Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bloody hell where did this headwind come from?
Legs feel like they have done a 100 miler this evening.

Likewise. Hottest day of the b****ing year yesterday, and the headwind on the way home was A JOKE.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, I had a very close call this morning.
Near sh!t the life out of me.
Travelling down a back street cars parked either side so only room for cars in one direction etc.
2 on coming cars, I pull to the left, first car goes by, suddenly parked car on left in front of me tries to pull out of his parking spot. No indicating... nothing. How I got between his nearside and the oncoming car I don't know. Couldn't be arsed to stop as I was so angry I would have probably lamped the driver in a fit of rage.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had a muppet today at Well Hall Roundabout. I was coming on to the roundabout behind a black VW Polo from Rochester Way. A car joined from Well Hall Road heading north (the next entrance to the roundabout to my left). The driver had obviously misjudged the speed of the Polo but all the Polo had to do was slow a little, let the car go on its way, no harm done. One of those simple mistakes where you might have waved to show a little indignation but nothing worth a row.

Not the driver of the Polo though. Beeping the horn, blocked the other car against the outside edge of the roundabout and carried on beeping. Then stalled. I muttered a few choice words and overtook to take the next left but the Polo started their engine and came down my inside (left). I was not a happy bunny and the driver got the full on torrent of abuse.

I noticed that on the way down the South Circular she was happily playing with her phone, I'm not sure if she'd been doing this on the approach to the roundabout but may explain the stall if she couldn't change gear.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
cracking commute this morning. Nice weather. No wind.
Had a great bout of SCR with a chap on a fat tyred MTB. Boy could he shift. Really quick. I managed to keep in front of him but had to work for it. If he was on a road bike he would have kicked my arse no doubt. So one of the quickest times for a morning commute for me this year.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I noticed a curious thing on my commute this morning. It would appear that even for cars, RLJing is now the norm. So much so that I don't hear the beeps when the car at the front hasn't moved within a split second of the light going green. I assume this is because everyone is still expecting the last car from the other queue to clear the junction have jumped the red light.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I overtook an electric bike today, managing to keep at least 2mph over its 15mph top speed and managed to keep a few hundred yards ahead over a mile of undulating A-road to where I tun off for my work. I rarely meet other cyclists on my commute as I come in and leave at abnormal hours outside of the normal commuting times.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Why do cyclists in front just suddenly stop pedaling when there isn't really a reason not to?
Really have to watch it on the fixie.Boy racer crossed from the other side of the road at Bethnal Green,have to look at that one on the camera,stopped about ten yards short of me,guess he was in a hurry,had a go but he didn't look at me.Apart from that not too bad.Van driver on Tower Bridge this morning seemed to be driving like he was p1553d.Couldn't seem to steer the thing straight,he should get a job as a cab driver.:wacko:

Stratford,the odd close pass which is normal for there.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Why do cyclists in front just suddenly stop pedaling when there isn't really a reason not to?
Really have to watch it on the fixie.Boy racer crossed from the other side of the road at Bethnal Green,have to look at that one on the camera,stopped about ten yards short of me,guess he was in a hurry,had a go but he didn't look at me.Apart from that not too bad.Van driver on Tower Bridge this morning seemed to be driving like he was p1553d.Couldn't seem to steer the thing straight,he should get a job as a cab driver.:wacko:

Stratford,the odd close pass which is normal for there.
I don't understand. If I'm in front of you I have to keep pedalling whether I want to or not?

BSRU

A Human Being
Lovely ride in the countryside this morning, fortunately at the moment the rain is just skirting past the north of Swindon.
Within seconds of crossing from the countryside into town some idiot decided on a "must overtake cyclist" manoeuvre in order to join the queue of stopped traffic I was slowing down for. Their prize for such stupidity is a video on the interweb showing their selfish idiocy.

zigzag

Veteran
hit a reckless pedestrian today.. almost stationary traffic my direction, stationary opposite direction (king william st, london). i'm going on the outside of very slowly moving single file traffic at about 15kph, quite a few pedestrians look and wait for their chance to cross the street (no pedestrian crossing there). one chap, rainhood on, headphones in, decides to walk across right in front of me without looking at all. hit his head with my left shoulder, then bounced into a stationary van standing in the opposite lane and onto the ground. no real damage to me or the bike; pedestrian got minor head concussion, but apologised, we shook hands and parted.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
hit a reckless pedestrian today.. almost stationary traffic my direction, stationary opposite direction (king william st, london). i'm going on the outside of very slowly moving single file traffic at about 15kph, quite a few pedestrians look and wait for their chance to cross the street (no pedestrian crossing there). one chap, rainhood on, headphones in, decides to walk across right in front of me without looking at all. hit his head with my left shoulder, then bounced into a stationary van standing in the opposite lane and onto the ground. no real damage to me or the bike; pedestrian got minor head concussion, but apologised, we shook hands and parted.
Glad you're ok Rimas. They can be a bit of a menace.
Personally I hate wearing a hood as a ped cos I find I can't hear or see things as well.

Top Bottom