Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Politely informed that the old Bill will be chasing her up; whether i bother to call up 111 and get it done is another matter...

For a lot of these drivers, just seeing the video showing your point of view would be enough to get them to behave better in future.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Using the drop bar MTB the last 2 nights as the roads are covered in wet leaves , debris from the floods and the council have dug up part of the cycle path for re tarmacing but just left muddy hard core which wouldn't have been fun on a road bike
Slower and a lot heavier so its hard work but better than falling off .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
White van decides to come out of a side road without looking, missed me by inches. Gave him the usual friendly greeting numpties always get :rolleyes:

About 5 minutes later he is at the other end of the housing estate and he flags me down. Profusely apologises to me and apologised even more when I told him how scary it is to see a vehicle coming straight at you.

Fair play to him for looking for me to apologise as he definitely had to go round the block to catch me. Hopefully he'll be more careful in the future

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Filtering along a queue of very slow-moving traffic on the left (as is normal for cyclists on this bit of road) when a driver suddenly decides to hoof her car over to the kerb without checking her wing mirror. There's a delivery van parked on the other side of the road and an approaching HGV and she was getting right over well before the HGV got to the delivery van. I managed to stop as she shut me down & managed to stay on the bike. She didn't want to talk about it although I wasn't riled or angry. Six of one & half a dozen of the other in my view.

Nearly lost my rear wheel on an icy mini roundabout last night, time to get the studded tyres on me-thinks. Got honked by car because I slowed down to recover my balance. HELLO BRAINLESS IDIOT, DIDN'T YOU SEE I NEARLY DECKED IT! :banghead:

StickyPTFE

Filtering along a queue of very slow-moving traffic on the left (as is normal for cyclists on this bit of road) when a driver suddenly decides to hoof her car over to the kerb without checking her wing mirror. There's a delivery van parked on the other side of the road and an approaching HGV and she was getting right over well before the HGV got to the delivery van. I managed to stop as she shut me down & managed to stay on the bike. She didn't want to talk about it although I wasn't riled or angry. Six of one & half a dozen of the other in my view.
Unfortunatley that is the risk we take when filtering. Well done for reacting quickly and keeping your cool.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Down to 3 degrees for my commute home last night, but for once the roads were dry so I extended my route (so as to improve my lunacy challenge results).

Was on the darkest part of the route; as an oncoming car passed, a tsunami of dirty frigid water slammed into my face without any warning!
Not sure what was worse - the freezing shock to my face, right arm and right leg (now soaked and dripping), or the gross taste of the water (like coal). Fortunately was nearly home, but the rest of the ride was a bit damp/chilly!

Have now seen the place in daylight - there's a hefty pothole which fills with run-off from an adjacent field. Lovely clean water then.

Of course the driver didn't stop to apologise, or didn't care, or perhaps didn't even notice (but that's hardly an example of good observational skills) , so hopefully the pothole bent their suspension; that would be appropriate karma.

Commute home was a slog last night, headwind that felt liquid in pushing me back though it wasn't that strong a wind. Got to my car ( I do a half drive/half cycle) drove off and a few miles later realised something wasn't right. Drivers side front tyre flat, pumped it up went a few miles and did it again. ( ford galaxy has no spare at all) till I got it home. Looks like someone slashed the sidewall, Now this all the more maddening as this tyre is just over a week old. the last one had a big knitting needle like hole in it resulting in a slow puncture. I think maybe someone on the road I park does not like it, but does not have the balls to talk to me. Oh well I'll have to find somewhere else to park.( and find another 120 quid for another tyre)
This morning whist waiting at one of those cyclists crossing lights, quite a queue of cyclist formed on both sides of the road. Lights go green and cyclist behind me decides he has the god given right to overtake into the face of other cyclists and force me nearly off the cycleway. I was having none of it and "resisted strongly"forcing him to back off and go behind me, he called me a "angry little man", my reply was "yes I am". ( edited for spelling)

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Commute home was a slog last night, headwind that felt liquid in pushing me back though it wasn't that strong a wind. Got to my car ( I do a half drive/half cycle) drove off and a few miles later realised something wasn't right. Drivers side front tyre flat, pumped it up went a few miles and did it again. ( ford galaxy has no spare at all) till I got it home. Looks like someone slashed the sidewall, Now this all the more maddening as this tyre is just over a week old. the last one had a big knitting needle like hole in it resulting in a slow puncture. I think maybe someone on the road I park does not like it, but does not have the balls to talk to me. Oh well I'll have to find somewhere else to park.( and find another 120 quid for another tyre)
This morning whist waiting at one of those cyclists crossing lights, quite a queue of cyclist formed on both sides of the road. Lights go green and cyclist behind me decides he has the god given right to overtake into the face of other cyclists and force me nearly off the cycleway. I was having none of it and "resisted strongly"forcing him to back off and go behind me, he called me a "angry little man", my reply was "yes I am". ( edited for spelling)
Very angry man😂😂😂bad luck with the car,barstewards

Mike_P

Guru
Silent at last this evening,ignoring the ebike motor but no creeks for the first time this week so presumably the slightly milder weather has caused something not to contract as much as it had.

Top Bottom