Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Not too bad out. Got wet on both last nights and this mornings commute. I decided to wear a lightweight rain jacket this morning, I was soon boiling in the ol' bag,
Looks like the wind is going to pick up and be a bit naughty for this afternoons commute home.
I just looked out the window wondering whether to ride this eve to see the sunflowers in the garden going over and the fence bowing. Nope!
Stay safe the weather is a bit sporty.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I just looked out the window wondering whether to ride this eve to see the sunflowers in the garden going over and the fence bowing. Nope!
Stay safe the weather is a bit sporty.
Just been for a walk.. its blowing a hoolie.
However, I've never come across wind so bad that I felt it's undafe to cycle.
All part of the daily commute fun.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just been for a walk.. its blowing a hoolie.
However, I've never come across wind so bad that I felt it's undafe to cycle.
All part of the daily commute fun.

About 20 years ago I used to commute to the station in Bristol over a flyover over the M32. I remember leaning at what felt like 45 degrees into the wind going over that...

StickyPTFE

I rode in today. Wanted to challenge myself, turned out to be an ok ride, all things considered. I got to work, stripped off and loaded my wet clobber into one of the low temperature ovens on the shopfloor. Now all my gear is dry ready to get soaked through on the way home.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Very windy here too although the heavy rain which was on the weather forecast didn’t appear. Slowest ride in for a long time and not much better coming home getting blown sideways most of the way.

Lovacott

Über Member
I drove the car today and that was bad enough. Part of my route to work is high up overlooking the Atlantic and some of the gusts were insane.

Winds are supposed to drop to 40mph by five in the morning so I will take a chance then. Wednesday afternoon for the return home looks fine.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Well, I got lucky with the weather as the rain here near the Suffolk coast wasn't that heavy for the early morning start and, by the time the wind had picked up in the afternoon, it was a mostly tail or side wind for the homeward leg.

Unfortunately I had to do a 3.5 mile walk of shame on the way in. I hit something with the front wheel which caused a very quick deflation. Whipped the wheel off and took the tube out, but couldn't get enough air into it to trace where the hole was to patch (it iurned out to be a large snakebite type so the tube was binned at work- even the small track pump I keep at work had trouble getting any pressure in). Quickly put in a new tube instead - too quickly it turned out as I didn't properly check the tyre was seated correctly so when the CO2 was added there was a very large bang as the tube found the gap and exploded!

C R

Guru
Well, I got lucky with the weather as the rain here near the Suffolk coast wasn't that heavy for the early morning start and, by the time the wind had picked up in the afternoon, it was a mostly tail or side wind for the homeward leg.

Unfortunately I had to do a 3.5 mile walk of shame on the way in. I hit something with the front wheel which caused a very quick deflation. Whipped the wheel off and took the tube out, but couldn't get enough air into it to trace where the hole was to patch (it iurned out to be a large snakebite type so the tube was binned at work- even the small track pump I keep at work had trouble getting any pressure in). Quickly put in a new tube instead - too quickly it turned out as I didn't properly check the tyre was seated correctly so when the CO2 was added there was a very large bang as the tube found the gap and exploded!
One of those days you feel like everything that could go wrong goes wrong.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Moist and some today ! NCN55 was starting to flood again in the usual places which might be interesting tomorrow if this rain doesn’t stop tonight.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One of those days you feel like everything that could go wrong goes wrong.
Oddly it wasn't that bad. There was only light rain, it was blustery but nothing strong, quite warm despite being 6:30 in the morning and I was wearing my Northwave boots where the cleats are fully recessed in the sole and (reltively) comfortable to walk in. I phoned work just after 7am when the others came in to warn them I'd be about half an hour late and they offered to come out and pick me up in one of the works' cars, but I was quite enjoying the walk along the seafront so declined!

Just got to remember to take in a spare tube to replace the one I keep in my locker just for days like this.

Reactions: C R

rivers

How far can I go?
First commute on the bike this week (winter bike went in for a service Monday so had to drop it in with the car, plus had my pupper as an office mate Monday and Tuesday, worked from home Wednesday and Thursday). As my winter bike is still in the shop waiting for a few parts, I had no choice but to take the summer bike today. I am well aware it's going to heave it down later, and I'm not happy about it getting wet. But I was greeted with this fun on the railway path today:

C R

Guru
First commute on the bike this week (winter bike went in for a service Monday so had to drop it in with the car, plus had my pupper as an office mate Monday and Tuesday, worked from home Wednesday and Thursday). As my winter bike is still in the shop waiting for a few parts, I had no choice but to take the summer bike today. I am well aware it's going to heave it down later, and I'm not happy about it getting wet. But I was greeted with this fun on the railway path today:

You are brave. Last time I tried to do that I hit the deck.

Top Bottom