Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Interesting to see rain/thunder/lightning and (briefly) SNOW outside my 20th floor window in London yesterday afternoon. I'm still missing my bike commute, but not so much in that weather.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Interesting to see rain/thunder/lightning and (briefly) SNOW outside my 20th floor window in London yesterday afternoon. I'm still missing my bike commute, but not so much in that weather.

I saw all of that yesterday from my office apart from snow..definitely no snow.

Why have you made the font smaller on your post? Hard to read.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's just further away...
1570017596351.png

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
On my way in this morning, about 7.30am, just getting to the S-bend in Clay Bottom on the B2B path when a dog runs around the corner, narrowly missing me. Followed by fat bloke in hi-viz vest carrying petrol can who clearly said, " The F**kin bastards are coming now", presumably to the cyclists behind me who were engaged in evading his mutt. I shouted back that he should have his dog on a lead but he ignored me. Think '8 Ace', the alcoholic superhero spoof character from Viz comic out walking a dog & you're there.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Made my point, I think. No need to nose out like this at all. Drivers have unobstructed vision from the give way markings.

Normally a driver who has stopped like this will reverse back when it becomes plain he's causing an obstruction, long before I actually get to him.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Made my point, I think. No need to nose out like this at all. Drivers have unobstructed vision from the give way markings.

Normally a driver who has stopped like this will reverse back when it becomes plain he's causing an obstruction, long before I actually get to him.

That really grinds my gears. I get it every day on my commute. Twice on tonight's ride home. Selfish, ignorant a-holes.

Skanker

I had lovely weather today for both journeys, no rain, no idiot or ignorant car drivers, just some 40 stone woman taking up the entire path with her headphones on full blast so I couldn’t get passed her as I was taking a leisurely cycle up the hill off the road so I kept out of the way of fast moving traffic. I think she pee’d a little when I tapped on her shoulder, she nearly even jumped!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had lovely weather today for both journeys, no rain, no idiot or ignorant car drivers, just some 40 stone woman taking up the entire path with her headphones on full blast so I couldn’t get passed her as I was taking a leisurely cycle up the hill off the road so I kept out of the way of fast moving traffic. I think she pee’d a little when I tapped on her shoulder, she nearly even jumped!

At least she's out and about trying to do something about it, hardly worth a mention in my opinion....

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yeah I always slip on a co-op uniform when I’m going out for some exercise too.

For an obese person, simply walking anywhere is vigorous exercise. So she's commuting, she's not driving right? There are millions that can't claim that. I say fair play to her, Loud music in ears aside, a minor annoyance im sure, but within seconds your ordeal was over no doubt....

Skanker

For an obese person, simply walking anywhere is vigorous exercise. So she's commuting, she's not driving right? There are millions that can't claim that. I say fair play to her, Loud music in ears aside, a minor annoyance im sure, but within seconds your ordeal was over no doubt....
Yes, and if you bothered to read my post properly without filling in your own gaps before jumping in for a whinge, you would have noticed that it was the loud music that was what prevented me from getting passed as she had no clue I was behind her, which is also why I startled her by tapping on her shoulder! The fact she was walking directly in the centre of a 4 person wide path did not help either. Just as having to explain my posts to people that feel the need to niggle at others for the sake of political correctness doesn’t help me want to spend my time getting involved in a conversation.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yes, and if you bothered to read my post properly without filling in your own gaps before jumping in for a whinge, you would have noticed that it was the loud music that was what prevented me from getting passed as she had no clue I was behind her, which is also why I startled her by tapping on her shoulder! The fact she was walking directly in the centre of a 4 person wide path did not help either. Just as having to explain my posts to people that feel the need to niggle at others for the sake of political correctness doesn’t help me want to spend my time getting involved in a conversation.

Political Correctness has no part in this at all and i refuse to be drawn into any such debate, i have said what i have said purely to try and offer another perspective, that is all...

Good Evening to you...

Feck it was chilly this morning, I wore a buff like a head scarf to keep my ears warm.
On the bike there was no one to play with till the 11 mile point when a guy on a expensive Aero Look bike pulled out in front of me. He looked a fair bit younger than me and was a bit quick.
However I am an old stager and I overtook him at a junction ( I went on the road, he stayed on the cycle path) then as I thought he came after me. Took him nearly a mile to get back to me, I chuckled as he went past then he put the hammer down. Despite the headwind he was hitting the high 20’s I had to really draft the crap out of him to stay with him. However his burst of speed barely lasted 300 metres, I thought he’d blown the doors off and was starting to rock and roll in the saddle. Next junction I pulled the same trick and went on the road with a lovely set of green lights. I now had a 40 metre or so head start on him.( or so I thought) I was wondering if he would make a effort to get back in contact or give up. I decided not to make it easy for him and kept the pressure on the pedals. I was on a mile open stretch and this would be a proper test. After half a mile he had not gone past. I looked back and he was nowhere to be seen. Looking on Strava flyby later found he was only on a 4 mile commute and had turned off at the junction, so not warmed up and his max heart rate was only 139 ( mine was around 160 when drafting him) so probably could have gone a dam sight faster, lucky for me had only been playing.

Top Bottom