Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
First commute using the new pedestrian/cycle bridge over the southern link road this morning. Nice being able to avoid the rat run road, but the access ramp to the path below is not finished yet, so I add about a mile to my commute going this way. Foggy and cold, but dry.

This evening, on the other hand, must have been the wettest commute ever.

Mike_P

Guru
Ebike was plainly not happy with me for letting the battery run flat and then not using it until today as it immediately threw it's chain off the chain wheel. Also had the annoying non active display, think it must be a damp issue, but at least the motor kicks in when appropriate.

Mike_P

Guru
Display woke up for the return commute but as well as the vertical rain it was pitch black to the extent I had difficulty seeing the ebikes control buttons, now is that the more power or less power one I thought at the foot of the main climb, flip got that wrong as power assist when to off rather than the hoped for maximum:sad:

Randombiker9

Report him - actions should have consequences !
Sometimes I like to give drivers a chance everyone makes mistakes sometimes at least it’s never gotten physical luckily. I don’t really see the point of reporting when it’s just a close call. Even though I known you shouldn’t make someone feel unsafe ( Although recently I read an article about an cyclist near town getting hit with a hammer) another thing is I’m also going on holiday soon. The last thing I want to do is deal with police.
(If things ever got threatening or physical etc...then I would report)

That day I also had a close call with a bus and I don’t like reporting buses unless I had too because i would feel guilty if I made the bus driver loose his job
And come on it’s nearly Christmas. If I’d report him the police might question on him on Christmas and no one wants that.
I’ll let them off because it’s Nearly Christmas and I don’t want to ruin their Christmas as that would be unfair for his family if he has one lol 😂

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Gloves, cap & buff in the dryer again - pi55ing it down first thing. Glad I invested in good waterproof jacket, trousers & boots.
This, yet again!

Only five more shifts to go but the recent weather, while not as bad as in other areas of the country, has severely tested my resolve to go the whole year without using the car for the commute..

A wet commute in, loads of standing water everywhere. A couple of places water over the BB and both feet got well and truly soaked. at the end of my commute I got chatting to a middle aged lady cyclist wearing waterproof trousers and wellies . I congratulated her on her choice of attire. She informed me that the manufacturers of the trousers should be done under the trades description act as they were defo not waterproof . I thought I was doing well being now in my 15th year of commuting,( but several accidents) she had been at it for 20 years no accidents! I must be doing something wrong.
Kit now strewn around my office drying from 2 coat stands positioned under the air con units.

Mike_P

Guru
Surprisingly dry commutes today so sympathies with Jenkins and HarryTheDog and everyone else getting rained on.

Last edited:
I thought I was doing well being now in my 15th year of commuting,( but several accidents) she had been at it for 20 years no accidents! I must be doing something wrong.
The best part of 30 years here,

Never had a RTC, with a moving vehicle, only one with (as it turned out) an abandoned.. .'No Registered Keeper' car (crime 'pool car'?)
Was dazzled by oncoming traffic, 1997 so lights weren't what they are now, saw it too late
Hit rear, went through glass
Had to walk home:cursing:

Of course, I've had the odd 'off', due to ice, or diesel (but not for about 4 years)

There!!!, that's me having 'poked Fate, with a big-stick' now:laugh:
(& I'm riding to work soon too!!)

Last edited:

Randombiker9

The best part of 30 years here,

Never had a RTC, with a moving vehicle, only one iwith (as it turned out) an abandoned.. .'No Registered Keeper' car (crime 'pool car'?)
Was dazzled by oncoming traffic, 1997 so lights weren't what they are now, saw it too late
Hit rear, went through glass
Had to walk home:cursing:

Of course, I've had the odd 'off', due to ice, or diesel (but not for about 4 years)

Lol I’ve only been riding for 2 years and got hit back in 1st of June due to car reversing into me. Luckily I was fine. Just after a car park. I stupidly forgot to ask for details that day so he got away as my bike camera was dead and also I had to pay for the damage to my bike luckily it only closted £15 but if it was more well dumb driver 👅
Since then I’ve had no accidents apart from close calls.

Ha!!

I was just leaving the grounds, & on the roundabout on Bar Lane, to head towards Aberford Road
When a car, left Ouchthorpe Lane, & was basically aiming for my side, & was well over the white line before stopping

All I got for my yelling (as she had a window partially down) was 'two fingers'.... Witch!!:cursing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought the traffic would be a bit lighter for this mornings commute. No such luck. The SE London wastelands were still chokka with metal boxes going nowhere.
Saving grace was that it's not raining and was a lovely morning for a bike ride.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Out of bed, dressed & straight on the bike for an extended ride in today, I managed 24 miles up the road from Iron Acton to Tortworth, down round Damery then back down the A38 to Alveston where I diverted to Tockington & Lower Almondsbury.

Just before setting out, I was surprised by an out-of-control Doberman dog which burst from the hedge opposite my home. It was chasing a fox and ran across various private gardens before coming back to my garden. There appeared to be nobody in the vicinity in charge of the dog who I could speak to. Getting confronted by such a dog in the dark early hours in my own garden was interesting !

Top Bottom