Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got out 45 mins earlier than usual to enjoy an extended 23 mile commute, northwards up the Old Gloucester Road corridor to Tortworth & Damery, then I just bashed on down the A38 back to Bradley Stoke.

It was very enjoyable, although next time I will remember to take a banana for something at the halfway point.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The morning rush hour traffic is now near back to pre Covid times. Chaos in Bromley and Deptford this morning.

I met my first one this morning too... A Covicyclist. He started chatting to me at a set of lights. He's only just started commuting by bike. Asked if the traffic was always this bad. I said usually yes. He then said he used to drive and until he cycled didn't realise the rush hour chaos was as bad from inside the comfort of a car, but on the bike it all becomes clear.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Send week of commuting by bike and here we go :-) Tried a different route this morning using a big chunk of main road i normally avoid, all going well until I mover out to turn right onto a cycle path and I felt it. Lucky it wasnt and instant flat so managed to get across the road to safety.

At least it was a sunny friday and not a rainy monday.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yay - a rare Strava PR on a mile-long segment down the A38 which I have ridden 699 times this morning - thank you modest tail-wind and aero bars!

Not aided by the Audi Q7 driver who was flashed out of a side road by the car behind me, and pulled out in front of me as though I wasn't there.

She didn't like my electronic bike horn much, and didn't have the grace to apologise when we arrived at the red light ahead. The horn did have the effect of keeping her over to the right, out of my way though. I don't think she realised cyclists do more than 10mph. I had the situation under control.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Quite misty/foggy here this morning. Too many idiots relying on the automatic setting for their headlights. Which don't switch on when there's enough daylight like today.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Quite misty/foggy here this morning. Too many idiots relying on the automatic setting for their headlights. Which don't switch on when there's enough daylight like today.
Same here, silver/dark cars hard to see through the mists. And the drivers who can't be bothered to clear side windows of dew are another hazard.

13 rider

Guru
On holidays last week . It's was proper dark this morning I suppose you don't really notice it getting darker day by day but after a week it was really noticeable

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My thoughtful wife suggested I might like to get up a little earlier & have a extended commute today as the forecast for the rest of the week is poor.

So I left about 6.35 and squeezed over 30 miles in up to the Severn Vale. Actually found the flat bits around Hill, Shepperdine & Oldbury on Severn a bit boring in the dull conditions, but I kept moving. The mists seem to linger longer down there.

Rewarded myself with a bacon egg & black pudding baguette when I got to work.

StickyPTFE

My thoughtful wife suggested I might like to get up a little earlier & have a extended commute today as the forecast for the rest of the week is poor.

So I left about 6.35 and squeezed over 30 miles in up to the Severn Vale. Actually found the flat bits around Hill, Shepperdine & Oldbury on Severn a bit boring in the dull conditions, but I kept moving. The mists seem to linger longer down there.

Rewarded myself with a bacon egg & black pudding baguette when I got to work.
View attachment 548519

View attachment 548520
I am pretty sure the only reason I ride to work is to reward myself with food when I get there!

rivers

How far can I go?
TT bike commute to work in the rain :-/. Car is on the fritz at the minute, so I'm taking the work van to the Castle Combe TT tonight. But that meant I had to commute on the TT bike, in the skinsuit, with the aero helmet and a backpack. Always a good look on the commute... Arrived at work with the bike covered in muck, quick clean and into the office I went.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
TT bike commute to work in the rain :-/. Car is on the fritz at the minute, so I'm taking the work van to the Castle Combe TT tonight. But that meant I had to commute on the TT bike, in the skinsuit, with the aero helmet and a backpack. Always a good look on the commute... Arrived at work with the bike covered in muck, quick clean and into the office I went.

Ha - can we expect to see people moaning about lycra clad racers on the B2B again then ;)?

Good luck at the TT. Some of my friends went to CC yesterday evening, I have never got around to going to see what it's all about.

Top Bottom