Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doug

Veteran
I tried a new route this morning, one I had found whilst perusing Strava segments.
Unfortunately, after about 2km I was confronted by a large sign stating "Private Road No Public Right of Way", so turned around in a huff and carried on the usual route.
Can only assume the Strava riders just ignored the the very large sign, naughty, naughty.

Check on an OS map - it might not be a right of way for motor vehicles, but it could still be a bridleway and hence open to cycling.

Pauluk

akb said:
Unfortunately the commuter doesn't have QR levers for the wheels and I had left my spanner at home. D'oh!
We've all forgotten similar things. I went to repair a puncture once, 8 miles from nowhere. Got all the kit out, was about to take the wheel off, D'oh - left my pump in the car boot. Long walk back :sad:

HovR

Über Member
I tried a new route this morning, one I had found whilst perusing Strava segments.
Unfortunately, after about 2km I was confronted by a large sign stating "Private Road No Public Right of Way", so turned around in a huff and carried on the usual route.
Can only assume the Strava riders just ignored the the very large sign, naughty, naughty.

There's a sign like that in my area.

It's a narrow road going about half way up a local hill to a small gathering of 5 or 6 houses, where it dead-ends shortly after. The locals, fed up with people driving up the hill, parking their cars, and leaving them as they go off for a walk, put up numerous "No Entry" and "Private Road" signs.

On all the maps it's a public right of way. Check the maps for your area, and it might be the same.

Edit.. Cross posted with you - Good to hear that it is in fact a bridle way.

beastie

Guru
Biblical rain this afternoon, glorious sun this evening.

8/8
10/12
Above are ratios of wet weather commutes. It's a good job I am used to it.

BSRU

A Human Being

It's a narrow road going about half way up a local hill to a small gathering of 5 or 6 houses, where it dead-ends shortly after. The locals, fed up with people driving up the hill, parking their cars, and leaving them as they go off for a walk, put up numerous "No Entry" and "Private Road" signs.

On all the maps it's a public right of way. Check the maps for your area, and it might be the same.

Teach me to use Google maps instead of the OS maps:blush: .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it this one??

http://www.foska.com/i-pay-road-tax-road-cycling-jersey.html

Quality jersey- when does yours expire? Will you need to purchase a new one every six or twelve months?

See its on sale as its about to run out

400bhp

Guru

Here's what they should do. Get some humongous boulders and put them at the side of the road. It sopts people parking.

I saw my first 'bent out in the wild. Obviously I've seen them before but this was the first time it belonged to someone I didn't know. Strange design too, very long wheelbase with what looked like a normal headtube over the front wheel, steered from underseat but the front wheel was a long way from the rider.

That sounds like a good description of my Linear. USS (Under Seat Steering), long wheelbase is a configuration generally more popular in the US than Europe. It's not strange at all. All you people who insist on cycling on all fours, now that is strange! :laugh:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
That sounds like a good description of my Linear. USS (Under Seat Steering), long wheelbase is a configuration generally more popular in the US than Europe. It's not strange at all. All you people who insist on cycling on all fours, now that is strange! :laugh:
Ooh post a pic and I'll let you know

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If it was the MTB with the QR wheel, i would have done. Unfortunatley the commuter doesnt have QR levers for the wheels and I had left my spanner at home. D'oh!
I carry some scabs and a co2 pump and don't have QR. Not sure if I'd attempt to change it on the way to work - I'd probably take the brakes off and continue to ride, then use the resulting damaged wheel as an excuse to buy a nice bike

Top Bottom