Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've noticed before that the daylight difference is less extreme here, I'm well south of the most southerly part of the UK, and often the amount of daylight we have is noticable shorter at this time of year.
I spent some time in Southern China a few years back and being near the Equator, it was literally as though someone had just turned off the light.

There was hardly any difference in sunset times between summer and winter. It was something like an hour or so (from memory.

Here in the UK, it varies by about six hours and in places like Aberdeen, night almost becomes day in June.

I spent some time in Southern China a few years back and being near the Equator, it was literally as though someone had just turned off the light.

There was hardly any difference in sunset times between summer and winter. It was something like an hour or so (from memory.

Here in the UK, it varies by about six hours and in places like Aberdeen, night almost becomes day in June.

I've experienced similar in Japan: The sky and everything else glows pink then after 15 minutes it's dark.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottled it this morning. My local roads are covered in snow from yesterday and with the minus temperatures have mostly turned to ice. Very treacherous. Its very rare that I don't cycle commute. But today was the day.
1612780590642.png

I bus w@nkered it instead. Which takes longer than a cycle commute.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Bottled it this morning. My local roads are covered in snow from yesterday and with the minus temperatures have mostly turned to ice. Very treacherous. Its very rare that I don't cycle commute. But today was the day.
View attachment 572805
Sensible. Pal of mine fell off in the last snow & ice and bust his hip, now got months off the bike recovering. It is not worth it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sensible. Pal of mine fell off in the last snow & ice and bust his hip, now got months off the bike recovering. It is not worth it.

Indeed. We are still having flurries of snow in London at the moment.
The main roads however are very clear, the gritters did a good job.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
View attachment 572805
i will be in the car for the next few days too on night shift , it was like that when i got up today and its still snowing

don't get enough snow to warrant studded tires?

Johnno260

Veteran
View attachment 572805

Totally sensible its not just if you slip, it's people not driving to the conditions that make it more hazardous.

Totally sensible its not just if you slip, it's people not driving to the conditions that make it more hazardous.

Honestly, I find it safer when there's snow on the roads because drivers take it more seriously. It's when the snow melts and refreezes so it's more slippery and less visible that the problems start because drivers tend to assume it's business as usual.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cold, but not much snow today, hardly any yesterday either so roads were fine. With the cold weather the traffic is almost approaching lockdown #1 levels.

Still pretty light when I got home :smile: At eight I went back out on the Elephant bike with the trailer to do shopping- had some bulky stuff like cat litter to get. Hardly anyone in Sainsbury's. A little falling snow on the way home- I was nice and warm so it was very pleasant.

Top Bottom