Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is it always so bloody windy?

Nasty crosswinds last night and I suspect the same this evening. There are a couple of apartment blocks on one part of my route which I am starting to develop a phobia of because they funnel the wind really violently and unpredictably.

C R

Guru
Why is it always so bloody windy?

Nasty crosswinds last night and I suspect the same this evening. There are a couple of apartment blocks on one part of my route which I am starting to develop a phobia of because they funnel the wind really violently and unpredictably.
Quite. The wind is really getting tiresome now.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Last cycle commute for the foreseeable as working from home imposed from Monday.

Was planning a gentle dawdle in, but met up with a workmate who seems to regard cycling, whether solo or in a group, as a form of unarmed combat, so chased him while he wrestled with his machine and arrived rather overheated.

Thinking about starting a "Cycle to work at home" group or somesuch. I'll go batshit crazy in about two days without the regular exercise.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Back on the bike for a commute today- first time in over 2 months. Have really missed it.
SLightly shocked that just 6 miles has made be a bit sore "below". Mind you, I was wearing jeans.

However, work boots and SPD pedals weren't nearly as bad as I feared.

Brooks

Travelled from Bexleyheath to Ilford via the woolwich Ferry only the ferry wasn't running this morning due to strike action, not to worry I'll use the foot tunnel instead. That was flooded at its lowest point but I managed to get by with just wet feet.
On the way home the foot tunnel was shut so I had to go via the Greenwich foot tunnel. Funny enough I enjoyed the diversion as it was a lovely mild evening.

Last cycle commute for the foreseeable as working from home imposed from Monday.

Thinking about starting a "Cycle to work at home" group or somesuch. I'll go batshit crazy in about two days without the regular exercise.
Yeah same here, if I get banned from going in to the office I am definitely going to have to make up the miles, mostly for my sanity. But it is going to be hard to find motivation to ride when the weather is rubbish when I don't have a reason to get on the bike to go from A to B.

Luckily my workplace is not particularly well equiped for remote working. We have lots of contigency planning reserved office space in other buildings should our office burn down/flood etc. But that's completely useless if we are not allowed to be working in the same place!

They have very few work laptops or phones and seem to be about 20 years behind in terms of arrangements to work from home.

The managers were going round the office today personally asking employees if they have any underlying health conditions and it sounds like they might be told to work from home as early as next week.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just did my first bicycle commute from my new location. The old one was from the Melbourne suburb of Ringwood North, and was about 26.5km with 225m climbing, while the new, from Montmorency is 24.9km with 400m climbing. There's some major hills in the early part of my new ride to work, with grades of 10-15%, but overall the route is easy enough, particularly since I ride it between 5 and 6am when there's not much traffic.

Montmorency (named after an old farm, which itself was named after Montmorency just north of Paris) is nice, but aïe, c'est très vallonné!

Tom B

Guru
Popped into the shops today enroute to work.
Geez people have been loosing their heads around the shops, one bloke pulled out of a T juntion without even looking right. I could have been a double decker and he wouldnt have seen, some daft old biddy pulled a u-turn across me in the high street.

Anyway I was locking the bike up, to the only cycle rack in town when a kindly looking old couple (70s) dressed like they were crossing the Himalayas ambled over and then detoured around rack.
The owd codger turned back and said jovially enough

Him - "We've just come back from a holiday in Devon.."
Me - "ooooh I love Devon and Cornwall, its fantastic."
Him - "Bloody cyclists were a pissing nuisance there too getting in the way in all the narrow lanes"
He then walks off...
All I could do was catch him up and reply, "Well you wont have to worry about cyclists much longer, you'll soon be dead, was it your farewell holiday?" He didn't miss a beat but his Mrs face was a picture.

A little bit bitter and unkind, but it was all could manage after being wrong footed by his approach.

I've been tittering about it all day cheered me right up. I suppose they represent the babyboomer car-car-car generation, something we have to break.

Still on the other side I think spring has sprung. The number of kids I've seen on bikes today was heartening.

GetFatty

Über Member
Bit chilly this morning and quite a few cars who seem to think imminent sun rise means they don't have to put their lights on :wacko: Other than that a very pleasant commute into work

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The ride home was far hillier than I realised it would be. It was only 28.5km instead of the roughly 30 I expected, but instead of the expected 350m of climbing, it was about 460m, and like the ride to work, had some steep hills. So my round trip commute is about 53.5km with 860m climbing. I think my legs will take a while to get used to that.

Top Bottom