Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before I started I lifted the bike out of the car and though the front wheel was suddenly wobbly, turned out the through axle had nearly completely unscrewed itself, strange I did not notice it yesterday, I remember the brake being a bit noisy but that was it, I thought it was dirt in the pad.

This morning was a real slog into a 15mph+ headwind and I was mentally finding it hard to maintain 15mph. Then a un-restricted e-bike ( home built bike massive rear hub motor) went past at over 20mph and a young bloke I know who is more than a little competitive was after it. I decided to give it a bash and went after them and locked onto the young guys rear wheel. The e-bike was getting away and we were doing a good 20mph. After a mile I thought it only fair I took over and on the Newham mile “straight” pulled him along at a steady 20mph which dam near wiped me out with the headwind and my 35mm CX tyres. The e-bike was out of sight by the end of the straight.
Then the youngster took over for half a mile and we were into traffic at Canning town. He went straight down the A13 itself, he made the mistake of trying to undertake traffic in the slow lane which some cars did not like and blocked him. I drafted a lorry in the middle lane and got 100yds ahead by the flyover.
He then reappeared on my tail after Canning Town and then overtook and he was determined to shake me off. His riding became downright dangerous, after he nearly put himself under the wheels of 2 cars crossing a road with packed moving traffic I decided this was now silly and let him go.

ukoldschool

Dear commuters cycling into London/City north on the CS7 via Elephant and castle.
Yes, I know your job is very busy and very important, and your carbon fibre racing bicycle is very fast, but please stay on the left hand side of a 2 lane cycleway when approaching other commuters. I know I'm on a Brompton and therefore inferior as I dont have any lycra on, but I shouldn't really have to swerve out of the way for you when you are cycling on the wrong side of the road to overtake all the other cyclists and get to your important city job an extra 30 seconds early.....
:cursing:

:okay:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Absolutely lashing down this morning and with added wind ! Put on my big coat and even my waterproof leggings just to be safe. Half way into my 12 mile run, everything calms down and I’m about to self combust because I am so warm :heat: Think I will resume shorts and light coat tomorrow

Bonus

Veteran
Coming home was hit by the mother off all storms. Thunder, lightening, hail and rain. Roads were absolutely chaotic with 50 per cent of them flooded. At one stage I was overtaking cars as they very cautiously maneuvered the rivers that had developed in the roads.

I've never pedaled under water before ( and I mean under water, the water level was well over my bottom bracket). It was really fun......

when you stripped off at home, did a fish or two jump out of your trousers - like in the old comics?

Zanelad

Guru
Got knocked off my bike today, by another cyclist! He came flying around a corner and straight into me. I was next to a railing and had nowhere to go. a quick look at the bike, it was dark though, showed a broken bar end and little else. I rode home and jumped in the car to go to work. A quick check over and the bike seems fine, but I'll have a more thorough check when I get home this afternoon.

Apparently it was my fault cos I was speeding. I countered with the fact that I had slowed down due to the crossing lights being against me and that it was him who was going to fast to react.

He rotorted that I was on an electric bike and therefore must have been speeding. I called him a **** and he rode off.

C'est la vie.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Absototally baltic this morning (-1c) couldn't find my 'good gloves' (SealSkinz Gauntlets) so had to put on my Aldi specials from aeons ago. Decent, but not the same.

Last night was a corker - 1 hit and run, 1 close-pass-hit-and-run, 1 attempted murder on a circle. Because i can't be arsed editing all three videos, here's the first one (SWEARS!):

Low impact idiot clips me and sends my bike down. We're both totally fine, if miffed that the tit just drove away.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Absototally baltic this morning (-1c) couldn't find my 'good gloves' (SealSkinz Gauntlets) so had to put on my Aldi specials from aeons ago. Decent, but not the same.

Last night was a corker - 1 hit and run, 1 close-pass-hit-and-run, 1 attempted murder on a circle. Because i can't be arsed editing all three videos, here's the first one (SWEARS!):

Low impact idiot clips me and sends my bike down. We're both totally fine, if miffed that the tit just drove away.

Glad you were OK. Stupid driver !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I reported a phone abusing driver in early September, I had excellent footage of her rolling along engrossed in her phone.

Today, she passed me closer than any other driver as I rode down the A38 at Almondsbury, so I have reported her for that as well. It would help if the police could tell me the outcome but I doubt they will bother.

At least she fixed her brake light. This is the video of her on the phone.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I reported a phone abusing driver in early September, I had excellent footage of her rolling along engrossed in her phone.

