Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Busy at work yesterday and found myself riding home after 9pm. 3 miles into the commute, I leaned the bike against a bus shelter and walked to a grass verge to have a pee.

As I was sorting out clothing and heading back to the bike, a police van pulls up into the bus layby. Passenger window comes down and officer asks if everything is ok. I say yes, and explained of the nature stop. He smiles and said he understood. He said, he thought I'd had a mechanical and was about to offer me a lift home in the van.

Oh....bless. Ain't that nice?

Busy at work yesterday and found myself riding home after 9pm. 3 miles into the commute, I leaned the bike against a bus shelter and walked to a grass verge to have a pee.

As I was sorting out clothing and heading back to the bike, a police van pulls up into the bus layby. Passenger window comes down and officer asks if everything is ok. I say yes, and explained of the nature stop. He smiles and said he understood. He said, he thought I'd had a mechanical and was about to offer me a lift home in the van.

Oh....bless. Ain't that nice?
Weirdly it reminds me of this in a opposite sort of way :ohmy: https://road.cc/content/news/269079...ity-cyclist-he-may-get-summons-he-lies-ground

P Fairy attack on the NCN55 :cursing: Kept calm and fixed it the dark. One good thing was one cyclist and a pedestrian both asked if I needed any help
You've reminded me, I must remember to mount my frame pump tomorrow, I'm on a new bike and have everything but that in a backpack. I've just picked up a head torch for repairs in unlit areas. I've a long unlit stretch of NCN66 which would be a nightmare without a head torch. I used to use a detachable battery front light, but this new bikes got the lights integrated! Picked up a torch on amazon for £8. Nice and light enough to forget about in a bag and micro-USB rechargeable, ideal in a pinch.

:rain:Soggy start, but not cold. I'm settled into my new ebiking routine now. Enjoying it very much despite it seeming to rain every time I take it out, but the extra oomph on the climbs makes it a joy. The bike needs a good hose down now though. I've a lovely Brooks B27 to fit to it once I get 10 mins at home, the stock saddle is about twice as wide as what I'm used to. I'm not sure who these saddles are designed for, but it's making me rather sore. :laugh:

1588_A_Primary?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1440&hei=1080.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving work at 18:15 last night, I'd just got to the roundabout on Bar Lane, & was on it, to turn right towards Aberford Road - roughly where the Ford A-Max/B-Max/C-Max(?) is in the street-view link, when a chap in a red Toyota Avensis entered it off Ouchthorpe Lane (the straight across)

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.695933,-1.489437,3.96h,-18p,0.74z

I'd come from the right, to go straight ahead, as the camera sees it; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2740854

He stopped in front of me, with me, essentially a foot from his door, with 6 lights shining in his face (4 x 'bars, 2 x helmet) & all he did was lean forward to look around me:wacko:

All I got for my shout of "Oi!!!" & the Italian(??) spread arms, as in 'What The Hell!?!?" gesture was (American gesture) of 'The Bird', as he pulled off

Scrote!:cursing:

Still, at least today, my problem will only be visitors leaving at the same time as me; circa 20:00 :whistle:

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Colder than expected, so it was good that I wore my rain jacket in preparation for the expected rain on the return journey this evening.

Well damp this morning and I was amazed at the number of twonks still without mudguards and wet bums.
The ride in was a slog into a headwind but when I got to work the fun began.
First thing is my buiding has 4 lifts. Only 1 has been working for the last 2 weeks ( 5 storey building but we are the only tenant left and landlord is not really interested) This morning 0 lifts, so 5 storey hike.
Then at the beginning of this week hardly any cold water pressure only a mediocre hot water pressure so my shower was a case of running in and out of the water trying not to be cooked.
Today I noticed the cold water pressure was now restored maybe a little too much when using a sink. I went to turn the shower on and the shower which has one of those wide rainfall heads could not take the now big pressure and blew its seals where it connects to the incoming overhead pipe sending water at pressure vertically upwards towards the ceiling and spraying the entire cubicle in freezing water . Luckily my shirt was in a plastic bag in front of my trousers so my shirt was perfectly dry and only a bit of the legs of my trousers got wet.
I then tried using the hand held shower attachment but the cold water pressure is so high, the supposed thermostatic mixer tap could not handle it, even on hot only, cold water came out. so I had to give up and use just deodorant.
I wonder what will be knackered in the building tomorrow.

