Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Arjimlad good luck with the police taking any action against mrangrypants.
Yesterday I commuted in for the first time in 3 months as I needed to train one of my colleagues for some work while I am away on Holiday.
well it turned out to be a right faff, took me ages to get out of the house as I kept realising I was leaving something vital behind ( water bottle, cycle park pass, key to bike lock etc etc)
Then within 1 mile on the road a car very nearly left hooked me and the car behind him just followed him and I had to brake and give him my best parade ground shout so we both came to a shuddering halt inches away from each other. Silly bugger apologised but he had just followed the car in front without looking.
Then literally 200 yds later at a cross roads a white van driver approaching from the opposite direction just cut in front of me I thought with very little space ( right hook) I shouted at him so he gave me the finger with a bored epression on his face. I thought brilliant welcome back. The next 11 miles were fine, I think I had re-booted my extra sense powers and was avoiding possible dangers.
Not many cyclists about and the only bit of SCR action was when I met a very young man ( probably 18 ) at some lights. I was in full cycle fig and he kept looking me up and down which I though a bit rude. He went off the lights like a bat out of hell but I reeled him in within 50yds then sat on him waiting for him to blow up. half a mile later his hamster spinning legs slowed considerably and I sauntered past.
Got to work and found I had dropped my sunglasses somewhere,( fell out of a back pocket) luckily I often break and damage sunglasses so they were my usual about 5 quids worth.
Cycle home was blessed as I missed all the rain and no incidents at all.

gzoom

Über Member
Anyone else get wet last two days, I get home drenched and 1hr after getting home its bone dry outside and my wife is wondering why I moaned so much about cycling in the rain!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yep - first wet* commute both ways for some time, plus the wind was starting to pick up for the homeward leg this evening.

*light rain/drizzle - not the heavy rain to the west of the country

dbeattie

Über Member
I was riding to work this morning, minding my own business, when suddenly a large quantity of seagull excrement splattered on the road about 3 feet in front and to the left of me, and I thought that could have been a lot worse.

gzoom

Über Member
No rain but will be gusty today, luckily the eBike is back with me after spending 2 weeks waiting for parts so will be taking that.

50249763703_040cfc25f6_c_d.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Mr Angrypants from Tuesday who didn't like me rapping lightly on the side of his car with my knuckles to stop him side-swiping me off the road, is being reported by the dashcam review ticket office, for driving w/o due care and public order offence of threatening behaviour.

Reading of a rider near Swindon who got beaten up badly by a Mercedes driver who close-passed him, where the rider appears to have merely raised a verbal objection or waved, perhaps I got off lightly!
The number of people who seem to be in a permanent state of rage behind the wheel (and in other everyday situations) is both astonishing and worrying.

13 rider

Guru
An interesting ride home battling mainly side winds and a block headwind for some of it . Lots of debris in the country lanes definitely a bit blowy

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was down to 8mph on the flat coming home tonight :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It’s looking decidedly sh....ty tomorrow once again ! Determined to keep it going. Just the wind that’s the spoiler, will it be strong enough to close the bridge to pedestrians and cyclists :sad:

Lovacott

Über Member
It’s looking decidedly sh....ty tomorrow once again ! Determined to keep it going. Just the wind that’s the spoiler, will it be strong enough to close the bridge to pedestrians and cyclists :sad:
I rode yesterday and got an absolute soaking. I didn't bother wearing a jacket because the one I bought for £25 quid cooks me from the inside out and I end up getting soaked with sweat instead (maybe it will make a good winter jacket?).

I arrived at work looking like I'd jumped in the river fully clothed. I take a towel and my work clothes with me along with spare undies and socks. I leave my work boots at work. It didn't take me long to go from drowned rat to looking half respectable again.

I cycled home wearing my work boots and left my trainers at work to dry out overnight. Today, I'm driving in because 60mph winds are forecast.

Wednesday looks better but at the moment 40mph is forecast at 6am so I'll have to see what it is actually like when I get up tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not too bad out. Got wet on both last nights and this mornings commute. I decided to wear a lightweight rain jacket this morning, I was soon boiling in the ol' bag,
Looks like the wind is going to pick up and be a bit naughty for this afternoons commute home.

Top Bottom