Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just out of the habit that’s all. Was 30 miles a day which I was managing. Just got lazy due to various reasons. However getting my head round it again .
good to hear you're back on it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Uneventful first commute for 18 months, pleasantly surprised to find locker contents still here.

I can report what smart shoes look like after 18 months unattended in a changing room!

That's not good news and very frustrating for you. I'll probably not submit them anymore just upload them to YouTube.

GMP used to have a portal for submitting videos, but I can't find it anymore. It was done under operartion "considerate"
I submitted 23 videos and all but one were deemed to be bad (or good) enough for them to take some kind of action. I have no idea what action was taken, but someone else I know followed up on the stuff they submitted and i was about a 50/50 split between points/course or a letter reminding them of their driving standards.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
GMP used to have a portal for submitting videos, but I can't find it anymore. It was done under operartion "considerate"
I submitted 23 videos and all but one were deemed to be bad (or good) enough for them to take some kind of action. I have no idea what action was taken, but someone else I know followed up on the stuff they submitted and i was about a 50/50 split between points/course or a letter reminding them of their driving standards.

They still have the option to do this, it's via report a crime I think on the website.

sasquath

Who'd have thought there'd be room for a cyclist and a Transit van side by side at the give way arrow here?

Not me, until the van driver turned up as I approached the mini roundabout 🤦☹
View attachment 609771
And that is why you should approach it bang in the middle. Carry on trough in the middle and move over after island on the other end.
As a rule when there is not enough room for safe overtake position yourself in a way that makes unsafe overtake impossible.

I have not been commuting by push bike for a few years, for various reasons. I did the commute one day this week. I had forgotten how inconsiderate and stupid some motorists can be in rush hour traffic.
It seems you need a different mindset when commuting, defensive riding being the order of the day.

defensive riding
...and driving, is always the order of the day.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
And that is why you should approach it bang in the middle. Carry on trough in the middle and move over after island on the other end.
As a rule when there is not enough room for safe overtake position yourself in a way that makes unsafe overtake impossible.
I'd just emerged from a painted cycle lane and was going to take primary when chuckles stuck his van next to me 🤦

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Highways agency have been and cut the branch that had been dragged across the quietway!

Next the replacement of the bollard- someone has already reported it but might report it again anyhow.

sasquath

Highways agency have been and cut the branch that had been dragged across the quietway!

Next the replacement of the bollard- someone has already reported it but might report it again anyhow.
That bollard might be the workers access point. Or is there a proper gate/padlock removable bollard/post?

Drove in today, only to find major junction under 3 way temporary traffic lights. Added 35 minutes to 10 minute journey. Dreading commute back. It will be an 1hr queue, or massive detour and 45 minute crawl.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That bollard might be the workers access point. Or is there a proper gate/padlock removable bollard/post?

There was a cast-iron bollard at the top but it's broken. Sometimes it sits loosely in the hole, sometimes it is removed and left on the verge.

Needs a new bollard, a locking one would work well in the event that the road ever gets swept.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
First commute to work today. First time riding through the city too. It was interesting. And I had a huge smug look in my face as I zoomed past all the traffic.

Nothing to report of note other than the feeling of freedom at not being stuck in a steel box.

There was one numpty in a white van who passed very close to me despite the other lane being completely empty.

And finally, apologies for the lack of photos.The journey took every second of the time window I had (childcare aka breakfast club opening and my being on time for work).

Top Bottom