C R

Guru
Wet on the way back.

Have emailed local Council, to enquire what the protocol/parameters are to request having a section of road re-lined to 2 solid whites

If anyone knows the area
Ferry Lane
Stanley
The section between the road-bridge, over the River Calder, over the old 'level crossing', to the (closed/converted to house) Ship Inn

Why?
Read on

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a 'day-turn', so heading along the road (towards) Wakefield, circa 08:15 - 08:30
Every day I had someone attempt to overtake at that point, thankfully my positioning & (arm) gestured "GET BACK!", worked

Although a while ago, one driver did force the issue
What was annoying, was that she'd followed me over the river bridge, with 100yards to overtake
Then, decided to overtake on the crest:cursing:
As she came alongside, there was an oncoming car
I was already braking, believing it was going to hurt

With a loud bang, they clipped mirrors, as she'd either braked & tried to get behind me, or simply held her line???

Both pulled in, & she was very icily told what I thought
I offered both drivers my details, but did tell her that I'd state (if contacted) that I considered her driving to fall far short of a 'reasonable & competent ability'
I will admit she appeared very shook up, & hopefully learned a very valuble lesson
I received no insurance forms, so no idea what they arranged amongst themselves

Thankfully, she was in a small car (Toyota Aygo??) but he was in a Mondeo

Where
The camera car give a slightly false image here, as the scanner is roof-mounted
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.702587,-1.464743,245.48h,-10.4p,1z

From a normal (car) drivers perspective, it's a blind-crest in either direction, but from the view shown it's even worse;
slight r/h bend
partial stone-wall to the right
bushes/branches to the right

There's no photo of on Geograph, so this is the best, looking in the opposite direction (for location purposes)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/451689

And, it's almost as bad a location, heading back towards the bridge

Granted, some may still try it, but hopefully it'll make some think before attempting?

Email from Council stating
Thank you for contacting Wakefield Council.

Your request has been sent to our Traffic team and this will be dealt with no later than 2nd January 2020..

Your report reference number is XXXXX. This allows us to access your report history more efficiently. Please quote this number in any further correspondence with Wakefield Council regarding this matter.

Wakefield Council can be contacted using any of the following methods 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year:

C R

Guru
A bit chilly this morning, below freezing according to Garmin, but just above freezing according to my garden thermometer. Anyhow, my silk glove liners work wonders, and my fingers were still warm by the time I got to work.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On last nights commute. Came across a cycle/car accident on the A21. One of those crappy prious electric cars had shot across a junction and wiped out a cyclist. I got there just as the cyclist was picking himself up off the floor.
I made sure the cyclist was ok, luckily he apparently turned just in time taking a glancing sideways hit. I picked his bike up took it to the side of the road and gave it a quick once over. It seemed there was no damage.
The driver, a cabbie also seemed to be in a state of shock. More so then the cyclist to be fair.
I asked him if it was his fault and he admitted that he was as he wasn't paying attention and didn't see the cyclist. Classic SMIDSY.
At this time another chap appeared saying he witnessed the collision. I grabbed the taxi driver and asked him to repeat to to the witness and cyclist what he said to me. The cabbie said again that he was at fault.
I then spoke to the cyclist (who funnily enough said he see's me on the commute a lot, but I didn't recognise him) told him to photo the cars registration and the cabbies TFL badge. I also got the cabbies phone number and got the cyclist to call it to make sure it was what the cabbie said. I then asked if the cyclist had insurance, of which he said no. I said check if he was covered on his house insurance. If not, and there's damage to his bike or himself, then get in touch with CyclingUK or The LCC.
He did ask if I was a cop with all I was saying and doing. I said, no, just that it was a cop knocking me off my bike that I learned the hard way.
I told him to get himself to A&E as soon as possible. I could see he was running on Adrenalin, which would soon wear off. He promised he would.

Y'all be careful out there folks.

Top Bottom