Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As @ianrauk said, you get wet either way, the main advantage is not getting cold water on your feet.

I tend to wear hiking/trekking boots when riding because I need the ankle support: they are pretty good at keeping my feet dry.

Reactions: C R

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
As @ianrauk said, you get wet either way, the main advantage is not getting cold water on your feet.
The Sealskinz socks I have are meant to be water resistant. By and large, they are, and they were a worthwhile investment.

On days like yesterday, though... Well, it would have been like trying to stop a tsunami with a table tennis bat.

Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Sealskinz socks I have are meant to be water resistant. By and large, they are, and they were a worthwhile investment.

On days like yesterday, though... Well, it would have been like trying to stop a tsunami with a table tennis bat.
I really like my Sealskinz socks. They work for me but know they don't for others or others don't get on with them.
Apart from being waterproof, they do make for brilliant freezing cold weather footwear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well that was a much better, more enjoyable, pleasant cycle commute this morning. Nice, mildly warm sunny, dry morning.

Not 'oop North' - Wet.

My next commute is 31st August (Tuesday). There is a good chance I'll be commuting more by bike again as MrsF has applied for a parking space (has got - salary sacrifice), and given the choice, I can ride in on my new route. We won't be car sharing too much as the route I'd take to drop her off is congested. I think my 'office' hours will be a bit less 'formal' than MrsF's - I'll be in when needed, rather than set days.

I've literally just been given parking space (today), which I pay for - it's the only benefit I've had from breaking my spine - I have a doctors note that says my 'condition' is permanent. I'd never applied for one before my accident.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Not a commute but driving my partner to a dental appointment earlier today, I was waiting at a red traffic light and idly watching a cyclist riding the opposite way when a transit van decided to overtake him. I was so concerned that there wasn't enough space for this that I only realsied how close he was when the van clipped my wing mirror. No damage was done (to the cyclist or my car), but what an absolute c*ck and for the sake if saving probably less than two seconds out of his journey.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As stupid twat on an electric bike nearly had me off this morning. I was waiting at a junction at red, lights turned to go, I push off gaining speed quite quick when this prat decided to left hook me nearly taking out my front wheel. It was very close. I couldn't be arsed to follow him as was on my way to work, but low and behold he came out of a side road about a mile further down the road. Once again turning into the road without stopping or looking. I just managed to catch up with him (which surprised him no end) and called him out but he decided to ignore me and zoomed off at a silly unrestricted electric bike speed. once again I couldn't be arsed to try catch him.
Ruined a thoroughly pleasant commute this morning.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
I've long since stopped worrying about staying dry and now just worry about staying warm. Don't mind being wet as long as I'm warm. Chose clothing that keeps you warm when wet.

The problem with waterproof boots and socks is the big holes in them where your hands and feet go in.

If I'm remotely bothered I either use waterproof booties, boots or walking boots and over trousers taped with insulting tape around the ankles.

Tom B

Guru
As stupid twat on an electric bike nearly had me off this morning. I was waiting at a junction at red, lights turned to go, I push off gaining speed quit quick when this prat decided to left hook me nearly taking out my front wheel. It was very close. I couldn't be arsed to follow him as was on my way to work, but low and behold he came out of a side road about a mile further down the road. Once again turning into the road without stopping or looking. I just managed to catch up with him (which surprised him no end) and called him out but he decided to ignore me and zoomed off at a silly unrestricted electric bike speed. once again I couldn't be arsed to try catch him.
Ruined a thoroughly pleasant commute this morning.

There are couple of them near me... Usually retirement age+ coffin Dodgers. Probably daily mail reading sorts who always slag cyclists off.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a great commute today. Got out at 7.15 intending to extend it to pass through Tortworth and Damery to do a 23 mile route. As I left my house I spotted lots of hot air balloons and followed these northwards for 12 miles before turning back south with a moderate headwind. Saw a beautiful roe doe, paused to allow her to calm down and make good her escape. No bad driving at all. I needed that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
17 miles of mizzle commuting this morning. Is this August or what?
I'll call it the 27th rainy commute for this year.

Had a nice bit of silly commuter racing this morning with a leccy bike. For a nice change, not an illegal one. He was quick off the mark but once at speed I had no trouble staying ahead. I had to work a bit up a hill though where he slowly wheeled me in but I got to the top first.. just.
Jolly good fun, jolly good work out. Jolly good ride... despite the mizzle.

17 miles of mizzle commuting this morning. Is this August or what?
I'll call it the 27th rainy commute for this year.

Had a nice bit of silly commuter racing this morning with a leccy bike. For a nice change, not an illegal one. He was quick off the mark but once at speed I had no trouble staying ahead. I had to work a bit up a hill though where he slowly wheeled me in but I got to the top first.. just.
Jolly good fun, jolly good work out. Jolly good ride... despite the mizzle.

In a similar vein while riding my elderly steel tourer with hub dynamo and metal mudguards on the evening commute today, I overtook a couple of leisure cyclists on high-end carbon bikes going for their annual bike ride.

To make it worse I was going uphill at the time.

Top Bottom