Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got drafted by a wide tyred e bike this morning which was surprisingly noisy. I kept on thinking that it was a bus running along side and slowing down for the 'bus' to trigger the traffic lights. After 3 or 4 miles I took it up to 16-17mph and he started to finally drop back. To lose him for good I stepped it up again to 18-19mph.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Found my Sealskinz Gauntlets! Hooray. Cosy hands.

Unfortunately, i don't have thermal bib longs so... uh... cold goolies.

Win some, lose some i guess.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to say, Black Cabbies are up their with School run mums, young lads and Flat Bed Lorry drivers as some of the worst drivers on the road.
Professional drivers? My arse.

Black cabbie last night decided to undertake traffic on a 2 lane highway. I was in the right hand lane as I could see the left hand lane was blocked by a bus and was gunning it at about 20mph+. Cabbie undertook then realised there was a bus in his lane, so he tried to cut back in and force me back. I wasn't having any of it. He shouted at me "What the f*** are you doing?", My reply, "going faster then you dick head". I didn't let him pass until I thought it was safe to do so. He didn't like that so treated me to a punishment pass.

And then this morning another black cabbie decided to stop at the kerb without indicating, causing myself and another cyclist to swerve to avoid banging into him. Knobcheese.. really.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got drafted by a wide tyred e bike this morning which was surprisingly noisy. I kept on thinking that it was a bus running along side and slowing down for the 'bus' to trigger the traffic lights. After 3 or 4 miles I took it up to 16-17mph and he started to finally drop back. To lose him for good I stepped it up again to 18-19mph.
View attachment 492847

View attachment 492848

View attachment 492849

View attachment 492850
Great pictures... I can imagine you thinking "Good-byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It had been sleeting for a couple of hours before I left home, but the ground was wet & temps about +2 so no ice. Only did 5 miles in. I prepared to move out around a parked car, but the Vauxhall driver approaching behind me put his foot down & barged his way through.

jann71

Veteran
A teeenager on the way to school this morning looked at me and walked out in front of me, they didn't look the other way at oncoming car as I yelled look where your going!

2nd idiot of the day was a woman who hadn't finished defrosting her car properly and couldn't see out of her passenger window. Luckily I stopped first.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Lovely old dear grinning away, sucking her teeth as she pulled out onto the main road completely unable to see through her misted-up windscreen today.
Jolly japes ! :wacko:

Sixmile

Veteran
Frosty enough start this morning. Fortunately, late last night I put the car in the garage or else I wouldn't have got the Seasucker onto the roof this morning due to the frost. I decided against my standard Boardman commuter and went for the Fat Bike for extra grip. Turns out the roads weren't too bad and I was around 5 minutes slower into work but sure, it was fun.

Mike_P

Guru
Lidl ski gloves on today and nice and cosy. Probably could have done with overshoes on this evening but I usually only have the necessary fight with them when it's raining. Please someone design overshoes that slip on simply in a a second or two. Front wheel and rebuilt front mudguard where not a happy couple with a near constant noise being emitted but at least it meant less use of the bell.

Nice tail wind in this morning and it'd dropped 5mph by tonight :becool: Met a bit of a numpty on the commute tonight though. I paused for two seconds at one of the road crossings. As I was about to pedal he came dashing through determined that he'd get through the barrier at the other side of the road before me. If I'd pushed one half pedal revolution I would have had us both off. The path the otherside of the barrier is circa 4m wide. I hope he doesn't but if he carries on that way he'll soon be a statistic :sad:
It supposed to be just below freezing tomorrow and whilst Im sure they grit the busway cyclepath and commuted in colder last year, and far lower temperatures in the past, I'm not sure my regrowing fingertip nerves will take it :sad:

Top Bottom