Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
*searching around bedroom in semi-darkness* Where did I put that other leg warmer?

Finds it on leg.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Muggy for this mornings commute. Got a bit of a sweat on. Strange old weather considering I got wet on the way home due to the rain that wasnt forecast.

And... the schools are back today around my way. Traffic no where near pre Covid lockdown levels but a good barometer is a road into Bromley that I take. Normal weekday mornings I overtake 3/4 a mile of school run traffic. This morning its about half that. No doubt it will start to build up again.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
First really wet commute in ages. I put on a Ribble water resistant jersey which kept the worst off, and merino socks do stay warm when wet (thanks Planet X) under deteriorating overshoes. Did the usual 10 miles in regardless. Traffic was noticeably busier with the schools going back though:sad:.

rivers

How far can I go?
Also a wet commute in this morning. Currently have my kit set up in the dressing room at my "drying station" (portable heater and a bunch of chairs). Bit of a slow commute in due to last night's fun (?) on the turbo. The legs were definitely rebelling against me. Just a short ride home followed by a hill climb later today...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Delightful 15 miles in today, enjoyed some great birdsong and sight of a green woodpecker on the lanes.

Slightly marred near the start by a reckless overtake on a bend, which forced the oncoming driver to swerve/brake.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I`m back on No1 summer bike which has been in the garage this past year unloved :sad:. But due to a technical issue with my regular commuter, its gonna get a lot of miles put on it till I get the CX fixed. :okay:. It did remind me about the lack of miles put on it by a puncture on the way home. Dam i miss the tubeless tyres .

rivers

How far can I go?
You can tell the kids are back to school. The B2B was heaving this morning. I think I'll start leaving the house at 7:30 again. Roads weren't too bad, traffic still isn't quite back to pre-Covid levels on the couple miles of road I use in the morning. A tough ride in today though. I've been off work for the past 2 days due to illness (non-Covid), and I could feel it. Heart rate way up on a much lower effort this morning.

Twilkes

Guru
Riding at about 18mph, vaguely saw something brown blowing across the road to the side of me, probably a leaf. Felt a little sideways bump on the back wheel as if I'd hit a pebble at an angle but I don't think the wheel actually moved. So maybe it was a little piece of wood or stick that bounced off the rim.

Looking behind me there was a squirrel making its way to the pavement. Did I just get hit by a squirrel?

As if reading my thoughts, the driver in the car behind pulled alongside and said 'You just got hit by a squirrel.'

So I just got hit by a squirrel. Not quite the 'spokes of death' but couldn't have been far off.

Gez73

Veteran
I don't like cats!! G

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had a motor bike nearly clip me on a mini rounabout as the rider decided to chance it when i was turning right , i shouted a warnig and he turned around and chased me through the estate blocking me in and mouthing off , i nealry got hit by a car as i tried to undercut his attempt to block me in :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Riding at about 18mph, vaguely saw something brown blowing across the road to the side of me, probably a leaf. Felt a little sideways bump on the back wheel as if I'd hit a pebble at an angle but I don't think the wheel actually moved. So maybe it was a little piece of wood or stick that bounced off the rim.

Looking behind me there was a squirrel making its way to the pavement. Did I just get hit by a squirrel?

As if reading my thoughts, the driver in the car behind pulled alongside and said 'You just got hit by a squirrel.'

So I just got hit by a squirrel. Not quite the 'spokes of death' but couldn't have been far off.
ruddy rabbits inhabit the cycle path i use and they like to play chicken in front of me instead of just running into the bushes , one once ran in front of the wheel and had me off .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Punctured on the way home last night :sad:. Ran over something small a few miles earlier and the rear tyre picked it up before it was dislodged by the mudguard so I was half expecting a soggy tyre and a bit surprised to get so far before it became noticeable. At this point there was only 2 miles to go and dinner was due on the table so I gambled on the slow puncture and fired in a CO2 cartridge rather than swapping the inner tube. It was a gamble that paid off and after then sprinting the final couple of miles as fast as possible I arrived home with a tyre that was still reassuringly firm.
I woke up this morning and the first thing that came into my mind was 'be careful fixing this puncture, it could have been a hypodermic syringe'! :eek:
I think it might have been. Luckily no pointy bits left in the tyre (checked extremely carefully) but the tube was punctured with pin prick holes in two places where the needle had tried to pass right through.

While sorting the puncture on the pavement a car pulled up and a few people got out and just at this moment a kid came hurtling along the pavement at full speed on his e-scooter and weaved recklessly between us all without slowing at all. As it happens this was not my first encounter with him. Earlier in the week I caught and passed him riding along the main road in the dark on his black scooter, dressed all in black and weaving in and out of the parked cars and shadows. It was madness and I slowed down to tell him to get off the road because he WOULD get run over as he was very hard to see.
I just wonder what his parents think he is doing on this scooter at night? Not really an appropriate toy to give a child IMO.

Top Bottom