Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thankfully no commute today, it was our office Christmas Party so I took today off. It had been a right changeable period in the last month, minus temps one day +10deg the next; changing winds; wet then dry, then wet, etc. Monday for instance was s dry 19.2mph near freewheel down the busway, Tuesday was a 15.1mph crawl with more effort and the night turned wet again. Yesterday was crisp and clear and icy and today (thankfully I am not out there) is miserably wet again :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looking out of the office window, it's looking absolutely dreadful and grim out there. Another not so nice commute home this evening.

Haven't totted up the rain scores recently but I can tell you that this year is the rainiest since I started looking.

Wet and a nasty headwind ride in.
The headwind had me in the doldrums and my mind was whining like a spoilt child barely making 15mph. Then Mr Ultra fast TT’er went past. I switched to “catch that Pidgeon” mode AKA Dick Dastardly and went after him.
I had to make a 500 watt effort to get onto his rear wheel. I was pushing over 200 Watts just to stay there and he was at around 20mph everywhere, he must have been doing avg 300watts.
I actually led Up Canning Town flyover, I hit 930 watts on the sprint from the lights , 450 avg for the climb and he still sailed past me at the top, Yesterday I lasted 1.5 miles with him, today 4.5. I only lasted as I was continually saved by red traffic lights giving me a breather. We chatted at the lights but every time they went green it was back to it with a vengeance, my lungs gave out before my legs ( being a smoker for nearly 30 years probably to blame, gave up 7 years ago but the damage is done) so I eventually let him go.
Hoping for the same wind on the way home!

@Heigue'r , he just goes fast all of the time,everywhere, suprisingly he does not appear that high on Strava leaderboards as he never makes a individual big effort. Also Mr Ultra Competitive Cyclist I have mentioned before has a similair style in that he just sits and knocks the power out, apart from that hes not on Strava and does not stop for any lights and is a bit high on the danger to himself side. Mr fast TT'r rides like a gent.

Mike_P

Guru
After double chicken again yesterday and working at home this morning's commute was strange, motorists not making any attempt to overtake in those places you wish they would not but normally do. Strava oddity for the return, no segments despite being exactly the same route with segments used virtually very commute.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Back on the bike this morning after a month off; a week on a business trip followed by a nasty virus which left me prostrate then knackered and phlegm ridden for three weeks.

I think that's my longest period without riding for a decade!

The 10 dark cold miles this morning felt like wading through treacle with a severe hangover. But still good to be back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I woke up to the rain beating against the windows this morning. Luckily the rain stopped by the time I left for work.
Plenty of standing water on the roads still made for a wet and mucky commute.
I left a little bit earlier then usual today and it really makes a change when it comes to lack of school run traffic.

It felt quite warm this morning so just the 2 layers.
Ok ride in nowt to report on that.
However when entering the garages at work a guy jumped off a kerb and pinch flatted his rear wheel and continued on his rim. I pointed it out to him and instead of jumping off to check it he carried on to the racks and chucked his bike in a rack and strode off. I wondered if he had been too embarrassed to check the damage or just a bit thick.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Swerved the bike this morning, not been on it much last three weeks due to personal stuff at home, however got the start of a chesty cough thing which is never good news !

Top Bottom