Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I cycled to work from home yesterday but this morning the work WhatsApp and emails were buzzing with various arrangements being made to cover everything, so I couldn't get away from the tech. I might get out for a ride after work hours instead, but I'm likely to be doing extra workload of more junior colleagues who don't have the same access to systems as I do. Hunker down & enjoy those rides where you can !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Beautiful at 5.30am for my 20km commute. No cars, no people. Lots of deer and a couple of foxes. Watching the sun come up was lovely. Still a bit chilly though. A month or so I will be stopping for breakfast and a swim on the sea.:smile:

Randombiker9

I went out for a hour cycle for my one form of excersize when I came downhill there were temporarily traffic lights so I stopped and then as soon as they turned green I continued downhill which was really bendy this driver decided pull up right on a bend saying I’m holding him/her up when I wasn’t. The downhill I was on is bendy and filled with potholes and also due to this virus the roads are quiet. You can’t not avoid braking on a bend. Anyway I didn’t say anything as I knew she or he pulled up by the bend was dangerous and would cause an accident if another driver was behind and also were not supposed to come in contact with anyone. So I just ignored her. Afterwards due to way she pulled up I nearly went into the curb after since her car.
why are people this stupid?

Looks like I am going to be included in the 20% of workers at my office who still get to work in the office and the roads are absolutely dead woop!

Looking forward to several blissful weeks of not having to filter past hundreds of stationary cars every morning/evening. Even got the summer bike out as well.

With a bit of luck this lockdown/schools closed thing will last for at least the rest of the Summer term and then it will be quiet-ish roads during the summer holidays by the time things start to return to normal.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We are working and still travelling.
Commuting...
We provide essential engineering support to the Rail companies ... and to the stand by power companies supporting NHS hospitals .....
We really did not appreciate how much support we were expected to provide until this morning ...
Rail Operators, major stand by power (GenSet) companies, where phoning the office to confirm we where in a position to support them.
We've split our teams up into cells to allow support to continue ... and to allow cells to retire if illness of a single member occurs ... Commercial testing kits, good hygiene, and common sense will keep our staff safe and allow us to give the support the NHS and the Rail Operators need to keep their worlds moving ...
What ever happens our staff will be paid their full salaries ... working or not ....... we are definitely not Weatherspoon's.
Theres only 19 of us !
Newcastle, Derby, Stoke, Doncaster, Bristol, Bournemouth .... every week ......

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I miss my bicycle commute. :sad:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Yeah. I find it harder to get out of bed for a lovely sunny ride on a route of my choosing now than I did through the winter for a cold, dark wet cycle on the same old roads.

Weird isn't it?

straas

Matt
Little tip for motivation:

Make a series of routes on ridewithgps of varying time lengths (20 mins - 2 hours) and load them onto your navigation device (if you have one)

Then you always have an option of a route whatever time you wake up.

Works for me anyway

Top Bottom