Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup, this morning a Golf driver just rolled through red light totally oblivious to everything apart from the movement of the vehicle in front of him. They were lulled into a semi-comatose state by the heavy traffic. With a crash by the M32/A4174 north Bristol ground to a halt. This is unsustainable.

I don't know the figures for the UK but in Germany about 12 people a day are killed by cars.

If this was a virus there would be panic.

Sixmile

Veteran
The mudguards were simply no match for the rain last night. Saying that, after riding for a few weeks now with guards (for the first time ever may i add), I do notice it takes me significantly longer to get absolutely soaked through. My new Planet X overshoes are wick though, not a patch on the previous Planet X ones which lasted 3 winters.

This morning was wet under wheel but toasty up top. I debuted a new pair of thermal Altura gloves. I can't say they feel that warm, large is a little tight but on the plus side, really grippy palms on what are canvas grips on my Boardman.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got to work lovely and dry, fantastic weather the whole way.
Return journey was not so great, walked out of work and weather looking good, got to bike shed and it started spitting, road out the gate and the heavens opened up on me, pi**ed down all the way home!!
Same here. Got to about 11 miles when the heavens opened for the last 4. And I mean they opened. Not seen rain like it for years. It was so heavy that I could hardly see. Quite fun in a silly bizarre way. To say I got home looking like a drowned rat is an understatement.

Skanker

Same here. Got to about 11 miles when the heavens opened for the last 4. And I mean they opened. Not seen rain like it for years. It was so heavy that I could hardly see. Quite fun in a silly bizarre way. To say I got home looking like a drowned rat is an understatement.
Yeah I was soaked right through my waterproofs, I think my work boots and gaiters are the only true waterproof items of clothing, so at least I had toasty warm feet.
I had great fun though, I do love tearing through puddles on my mountain bike!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah I was soaked right through my waterproofs, I think my work boots and gaiters are the only true waterproof items of clothing, so at least I had toasty warm feet.
I had great fun though, I do love tearing through puddles on my mountain bike!
Lucky not to need waterproof clothing as it's so unseasonably mild here in the SE. Lycra does its stuff and dries uber quick.
And yes, cycling through puddles...nice big ones bring out the inner child.

Skanker

Lucky not to need waterproof clothing as it's so unseasonably mild here in the SE. Lycra does its stuff and dries uber quick.
And yes, cycling through puddles...nice big ones bring out the inner child.
I ride in my work clothes as they are too bulky to carry to work for the mega 4 hour shift I do. Steel toe boots need a big bag.
The waterproofs are so I don’t have to spend the shift with a wet arse! I find it very difficult to go around puddles.

Yesterday turned into traumatic Tuesday for me, on the way home first off I fell out with a motorcyclist as I was "holding him up" going down the gap in traffic. Then for some unknown reason another motorcyclist revved his engine and lunged his bike at me whilst I was crossing a road on a pedestrian crossing. Then I had torrential rain ( which I actually enjoyed and was buzzing along)and a nutter in a white van overtook me into the path of a oncoming vehicle making him swerve/brake then immediately left hooked ( missed me by 12 inches only because I braked) me and turned left. I was livid, got home and went through both my front and rear camera footage and edited both down to 4 minutes each( has to be 2 mins before and after event) . Even frame by frame could only make out part of the number plate.( shining lights and rain ruined it) deided to upload it to the police website anyway. well 3 hrs later and 5 attempts where the dam site kept crashing me back to the start when I pressed next, I had got pissed off with filling in the details and gave up.
This mornings commute normal service was restored.
May try to upload again tonight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In start contrast to yesterday evenings ride in monsoon conditions, this morning's ride couldn't have been more different. Brilliant, bright blue sky sunshine. Though the temps were quite low at 8°. As usual this time of the year the sun was very low so had to be extra vigilant looking out for muppet car drivers who don't take any sort of care in these conditions.

The Police were out in force on the A21 this morning catching all those car tax dodgers. And there was a a good few being seeing to as I went past.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Temp said 5c so i kitted up appropriately; thermal jersey, DeFeet autumn gloves and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Still a bit nippy on the old knackers.

Also, met this chap who forgot how roundabouts work (warning: swears):

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Temp said 5c so i kitted up appropriately; thermal jersey, DeFeet autumn gloves and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Still a bit nippy on the old knackers.

Also, met this chap who forgot how roundabouts work (warning: swears):

Might is right !

"Sun in his eyes" would probably be his defence - yup, so just roll however many tonnes of bonecrushing HGV onto a roundabout blind !

Might is right !

"Sun in his eyes" would probably be his defence - yup, so just roll however many tonnes of bonecrushing HGV onto a roundabout blind !

I find a lot of drivers underestimate my speed when I'm riding.

One major difference here is that truckers are rarely a problem, which I put down to the stringent laws about truck drivers licences, combined with presumed liability...

Top Bottom