Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Came back from getting some christmas stuff from town. Lol deliveroo rider told me not to have my lights on. WTF. It was raining and it was slighty getting dark. lol why would you tell someone that. The date is right but the time is wrong happend around 3 or just before

Then this driver: (if i had been going slower i would of gotten hit but luckily i was able to avoid it.) why do drivers do this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1jcbElBEA

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Came back from getting some christmas stuff from town. Lol deliveroo rider told me not to have my lights on. WTF. It was raining and it was slighty getting dark. lol why would you tell someone that. The date is right but the time is wrong happend around 3 or just before

Then this driver: (if i had been going slower i would of gotten hit but luckily i was able to avoid it.) why do drivers do this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1jcbElBEA

The driver was just trying to bully you into stopping to let him/her turn, I would guess.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
What width tyres are you running? Had the odd tumble myself, but not since I switched my road bike from 25mm to a CX bike with 38mm tyres, and my ebike has luxuriously wide 2.4" (60mm) ones which are very confidence inspiring. Not sure how much of it is down to sheer luck, but considering it was the same corner I came off on twice and I haven't been down since, I'm sold on wider tyres. :okay:

GWS
I am running 26x1.25 Scwalbe Marathon's on an old MTB frame. I went back down the route tonight and to be honest even knowing the danger, i felt it slip like i was on black ice. Leaves are nasty !!!

Have emailed local Council, to enquire what the protocol/parameters are to request having a section of road re-lined to 2 solid whites

If anyone knows the area
Ferry Lane
Stanley
The section between the road-bridge, over the River Calder, over the old 'level crossing', to the (closed/converted to house) Ship Inn

Why?
Read on

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a 'day-turn', so heading along the road (towards) Wakefield, circa 08:15 - 08:30
Every day I had someone attempt to overtake at that point, thankfully my positioning & (arm) gestured "GET BACK!", worked

Although a while ago, one driver did force the issue
What was annoying, was that she'd followed me over the river bridge, with 100yards to overtake
Then, decided to overtake on the crest:cursing:
As she came alongside, there was an oncoming car
I was already braking, believing it was going to hurt

With a loud bang, they clipped mirrors, as she'd either braked & tried to get behind me, or simply held her line???

Both pulled in, & she was very icily told what I thought
I offered both drivers my details, but did tell her that I'd state (if contacted) that I considered her driving to fall far short of a 'reasonable & competent ability'
I will admit she appeared very shook up, & hopefully learned a very valuble lesson
I received no insurance forms, so no idea what they arranged amongst themselves

Thankfully, she was in a small car (Toyota Aygo??) but he was in a Mondeo

Where
The camera car give a slightly false image here, as the scanner is roof-mounted
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.702587,-1.464743,245.48h,-10.4p,1z

From a normal (car) drivers perspective, it's a blind-crest in either direction, but from the view shown it's even worse;
slight r/h bend
partial stone-wall to the right
bushes/branches to the right

There's no photo of on Geograph, so this is the best, looking in the opposite direction (for location purposes)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/451689

And, it's almost as bad a location, heading back towards the bridge

Granted, some may still try it, but hopefully it'll make some think before attempting?

Randombiker9

@Arjimlad A bit dumb though because it was raining and if i didn't slow down, was going slower or the a driver from the side road pulled out at the same time it would of caused an accident. luckily it didn't but drivers need to be more careful. myself i always have lights and reflective chlothing on but it shows how aware you have to be on the road as some drivers are just stupid and bit silly
:blink:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
No stunts tonight and the weather was just perfect with a nice sunset. Not sure the poor souls trapped in their tin boxes on the M-61 thought the same though. The guided busway is such a great resource for all users even in the dark

straas

Matt
After a very sleepless night with a newborn, a p**cture is NOT what the doctor ordered for today.

Had a check of the tyre and found nothing, new tube, wheel back on. Noticed a slight air bubble :-( Turns out there was a little shard of glass I'd missed. Managed to get to work on it though.

GetFatty

Über Member
A surprising amount of traffic in SE London early on this morning, volumes more like 7 am than 6am. Very wet and huge puddles were an issue but other than that not too bad.

In other news, a member of my staff was hit by a car pulling out on her. She was driving a car and is unhurt but just goes to show that numpties even miss seeing cars. :sad:

C R

Guru
Extended commute via the doctors this morning. It wasn't raining when I left home, so didn't take the waterproof jacket, as it was warm. Of course, within five minutes of setting off it started drizzling, and getting thicker by the minute. By the time I got to the surgery it was raining, I was wet, and to top it off I had forgotten my portable lock! Luckily my bike is not particularly attractive, and it was still in the rack when I came out. Still raining all the way to work, but it has now stopped.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bah humbug. South East London's wasteland gave me far too much traffic, and idiot in a white 4x4 who gut upset I stopped to let a ped cross the road so he had to stop also. (he got a bit more upset when I decided to go slow in front of him for a while), the silly woman on the phone nattering away swerving all over the place. Very wet and mucky roads from all last nights rain and to top it all.. a puncture.

Apart from that, a very pleasent commute. Nice and mild with hint's of sunshine.

The bike is filthy I tell's ya. Everytime I give it a wipe down it seem to attract even more crud.

I'm surprised its took me a year and a half to see my first cycle accident in Cambridge, saw one last night. I stopped at a pelican crossing on Hills Road (the busy main road through central Cambridge). A crowd of peds crossed (probably in the intergreen, red for both peds and traffic). A second or two later another ped appeared and despite having the green man by this time (traffic would have had red for 7 seconds) he had a careful look before stepping out. 2 seconds later a RLJ'er continued at speed straight into him. Fortunately the ped was quite well built and was wheeling a bike which deflected the RLJ'er onto the tarmac and when he quickly got up it all ended amicably.

T675Rich

I've been of work for a few weeks and this is one of the first commutes I have done and it's so much harder than I remember, what little fitness I had went quick.

Mike_P

Guru
HLaB reminds me of a commute over 30 years ago in Nottingham. My route took me across a pelican crossing in the city centre which peds ignored the red ped signal unless a bus was about. Everyday I dutifully followed the back of a bus across it without incident but on this day their was no bus, green light for road traffic so I carried on and was immediately walked into. No apology was forthcoming as I got up off the ground but my language was somewhat forceful.

Top Bottom