Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Following on from yesterdays fatal cyclist accident. It's been playing on my mind so just didn't fancy the A21 this morning. Instead I decided to do the slower, quieter, less busy but longer parks route.

I've been doing the A21 for 15 years now and even though I have had a few comings together with cars, pedestrians and what have you, and suffered a couple of injuries, I've always got back on the bike and shrugged it off, however this tragedy has shaken me up quite a bit as it's so close to home on my commute.

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
Could someone please tell me whether this would buff right out:

IMG_20191031_170925.jpg

Twilkes

Guru
Disastrous though it was, it couldn’t have happened at a better time – right in front of my house, the day before I get another bike delivered meaning I was going to put the flat bars back on this one anyway. Coming up the hill to our house I felt the bike pulling to the left but assumed it was my toddler in the Weeride seat leaning over too far, so slowed down until we were back at the house – even managed to roll it up the kerb okay, it was only when I put the front brake on that the bar snapped. Managed to get feet down so stayed upright and no injuries.

It could have been overtightened when fitted but it’s been on the bike for five years with no problems, and it had a plastic shim around it so it wasn’t metal to metal contact. Butterfly bars might vibrate more than normal bars though, don’t know if that contributed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Disastrous though it was, it couldn’t have happened at a better time – right in front of my house, the day before I get another bike delivered meaning I was going to put the flat bars back on this one anyway. Coming up the hill to our house I felt the bike pulling to the left but assumed it was my toddler in the Weeride seat leaning over too far, so slowed down until we were back at the house – even managed to roll it up the kerb okay, it was only when I put the front brake on that the bar snapped. Managed to get feet down so stayed upright and no injuries.

It could have been overtightened when fitted but it’s been on the bike for five years with no problems, and it had a plastic shim around it so it wasn’t metal to metal contact. Butterfly bars might vibrate more than normal bars though, don’t know if that contributed.

Lucky.
I think it was @Origamist that once suffered a snapped handlebar. He crashed out but come off relatively lightly iirc

Yesterdays commute got off to a bad start, neighbors cat shat on my driveway and I stood in it, then on the commute home I was on CS3 and a cyclists with no lights screamed at me, "lights lights youre feckin blinding me" or something similar , I looked down and no my lights were on minimum, constant not strobe and pointing down he then swerved at me which really peed me off. I then remembered I had met this bad tempered middle aged bloke a few times before and he quite often mutters or says something for no apparent reason whatsoever.
This morning because of the wet I did a short commute and the first part I drove, going down a single track country lane 3 cars in front, hazards on. Some scrote had just dumped a lorry load of soil and what looked like doors and windows with smashed glass everywhere. Luckily the first vehicle was a van with 3 laborers in it who were already moving the soil and in a few minutes we were able to get past.
Then on the cycle bit guess who hove in to view. I decided to annoy the hell out of him by giving him a loud cheery good morning and a smile. It did the trick he growled and muttered. (always be nice to your enemies, its what annoys them the most)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Early morning ride out in the dark I saw a bloke on a bike approaching me, riding on his right, with a little red flashing light on his bars. He was intending to hop onto the pavement & forced me to swerve to avoid him.

I said "Roulez a Gauche" because he was on the wrong side of the road !

Mike_P

Guru
It didn't look heavy but by the time I got to work my non waterproof gloves were sodden along with the hi vi and ruck sack in parts obviously not protected by it's cover while the overshoes were a torrent of water running off them. Hence a damp trail left through the office from the entrance next to the bike shed on the 2nd floor, it's built into a hillside, to the drying room next to the showers on the 1st floor and then repeated because I had left the gloves on the saddle. Only the ruck sack dried fully so damp gloves on for the return home with everything else stuffed on the ruck sack. And them I found the stupid bike shed had failed to keep the bike dry, hello wet saddle:sad: First dark ride on the hybrid since making it an ebike and sadly the ebike Nip and Tuck front light wholly failed to adequately illuminate the roads/paths so looks like an additional front light is needed.
EDIT: something was bothering all evening that I could not put my finger on until I woke up in the wee small hours with the realisation that I had left the waterproof over trousers in the drying room. Please be dry on Monday morning and hopefully no one has "borrowed" them,

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I saw a pal walking his three dogs this morning & stopped for a nice chat. A bit driech but not actually raining.

But I also had two drivers overtake me on a country road into/despite oncoming traffic, which was forced to brake to avoid a collision. I have reported them just in case the rozzers see fit to re-educate them about the Highway Code overtaking rules. Some hope !!
Numpties...I've had quite a few of those recently and all they had to do was wait 10 seconds for the road to be clear:wacko:.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got soaked on the way in yesterday, it's that time of year again. Missed it on the way home.
Very quick on the way in this morning, I think it's going to be a bit of a slog against the wind come going home time. The journey will put the commute bike onto 15,000 miles too:smile:

straas

Matt
My cycling glasses broke a while ago and I'm loathe to spend money on commuting specs so I've been using some safety specs pilfered from the office.

Absolutely aaaaawful at misting up in the rain, think I might have to buy some better ones :-(

Mike_P

Guru
It was dry then as soon as I opened the bike shed it rained. Thankfully remembered I had another pair of over trousers, a bit on the large size, but they did the job and the other pair were still in the drying room at work:smile:

Top Bottom