Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Bad for a waistline too ;)

If it was cheaper then it probably would be, however its a weekly treat at most I expect.

Alex321

Veteran
Hitting our new Manchester office 3 days a week now, which hopefully will help the waistline if I can keep lunch time excursions to the minimum.

We started going in 2 days a week from last week. We still have to book desks for each time we go in, because only abit more than half of them are in use.

I went in Wednesday and Friday, and have booked the same for the next few weeks. Takes me round about an hour each way elapsed time.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
We started going in 2 days a week from last week. We still have to book desks for each time we go in, because only abit more than half of them are in use.

I went in Wednesday and Friday, and have booked the same for the next few weeks. Takes me round about an hour each way elapsed time.

We are the same with booking desks, we have actually moved to smaller offices dues to the mixed working. Takes me roughly an hour door to door going at a nice easy pace, which I think is ideal, I also avoid the most direct route, so I actually ride 9 miles but the shortest route is about 6. When I used to get the train it would take between 45 mins and an hour, so pretty much on par.

Alex321

Veteran
We are the same with booking desks, we have actually moved to smaller offices dues to the mixed working. Takes me roughly an hour door to door going at a nice easy pace, which I think is ideal, I also avoid the most direct route, so I actually ride 9 miles but the shortest route is about 6. When I used to get the train it would take between 45 mins and an hour, so pretty much on par.
Ours are considering moving to a smaller office when the current lease runs out in May.

It is just over 15 miles for me - 15.8 on the way in, 15.2 on the way home (longer way in to avoid a steep hill at the start). That is using back roads until fairly close to the centre of Cardiff. Train really isn't practical for me, and driving would vary considerably depending on traffic. I think I'd usually beat the worst of it on the way in, and do the journey in about half an hour, but going home would most likely usually be more like 50 minutes.,

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Getting involved in the quietway shenanigans myself now- went past a van stuck at the barrier at the bottom of the lane today so when I got to the top I replaced the barrier and the bollard (despite my gammy arm).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Six degrees this morning, cold enough for a warm jersey/jacket over a vest, and a thin reflective gilet on top. Not sure what I can shed & carry home this evening though when it'll be 9 degrees warmer !

Winter gloves for the first time this season too. A lovely sunny ride chasing a fine cock pheasant along a lane until he broke into flight back to his wood.

rivers

How far can I go?
Six degrees this morning, cold enough for a warm jersey/jacket over a vest, and a thin reflective gilet on top. Not sure what I can shed & carry home this evening though when it'll be 9 degrees warmer !

Winter gloves for the first time this season too. A lovely sunny ride chasing a fine cock pheasant along a lane until he broke into flight back to his wood.

I chucked my long sleeve gabba over my short sleeve jersey, and popped my leg warmers on. If needed, I'll pack the gabba into my saddlebag for the ride home. I'm glad I put my handlebar mitts onto the winter bike when it was raining last week. At least my hands were toasty this morning. My wahoo was reading 1-2 on my way in this morning. And it felt it.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Certainly was cooler this morning. I was glad I put my buff on as my first 2km is down hill so no chance to warm up.

Went with just my thin softshell jacket and a short sleeve jersey, plus gloves.

On a plus point my order from Freewheel with more of their bargain Hump gear arrived today, so got a couple more pairs of shorts which have become my commute / office favourites.

Howard_Moon

Regular
No fog on the Tyne this morning
20211013_074044.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Had a 'beeper' yesterday evening. Twice in one section of road- residential area, shops- hardly holding him* up. Mildly close overtake followed. Overtook the same car a minute later in a small queue at a junction. I don't mind, but for consistency I would prefer he had beeped the cars in front until they cleared the junction.

*assumption, but likely.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
When we where deciding on a new office I successfully petitioned for secure bike storage, however having the Brompton I have not needed to use it yet, so I thought I better use it today so came in on the road bike.

Door to door I was 10 mins faster and not really any more sweaty.

Carradice Saddle Bag was perfect for my laptop and change of clothes.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_081601.jpg
    IMG_20211013_081601.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Had to rush home this afternoon which I timed very badly and lost about 5 minutes wading through the students off to lectures, it was walking place.

Still shaved 5 mins off my normal time.

Top Bottom