Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not raining here. Peak canal rather soggy, but decent ride in, fairly breezy (headwind) but pretty mild. The new Co-Op Live Arena is coming on - it's going to be massive (next door to Etihad).

In the morning I had that satisfying moment of a MGIF who was determined to get to that mile long queue one and a half car lengths in front of me :hello:

I maybe should have thanked this evenings SMIDSY (or maybe I am too big and important to stop). Pulled straight out onto a mini roundabout in front of me so he could join a big queue, fortunately it was dry and I anticipated the muppet doing it. When he responded to my shouts of feckin idiot, my thoughts were at least your ears are working. It must have got my hr into the right zone though for a pb commute, so a belated thanks Mr big posh car driver.

On the final approach to my village there is a short wooden pedestrian covered bridge linking the levees alongside the river and a road. It has a roof, is relatively out of the way, fairly quiet and has a railing wide enough for beer bottles it is a favourite among the local youth. It's also unlit. As I approached yesterday I saw several bikes in my headlights so I knew the usual crowd were blocking the entrance.

Pinged bell and turned.

"Evening, mate" came a cheery voice as I turned.
Evening lads"
The speaker turned along the bridge "Hey, cyclist coming through, move over; Oi Kris, wake up, someone wants to cross"
Further down 'Kris' Looked up from his phone.
"Oh, sorry mate." he moved away.
"No worries. Thanks lads" I said as I crossed
"Any time mate, have a good evening."
"And you..."

Honestly, what is the youth of today coming to?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chilly willy time again this morning. Bit frosty out there. Lovely blue sky, sunny commute though.
Only soured by a div hi viz custard cyclist who decided to over take me as I was indicating to move right. Gave me the fright of my life. He heard me call him a dick head and was lucky he got through the next set of lights before they changed on me.

Etern4l

On the final approach to my village there is a short wooden pedestrian covered bridge linking the levees alongside the river and a road. It has a roof, is relatively out of the way, fairly quiet and has a railing wide enough for beer bottles it is a favourite among the local youth. It's also unlit. As I approached yesterday I saw several bikes in my headlights so I knew the usual crowd were blocking the entrance.

Pinged bell and turned.

"Evening, mate" came a cheery voice as I turned.
Evening lads"
The speaker turned along the bridge "Hey, cyclist coming through, move over; Oi Kris, wake up, someone wants to cross"
Further down 'Kris' Looked up from his phone.
"Oh, sorry mate." he moved away.
"No worries. Thanks lads" I said as I crossed
"Any time mate, have a good evening."
"And you..."

Honestly, what is the youth of today coming to?

At a similar spot in London these days, you would suddenly exoerience a massive force hitting you in the head, followed by a brief flash of bright light, then darkness and possibly some faint heavenly voice.

Commute this morning started of nicely, at the 8 mile point i had someone to chase/pace me on my way. It was a real puddle fest this morning so no drafting. I went past him at the 10 mile point and he gradually lost contact.
Then 3 miles from work I did a stupid thing, I took some wet off camber cobbles at too much speed and strangely slipped got caught in a large crack in the cobbles, front wheel suddenly steered into the railings and ended up going headfirst into them and somersaulted over the bars to end on my back with a whack. Steering well out of true so had to get the tools out and straighten it all up.

I was winded but otherwise ok, no doubt will feel it later though.

Yet again caught up with the old gadgers cafe group, 4 of them today though.

At work I got informed that I was to work from home for the rest of the week due to electrical work in the office, so no more commuting this week, the turbo beckons.
Despite my acrobatics this morning I was only slightly stiff in the back for the pleasant commute home. That was until I got to West Ham Station where some young guy started to question me about my bike, how much was it etc etc. I figured he was more likely to be a scrote working out whether it was worth the hassle of fighting me for the bike rather than a genuinely interested potential cyclist. So I curtly told him that was all my business and not his. He got the message and sloped off.

Alex321

Veteran
Soggy ride in today. I have commandeered a radiator in the office move, so now drying my kit on it at the side of my desk. Fortunately I'm near a wall so can tuck the radiator and widow twanky's washing out of sight.
We are lucky in that we have a tumble drier available in the office, so after a wet ride (like you, this morning's ride was very much a wet one), I can dry my riding clothes ready for the evening ride home.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last week' re-jig of the locker room made all the plug sockets inaccessible so I threatened to move the clothes dryer into the file storage room if it wasn't sorted. Someone found an extension lead just in time for today's somewhat wet & windy commute.

Alex321

Veteran
It felt like riding through treacle into the headwind on the way to work. And the tailwind was not as strong as I hoped on the way home.
I had a tailwind on the way in, and then the wind had dropped considerably for most of the ride home, though what was still there was a headwind of course.

Took a different route home to usual though, because I needed new brake pads, and Decathlon (at Culverhouse Cross) seem to be the only local store with any in stock compatible with a 105 disc brake set.

That meant I was riding most of the way home on the A48 - a rather busier road than the back roads I usually take. But there were 50 yards of roadworks in Bonvilston, with defective lights, which meant traffic was backed up to beyond ST Nicholas (around 2 miles of tailback). While I was of course able to sail past all the near stationary traffic, it still slowed me noticeably, and added to about 6 extra sets of traffic lights on the way out of Cardiff, meant I only averaged 14.4 mph, when I usually manage over 15 on the way home.

I don't think I will generally ride that way out of choice.

Top Bottom