Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well, I'm more productive at work but opportunity for a lunchtime nap was good.

Back to the usual on Monday. Just noticed there's a smashed chimney pot in the alleyway, don't know if it's ours or the neighbours- can't say I ever counted them.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just noticed there's a smashed chimney pot in the alleyway, don't know if it's ours or the neighbours- can't say I ever counted them.

Looked on Streetview- there were four of them, each with a little cowl over the top. And there are still four, each with it's little cowl over the top.

Looked at the neighbours house on Streetview and they have two, and they still have two.

So god knows what the smashed masonry is in the alleyway.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Last night saw proper pouring rain & a vicious westerly gale - you could see lines of water on the road moving east.
Anytime moving south was battling & risking crosswinds strong enough to throw you off the bike.
A lot of branches & twig debris around. Still, the tailwind meant being able to pull higher gears & get home sooner. All good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A fair old breezy ride into work this morning. It was very blustery. Having to be aware of any out of nowhere gusts and at times a vicious headwind made for slower going. At time's having to rely on a death grip of the handlebars.
One particular road of which I call windy alley for obvious reasons as a nightmare. I turned into it and near come to a standstill. It was if someone had put a hand on my chest to try push me back. Tough old work.
Fingers cross for a far easier ride home later.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Looked on Streetview- there were four of them, each with a little cowl over the top. And there are still four, each with it's little cowl over the top.

Looked at the neighbours house on Streetview and they have two, and they still have two.

So god knows what the smashed masonry is in the alleyway.
You might even call it masonawry.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Blowy this morning, but only alarmingly so on the most exposed bit while crossing the M25. Expecting maybe a bit of assistance on the way home as the wind should swing around to the NW.

Now it's light in the mornings and evenings I can see how dirty my bike is.

Having not ridden through the storms I was interested to see how my Canal path route was. turned out not too bad, lots of twigs and cack about but only one tree blown over low so i had to get off and limbo under it and another small one completely down but I could skirt around it. Bloody chain came off on the daft stone corrugations and when I put it back on found that stupid noise where the chain is on the wrong teeth of the narrow wide jockey wheel so had to stop again to sort that out.
NB face mask wearing on the train now seems to be very now NOT in fashion.

Worth a mention, I looked on flyby and saw I had overtaken someone on a 16 mile journey. I thought I never overtook a cyclist at that point. Went into the guys activity, 16 mile run at a 7.43 mph average ( not tarmac canal path) . Looks like the guy runs 48 miles a week. Not bad going I thought.

Nothing really interesting happened on my commute. There was a change of route for me because of gasworks (the alternate circa 3m wide lane was a little worse for wear after the recent storms), the usual SMIDSY/IDGAFs/MGIFs (nothing unexpected) and I finally got to grips with the cycle entrance to the office (I had been going round the maze of a building to the cycle store and entrance rather than going through it).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For the first time in a few commutes the wind was only at 'very breezy' strength, rather than 'this is fecking ridiculous' strength. The rain showers both ways were an unwelcome addition.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It was still light enough when I got home last night that- even after leaving work a little late- I had enough light to clean my bike.

This morning was chilly and bright, sun not quite up when I left. Stopped to take photographs at one point. Overtook a guy on a Pinarello with bare legs whose shorts needed replacing (it's rare I see anyone else going my way). Saw someone I know walking her dogs (wife of a drummer I was in a band with until a few years ago) and noticed she had a couple of extra dogs so stopped to ask about that and catch up quickly.

Top Bottom