Today, she passed me closer than any other driver as I rode down the A38 at Almondsbury, so I have reported her for that as well. It would help if the police could tell me the outcome but I doubt they will bother.

At least she fixed her brake light. This is the video of her on the phone.

Idiots persist... Accidents happen.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Indeed i was coming home after nights about 5.30 am riding through a lane in the dark that was still flooded in the cold , tired an thinking wtf am i doing

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
They say bad luck comes in threes and it turns out so do morons. My journeys home have always been uneventful until today and no doubt because I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. On the way home I am approaching a middle aged woman from behind on a dual cycling and pedestrian walk way and I give a little ting on the bell and good dab of the brakes as I approach from behind. To which she turns around stopping right in front of me and says "You should not be on the footpath. You should be on the road". "This path is for both of us" comes my response as I now slowly pass after curving around her. Further incomprehensible ramblings from the old bat follows to which I calmly but bluntly retort "Look if you walk back or forwards thirty odd metres there are signs indicating as such. Try reading them". She then starts really yelling. I restrain myself from telling her where she could shove her opinion and continue on my way.

A couple of miles later I am cycling along a road and have reach the end. I wait as a car is approaching from main the road accoss and it starts to indicate right into the road where I am stationary. It starts to turn in and then comes to a halt right where I would be going. Young lady at the wheel just sits there looking vaguely in the direction of the road she should be driving into. I stand there waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Eventually she looks at me and I give her the gentle shrug of the shoulders and upward palms gesture to show that im not aware of her intentions. She stares vacantly at me for a while longer then proceeds to turn into the road and stop again. I am none the wiser but my path is now clear as I exit right and carry on my way. As I turn around out of curiosity I see her having now completed a U turn. How I was supposed to know that was her intention god only knows.

About 500 metres later and I am ready to turn left. Arm comes out to indicate and I notice a pedestrian walking towards the road junction I am going to turn into. Dont you just know when they are not going to look? Dont you just know? Face down looking at her phone with earphones in and I know whats coming. Well sod you. I have dealt with my fair share of feckwits today as I turn in and arc my bike in front of her giving her just enough spare metres not to walk into me. As forgiving as I usually am, I do have my breaking point.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
They say bad luck comes in threes and it turns out so do morons. My journeys home have always been uneventful until today and no doubt because I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. On the way home I am approaching a middle aged woman from behind on a dual cycling and pedestrian walk way and I give a little ting on the bell and good dab of the brakes as I approach from behind. To which she turns around stopping right in front of me and says "You should not be on the footpath. You should be on the road". "This path is for both of us" comes my response as I now slowly pass after curving around her. Further incomprehensible ramblings from the old bat follows to which I calmly but bluntly retort "Look if you walk back or forwards thirty odd metres there are signs indicating as such. Try reading them". She then starts really yelling. I restrain myself from telling her where she could shove her opinion and continue on my way.

A couple of miles later I am cycling along a road and have reach the end. I wait as a car is approaching from main the road accoss and it starts to indicate right into the road where I am stationary. It starts to turn in and then comes to a halt right where I would be going. Young lady at the wheel just sits there looking vaguely in the direction of the road she should be driving into. I stand there waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Eventually she looks at me and I give her the gentle shrug of the shoulders and upward palms gesture to show that im not aware of her intentions. She stares vacantly at me for a while longer then proceeds to turn into the road and stop again. I am none the wiser but my path is now clear as I exit right and carry on my way. As I turn around out of curiosity I see her having now completed a U turn. How I was supposed to know that was her intention god only knows.

About 500 metres later and I am ready to turn left. Arm comes out to indicate and I notice a pedestrian walking towards the road junction I am going to turn into. Dont you just know when they are not going to look? Dont you just know? Face down looking at her phone with earphones in and I know whats coming. Well sod you. I have dealt with my fair share of feckwits today as I turn in and arc my bike in front of her giving her just enough spare metres not to walk into me. As forgiving as I usually am, I do have my breaking point.
Glad you survived all that, but you do know you're meant to give way to pedestrians crossing side roads before you turn in? Or have I misunderstood the last situation? It's very annoying when the phone zombies don't look out. I nearly walloped one who shot across a zebra crossing with no sign he was going to cross. I was covering the brakes and stopped in time, thankfully.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Yes in such instance I would have zipped in behind and thats all fine. But in this case she was not crossing when I turned in but I read the situation ahead and took a line giving her space for when she invariably stepped out. Kind of hard to explain but her first step into the road would have been when I was most of the way through my turn.

Hopefully this semi close call might make her see sense. If I was a silent electric car that was not paying attention she could have easily ended up in hospital.

Top Bottom