time stamp on the video, just in the file names. Iv figured out how to enable it now. At least the fact that the person is going to court means they actually act on the videos.

I think they do but as you may have read in the thread about reporting mobile phone users, A&S Police have stopped giving victims feedback on what happens to their reports. Bristol Cyclists Facebook group has a long thread about this & it is being looked into on a national level too.

Skanker

That was very, very wet - I really must get a decent pair of proper waterproof overshoes as my PlanetX neoprene jobs are nice & warm in the dry, but just soak up the water in conditions like today.
Was you out in that rain this morning?
It was stupidly heavy for many hours here in Surrey. I don’t think any of my waterproofs would have saved me from that, not even the heavy duty ones I have for hunting.

Not my commute, but this womans

We were in Birmingham yesterday, & at one point, in the suburbs
Seen on;
St Marys Row (Alcester Road)
Moseley

As we were stationary at traffic-lights, I saw the 'rider' get off, & took a child out of the 'skip'
When I had a look whilst taking a few photos, it appeared to have electric assistance too, as there the location of a (removed) battery

Seemingly this?
https://www.bakfiets.com/modellen/cargobike-lang/cargobike-classic-long

Pulled 'at random', when searching the name;
https://www.londongreencycles.co.uk/shop/bikes/bakfiets-classic-long/

Not my commute, but this womans

We were in Birmingham yesterday, & at one point, in the suburbs
Seen on;
St Marys Row (Alcester Road)
Moseley

As we were stationary at traffic-lights, I saw the 'rider' get off, & took a child out of the 'skip'
When I had a look whilst taking a few photos, it appeared to have electric assistance too, as there the location of a (removed) battery

View attachment 487972

View attachment 487973

Seemingly this?
https://www.bakfiets.com/modellen/cargobike-lang/cargobike-classic-long

Pulled 'at random', when searching the name;
https://www.londongreencycles.co.uk/shop/bikes/bakfiets-classic-long/

It looks like a more modern variation of mine with a motor added (seen here planning to run away and join the circus):

2019_03_16_06.JPG

rivers

How far can I go?
Another rainy commute, but just a light drizzle compare to most of last week. Also first commute with the new tyres (pirelli cinturatos). Faster rolling than the hutchinson overides, by about 4-5 minutes with dead legs. I imagine if I put a bit of effort in, I wouldn't be too far off my summer bike commute time. The bicycle rolling resistance website has also given them the best puncture protection score of any tyre on the market. We'll see how accurate that is, although I've gone tubeless on my winter bike so it might be mostly moot

A curious commute today: all the drivers bar one mercedes driver at the start of the ride seemed a bit more aggressive and less aware of their surroundings. I saw two go over a red light which is rare enough in itself here to get a comment.

One was a school bus, egads. So much for "Being a good example" as the notices on pedestrian crossings say here to try and shame pedestrians into waiting for the green signal.

On arriving I found lots of drivers were delayed by traffic: apparently the Autobahn was bunged up and the dual carriageway in the valley has roadworks. One of the roads between the two has been reduced to one lane for months since someone crashed into a power mast, so the box inhabitants were getting proper wound up and delayed today.

Unfortunately I couldn't use this excuse as I'd been on cycleways most of the way: I'm just badly organised.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The PX Ti commuter/Tour has been boxed up for a weeks cycling in Spain next week. So I had to get out the Van Nich and have a play on the commute with it. And boy what a difference it makes. No panniers or mudguards. Lighter wheels and tyres. It was a lovely fair nimble. zippy ride in.
Not so much faster as the school traffic this morning was diabolical.
But a lovely ride never the less. Mild temperatures meant short sleeves and shorts still, but it's looking like its going to be a wet ride home.

The PX Ti commuter/Tour has been boxed up for a weeks cycling in Spain next week. So I had to get out the Van Nich and have a play on the commute with it. And boy what a difference it makes. No panniers or mudguards. Lighter wheels and tyres. It was a lovely fair nimble. zippy ride in.
Not so much faster as the school traffic this morning was diabolical.
But a lovely ride never the less. Mild temperatures meant short sleeves and shorts still, but it's looking like its going to be a wet ride home.

I have a similar experience when I go from riding the Bakfiets to my tourer. It feels like it'll move if I just sneeze.

Oddly my normal commuter doesn't feel this way. I'm not sure if it's the straight handlebars or the general geometry.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Carratti longs on, the Tenn Airflow £10 jacket doing a fine job on a "meh" morning when it isn't quite raining but everything gets damp anyway. I enjoyed the 11 miles after a weekend with little exercise.

Today, another driver learnt why we don't overtake cyclists when we can't see the road ahead is clear.

She had to abort her overtake around a bend to avoid a head-on collision with the oncoming driver, and then she missed other easy/safe opportunities to overtake, because she was scared by botching the first attempt.

School boy error from me this morning. I forgot to check my tyres on Friday night and lifted the bike out of the boot to find a flat tyre. Pumped it up hoping it was a slow but I was wrong and it led to a pretty intense commute.

Edit: New clincher tyres ordered (pro 4 Endurance), although I think I'll steal the ones of last season's winter wheels (I've replaced them with tubeless).

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Following yesterday's rain the roads were covered with all sort of rubbish - gravel, silt, loose surface dressing, sand, wet leaves and conker mulch. Add in yet more drizzle on the way home and the cut tyre thatI'd been nursing finally gave way and has now been binned - it's lasted over 200 miles since it happened and a temporary boot was fitted
It looks like this month's Premium Bond winnings will have to be spent on a pair of 23mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres for the winter as the 25mm Conti Grand Prix fitted as a replacement has less than 1mm clearance under the Raceblade Long fittings, and I refuse to go back to the wired Schwalbe Durano Plus I used over last winter being both slow and ruining the Van Nick's feel.

Top Bottom