Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just one from yesterday’s commute with no destruction from the local thieves . Moonrise over Little Hulton
1CD45A66-D52A-4F1F-8D82-2252A83E9439.jpeg

I noticed catching the train this morning that far less people bothered with masks despite the repeated messages on the tannoy to wear them.
Over the weekend fitted a single chainring guide, no dropped chain for me today!
Towards the end of my commute I saw the 3 man convey I had gone past on Wednesday. I saw them all stop and go into a cafe, all looked to be of the retired variety. I thought it a bit wierd to have a old fellas ride before 08:00 on a weekday and was this a regular thing?

My first commute today since the start of December last year. Its just 1 mile to the train station and 11 miles at the other end. There wasn't anything of note, except when I got to the office and folks said it was icy, Lol, I had come down the road at tempo/threshold and whilst it was fresh the roads were lovely and dry :laugh: Quite pleased now I know the route, I've got it down to 45mins in the morning and 47mins in the dark.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Forgive me Cyclechatters, for I have sinned.

Today, for the first time in two years I drove into work instead of cycled. In my defense I got back home after a night away just 30 minutes before I was due to start work and (only) just didn't have enough time to change, bike to work and then change into uniform when I got there. Then to rub it in, I was sent out to examine a trailer load of Trek bikes :laugh:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Left work early today to go to the dentist- so got to ride in daylight! (disappointing- I felt I was going slower than usual, also it looked like rain).

Got home, changed and switched bikes to ride to the dentist- Elephant bike for that. Nice ride through the eastern end of the Ebury Way, slippery shoes so riding with my heels right up against the pedals which is the best way to ride an Elephant bike. In Riverside park the overhanging trees I reported have been cut back. The sun was shining now and I could feel the warmth for the first time in ages. No gloves, coat flapping open.

Then to the dentist, parked up at Bushy station in their bike room (it smelled of weed), walked the short distance to the dentist. Had a cleaning, arranged a filling for Saturday - finally aged 50+ I've found a dentist I like (I've been so many times in the last year). The dentist gave me a gift card because Ms. P keeps referring people to her.

Then a short ride to B&Q- I wanted some paint mixing to cover a gap in a seam in some blue wallpaper and they have this amazing paint mixing machine- first they scan the sample, then the result gets input into a machine which automatically doses a pot of base paint with the right colours, then it goes in a shaker. Got a tester pot of paint made up for that job and a really small tin of exterior black to repaint the front step.

Then rode into town for a haircut- and my day just got even better- the barber understood just what I wanted -long like that here- how do you style it? just muss it up here in front? - YES! exactly. Gave a £6 tip. When I was unlocking my bike outside a guy said "nice bike, sir"

Then to Sainsbury's for cat litter and other bulky stuff (I had the bike so why not?). Also picked up a Duvel for later.

Got to have been one of the best commuting days ever.

Sixmile

Veteran
First off of the year and first ever spill on the tandem I think. I was on route to pick up my eldest from school and took a right hand corner I take hundreds of times throughout the year, front wheel went and I landed in the middle of the road. Thankfully there were no cars oncoming or close behind. The car coming out of the side road had a brief glance at me then drove on. My right knee took most of the impact and bar both handlebars being twisted round, I think the bike got off scot free.

Last edited:
First commute for a week, after my last commute came down with the Lurgy been feeling rough all week. ( defo not Covid) This morning decided to take it easy there was a nasty biting 16mph crosswind. The plan for a easy ride was working fine until at the 15 mile point I got the on your right mate and a guy went past. I recognised him as the bloke who went past the other week on a green Stevens Cx but this time on a road bike with probably 28mm road tyres. ( I recognised the back pack, riding style and dhb tights). He managed well on the mix of mud/hard pack etc and when we got to the rubbish tarmac he started to drop me. I thought I'll get him back on the really rough stuff ahead but no he dropped even more through the really rough lane with slick bits of mud and foot deep puddles .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Headwind! also this morning it was like gaining an extra 20 minutes of daylight all at once (it was overcast most of last week)
Yep, didn't need the lights on this morning. Fair blowy too. Especially around the tower blocks of Lewisham.
Should be a cracking ride home with that wind.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Tough ride to work this morning after 7 days off the bike with a flu bug. A bit grey, somehow a few drivers had missed the Highway Code update about leaving 1.5m for cyclists though :wacko:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nice today, looking forward to the ride home. Ms P dried the washing outside.

If I leave on time it'll be dusky rather than dark when I get home.

31-01.png

Alex321

Veteran
I'll be going back in on Wednesday. Will be dark when I leave home (just after 7AM), but should be light enough to not need the light to see with from about 20 minutes in, and for at least half the ride home (leaving the office about 16:40).

Top Bottom