Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The best thing about the commutes this week has been the sunrises over the North Sea and the sunsets over the fields on the way home.

Have emailed local Council, to enquire what the protocol/parameters are to request having a section of road re-lined to 2 solid whites

If anyone knows the area
Ferry Lane
Stanley
The section between the road-bridge, over the River Calder, over the old 'level crossing', to the (closed/converted to house) Ship Inn

Why?
Read on

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a 'day-turn', so heading along the road (towards) Wakefield, circa 08:15 - 08:30
Every day I had someone attempt to overtake at that point, thankfully my positioning & (arm) gestured "GET BACK!", worked

Although a while ago, one driver did force the issue
What was annoying, was that she'd followed me over the river bridge, with 100yards to overtake
Then, decided to overtake on the crest:cursing:
As she came alongside, there was an oncoming car
I was already braking, believing it was going to hurt

With a loud bang, they clipped mirrors, as she'd either braked & tried to get behind me, or simply held her line???

Both pulled in, & she was very icily told what I thought
I offered both drivers my details, but did tell her that I'd state (if contacted) that I considered her driving to fall far short of a 'reasonable & competent ability'
I will admit she appeared very shook up, & hopefully learned a very valuble lesson
I received no insurance forms, so no idea what they arranged amongst themselves

Thankfully, she was in a small car (Toyota Aygo??) but he was in a Mondeo

Where
The camera car give a slightly false image here, as the scanner is roof-mounted
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.702587,-1.464743,245.48h,-10.4p,1z

From a normal (car) drivers perspective, it's a blind-crest in either direction, but from the view shown it's even worse;
slight r/h bend
partial stone-wall to the right
bushes/branches to the right

There's no photo of on Geograph, so this is the best, looking in the opposite direction (for location purposes)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/451689

And, it's almost as bad a location, heading back towards the bridge

Granted, some may still try it, but hopefully it'll make some think before attempting?

Utter retard, in yes...… B*W X5 overtook at that point at dinnertime
Completely the wrong side of the lines... blind crest

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Attacked by a crow outside Asda:blush::

DSC_0000013.jpg

Totally un-afraid of humans, it initially perched on my saddle but luckily didn't poop on it!. Then started pecking at my bag.

KneesUp

Guru
My new 3 times a week commute is 1.02 miles according to Strava (every little helps, yeah?) - this morning I didn't get any luck with the 3 sets of traffic lights so it took me a whole 4 minutes and 30 seconds. In that time and distance I had to avoid two cars whose drivers apparently hadn't seen me, one of them twice.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Attacked by a crow outside Asda:blush::

Totally un-afraid of humans, it initially perched on my saddle but luckily didn't poop on it!. Then started pecking at my bag.

I am informed that his name is Toby and he was raised as a chick in a nearby pub. Unafraid of humans, he'll quite happily eat out of your hand:smile:. Never seen a tame crow, funny when he started pecking my bag tassles!.

I rode home last night, after a 22:30 finish, to find SWMBO still awake, & slightly 'Rabbit Eyed', wanting to tell me about how windy it had been for her 16:00 commute home, & how it kept pushing her laterally

Once more, my dear, welcome to my world:whistle:

The rain was persistent and soaking this morning though not too cold, then Mr Ultra-competitive went past ( the guy who had on 2 previous occasions shot across a road into moving traffic to lose me) and I made a semi- attempt to stay with him, he shot through a red light at a crossroads and very, very nearly became a bonnet ornament.
I think the shock slowed him down for a while and went the lights went green I caught him up and chided him about his risk taking and where did he want to spend xmas, the hospital?. All good natured and he agreed he had been a twat, then we changed the subject and talked tyres . His shock subsided and he put the hammer down, I let him go as I think he's probably not learnt his lesson and won't till he actually gets hit and I don't want to be a witness.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A mixed old bag of a commute this morning.
Also had rain and also not that cold, which was a godsend really. Nothing worse then cold rain. But.. it did stop raining a few minutes after leaving home, just had to deal with the very wet and mucky roads.
On the A21 there's a huge amount of works going on at a junction which has blocked traffic in all directions so took a while to get through that. 2 miles from work I noticed I had a slow puncture on the front. I couldn't be arsed to stop and sort it so took in a little easier and rolled onwards hoping it would stay inflated enough to get me to work. Approaching work a police van was blocking the road. The copper said there was no way through and I had to go round. I could see a couple of SOCO's in all the gear so something very major had obviously recently happened. @deptfordmarmoset
Managed to nurse the puncture to work. Found the culprit in the tyre, shared of glass. Managed to patch the inner without taking the whole inner out.

C R

Guru
Warmer this morning, but rather windy. On the plus side, they have finally reopened a bit of cycle path that has been closed for a couple of months. On the minus side, the bit of path is covered in mud and chunks of rubble.

On the more positive side, the new cycle bridge might be opening soon, and I will be able to stop using the bit of rat run where everyone tries to kill me every evening.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A mixed old bag of a commute this morning.
Also had rain and also not that cold, which was a godsend really. Nothing worse then cold rain. But.. it did stop raining a few minutes after leaving home, just had to deal with the very wet and mucky roads.
On the A21 there's a huge amount of works going on at a junction which has blocked traffic in all directions so took a while to get through that. 2 miles from work I noticed I had a slow puncture on the front. I couldn't be arsed to stop and sort it so took in a little easier and rolled onwards hoping it would stay inflated enough to get me to work. Approaching work a police van was blocking the road. The copper said there was no way through and I had to go round. I could see a couple of SOCO's in all the gear so something very major had obviously recently happened. @deptfordmarmoset
Managed to nurse the puncture to work. Found the culprit in the tyre, shared of glass. Managed to patch the inner without taking the whole inner out.
I'm not sure where you were, not that I know anything about the incident.

Top Bottom