Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Even more of the A4147 was closed this evening- I had to sneak around some barriers to get through (and past a standoff in the lane between a truck and a woman in an SUV)- anyway, on the newly-closed part there were quite a few young people riding and scooting around! it was excellent!

A4147.png

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Long time since I’ve cycled in and out of work. Three days this week, getting back into it but painful !! Puppy is sleeping longer now so morning commutes are back on rather than the car !

Tom B

Guru
Poo.

Came home from work in the early hours. Opened the back gate and felt a bit of squash resistance. Stepped into the garden. Squish!

Damn dog has done a dump behind the gate, the gate had smeared it across the path and the bit that didn't get smeared I stood in.

Dogdump in the cleats, just what you need at 2am.

To make matters worse it was raining, it's bin day today so I had to clean everything up to put the bins (and the holidaying neighbours bins) out.

To add insult to injury as I was hosing the path down the end blew off the hose and squirted me square in the face clown style... If only I had Cctv and YBF was still going...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Punks.png

I've got to ask myself one question: do I feel lucky?

! update- I was lucky. No more than a brief shower. Sounds like it's getting going now though.

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Must say today's commute was rather pleasant along the canal. Two tricky cobbled bridges to negotiate, one you've got to walk down as it's stepped and slippy, then a rather 'interesting' bridge under Alan Turing way which is right next to a lock. Very tight switchback - says cyclist's dismount- I know why now - I went down both legs out sat on the top tube :laugh:. I'll go up the ramp and dash across the dual carriageway instead.

Panniers were heavy - not ridden with them for a while. The old MTB is a tank, but felt more of a tank today. I did set a strava second fastest time over a 3 mile flat stretch, so can't be too much slower. Ride home will be a little more jiggery pokery getting across near Piccadilly station than this morning - need to work out a decent route.

I'm sure it's great to be back on the commute!

I've never tried the AT bridge downhill, but I walk up it. Still seems easier than crossing the road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well this mornings commute was wetter than an otters pocket. Not heavy rain, but non stop rain for the whole hours commute. Savings grace that it's not cold and that the schools are off so made for decent progress quite quickly.

So that's the 26th rainy commute of the year. It's proving to be a wet one.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A4147 was open again this morning but what with leaving 20 minutes earlier than usual and drivers probably being unaware (scheduled closure was longer than actual) it was dead quiet again today.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Was going to ride the fixed tomorrow because it'll probably rain but when cleaning the rims noticed what looked like a little split in the front tyre and when I poked at it the rubber started peeling away from the carcass. Got my money's worth out of that one.

Got a nice new Schwalbe something-or-other on there now (whatever was available at the bike hub at the weekend)

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
First commute in 16 months today.

Hosed it down all the way there. Brakes not filling me with much confidence. Weatherproofs on, so soaking inside as well as outside. Overshoes and Sealskins socks proved useless. Tons of stuff in the panniers adding considerable weight, which given I've also put on about 15kg, I could have done without.

The climb to Crystal Palace felt like Ventoux.

Needless to say the rain stopped when I got to work. However, after a sunny day, it started again about ten to five, ready for me to go home in it. This time it was like a monsoon. Dulwich was basically a series of lakes. The sodding hill up to Crystal Palace was even harder.

The rain stopped the moment I got off the bike outside my house. I stripped the garage. My clothes all made slapping sounds as they hit the floor.

I'd still rather do all of that than take my chances with the anti-maskers on the train.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Hosed it down all the way there. Brakes not filling me with much confidence. Weatherproofs on, so soaking inside as well as outside. Overshoes and Sealskins socks proved useless. Tons of stuff in the panniers adding considerable weight, which given I've also put on about 15kg, I could have done without.

Needless to say the rain stopped when I got to work. However, after a sunny day, it started again about ten to five, ready for me to go home in it. This time it was like a monsoon. Dulwich was basically a series of lakes. The sodding hill up to Crystal Palace was even harder.

The rain stopped the moment I got off the bike outside my house. I stripped the garage. My clothes all made slapping sounds as they hit the floor.

I'd still rather do all of that than take my chances with the anti-maskers on the train.
At least you're back on the bike on the commute.
Yesterday was the same for me. In the warmer months there's absolutely no point in putting on any wet weather gear. As you found, rain gets through anyway. Its more for keeping warm rather then dry.
I just wore my usual summer commute gear yesterday, got wet but wasn't cold.

rivers

How far can I go?

Well done on getting back on the bike for the commute. To keep water out of the feet either velotoze or overshoes that have latex at that top. The latex needs to rest directly on the skin

C R

Guru
Well done on getting back on the bike for the commute. To keep water out of the feet either velotoze or overshoes that have latex at that top. The latex needs to rest directly on the skin
I have a pair of neoprene socks I got from Lidl a couple of years back. Together with a pair of neoprene overshoes also from Lidl they keep the rain well away from my feet. Feet still get wet from the boil in the bag effect, but stay warm.

Top Bottom